You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-07 08:32:24

fantab

journalctl lists issues and warnings

I have recently installed Arch_64bit-gnome and I have noticed the following when I run journalctl -xn:

Dec 07 18:45:55 XXXX pulseaudio[473]: [pulseaudio] bluetooth-util.c: org.bluez.Manager.ListAdapters() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and
Dec 07 18:45:56 XXXX gnome-session[405]: Gtk-CRITICAL: _gtk_css_section_to_string: assertion `section != NULL' failed
Dec 07 18:45:56 XXXX gnome-session[405]: WARNING: Can't load fallback CSS resource: (null)Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist
Dec 07 18:45:58 XXXX goa[533]: goa-daemon version 3.6.2 starting [main.c:112, main()]

Additional info:
I have not installed pulseaudio.
I have bluez installed.
I haven't noticed any visible issues when running my desktop. If I hadn't checked 'journalctl' I wouldn't have known about these issues.

I need forum help to understand what the above issues mean and relevant guidance is resolving the same.

Thanks..

"Evolution is the nature's way of issuing upgrades".

#2 2012-12-07 13:12:36

fantab

Re: journalctl lists issues and warnings

Ok..

I managed to get rid of the first issue by enabling 'bluetooth.service'. However, I don't really need this service. It'd be better if I can enable and disable it as and when I need it. Ideally, I want to keep it disabled but without any issues. (yes, I can ignore journalctl) but if there is a way to 'disable' it without it being reported as "bluez.service failed to load', it would be nice.

The following is latest from journalctl -xn:

Dec 07 18:11:17 xxxx gnome-session[424]: Gtk-CRITICAL: _gtk_css_section_to_string: assertion `section != NULL' failed
Dec 07 18:11:17 xxxx gnome-session[424]: WARNING: Can't load fallback CSS resource: (null)Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist
Dec 07 18:11:19 xxxx goa[554]: goa-daemon version 3.6.2 starting [main.c:112, main()]

I've still got two issues which I need to understand...
I am guessing that next two issues could be related to GTK theme parsing... by the way, I am not using the default theme, adwaita.

Any suggestions?

#3 2012-12-07 17:04:02

rogue
Website

From what I can tell, the "gtk-fallback.css" file is a part of the Adwaita Gnome theme. Being that you are only receiving a warning, and otherwise I'd assume there you have no theme related issues, I'd say that it's not really a problem. The theme is missing a "fallback" style sheet.

From the Gnome dev page, "[Goa-daemon] ... will be automatically started by dbus-daemon(1) whenever an application sends a D-Bus message to the org.gnome.OnlineAccounts name on the session bus." No issue there.

I'm not really sure what is going on with your bluetooth thing, although it would appear that you have pulseaudio installed as the message was logged under it's name.

As an aside, journalctl will show you logs of all types of things, not just the bad stuff. The bad things are normally in red. Check this out for more information on using the journal.

Last edited by rogue (2012-12-07 17:08:17)

#4 2012-12-07 17:38:56

fantab

Thank you rouge.

Yes, the the following in messages from my OP were indeed in red:

Dec 07 18:45:55 XXXX pulseaudio[473]: [pulseaudio] bluetooth-util.c: org.bluez.Manager.ListAdapters() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and
Dec 07 18:45:56 XXXX gnome-session[405]: Gtk-CRITICAL: _gtk_css_section_to_string: assertion `section != NULL' failed

The first message about bluetooth is sort of resolved as it is not displayed anymore. However I would still like to disable bluetooth without getting the 'red' warning.

The Gtk-CRITICAL is still red.

Edit: I didn't install 'pulseaudio' but I guess it was pulled in as a dependency during some other software install.

Last edited by fantab (2012-12-07 17:50:13)

#5 2012-12-07 19:03:52

rogue
Website

Gnome session is looking for a file that was not included in the theme package that you are currently using. You have two options, for one, you could copy an already existing .css file and name it gtk-fallback.css. The fallback style sheet is probably the format of the theme as if it were untouched, and known to work. I'm not sure what the primary style sheet is named, you will have to do your own research if you choose to do this. Your second option, is to use a different theme. Hopefully, if the theme developer included a fallback style sheet, this warning will go away. There is of course the possibility that there is an underlying issue that neither of us are aware of, but I would start with the above.

You can check to see if pulseaudio is installed, and more information by issuing the following command at a terminal:

pacman -Qi pulseaudio

Is there a way to leave the Bluetooth service running, but disable bluetooth in the tray applet or in your Gnome settings somewhere?

#6 2012-12-08 11:16:02

fantab

Pulseaudio is installed on my desktop.

I don't see bluetooth in the tray applet...

Board footer