You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-08 00:23:52

TheWretched

CUPS problems with PDF printing

I am having all manner of problems with PDF printing.  Recently added a Lexmark MX710 and have 7 machines that were previously printing fine to an X652de a T652 as well as a Samsung CLP770.  All network printers.

Now there are bizarre issues with PDF printing. CUPS version 1.6.1.  The MX710 will blue screen and reboot when printing one specific pdf without fail.  There are all kinds of random nonsensical results when printing from different locations.  A pdf that stalls the X and T652 with "filter error" will print from my own machine to the same printer, using the same versions of cups, .ppd file, and everything package related to cups.

Yet other PDF files will print, while some print complete gibberish, I can't find any rhyme or reason or anything predictable about any of it other than to say printing postscript files works fine all around.

This has been universally in KDE printing through Okular.

I've tried some things I've found suggested, such as modifying the mime.conv as suggested by an old ubuntu thread, adding the a2ps package, all to zero effect.

Last edited by TheWretched (2012-12-08 00:27:41)

#2 2012-12-08 00:47:24

cfr

Re: CUPS problems with PDF printing

Have you tried setting the option pdftops-renderer=pdftops?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Help Vampires

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | grub2 | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x121e | Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel | Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 | US keyboard with Euro | 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HDD

#3 2012-12-08 01:50:17

TheWretched

Setting that option was actually the very last thing I tried before leaving the office today, on the previously working X652de, it didn't work.

In retrospect, I forced cups and all packages related to it libcups, lib32-libcups off with -Rdd on my own system while messing around with it in an attempt to rollback and met with no success due to being unable to resolve dependencies for the rollback version, then ended up putting the 1.6.1 packages back on.

I did use a lexmark ppd package for the mx710 through it's install.sh script on every system in the process, perhaps it broke something in cups and forcing it all off and putting it back on fixed whatever the lexmark script may have broken, Either way I'll have to test that theory next on Monday when i'm back at it again.

#4 2012-12-10 17:26:36

TheWretched

As an update.

I was unable to get it going on the affected machines, (every other machine in the office but mine), Mine was working a little better than the others, but it would still blue screen the newer lexmark mx710 when printing the largest offending PDF to it.

I installed acroread from the aur, and acroread can print any pdf to any printer without crashing it.  So I presume the problem could lie somewhere in poppler and pdf to ps conversion?  If I manually run pdftops or pdf2ps on offending pdf's and lpr them from the command line they print.  PDF printing from okular remains broken for me.  Manually running pdftops on these pdf's outputs errors about font in the command line, but succeeds in generating a printable postscript file.

PDF printing from chrome is also broken.

Last edited by TheWretched (2012-12-10 17:45:30)

#5 2012-12-11 00:27:30

cfr

Do you have the CUPS PDF printer installed? If so, can you print to that from Okular?

Is there anything special about the PDFs involved? Or is it all PDFs? I'm wondering if they have fonts embedded, in particular. (Might help to know the exact errors.) Since acroread provides fonts of its own, I wonder if that's connected. But this is all just speculation...

Have you checked your printer(s) in the openprinting database to check you are using the recommended drivers for your particular model(s)? That can make a big difference in some cases.

Last edited by cfr (2012-12-11 00:28:23)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Help Vampires

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | grub2 | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x121e | Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2367M CPU @ 1.40GHz GenuineIntel | Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 | US keyboard with Euro | 320G 7200 RPM Seagate HDD

#6 2012-12-11 14:19:32

TheWretched

At this point the only reasonable explanation I can think of is that the ppd package I downloaded and installed via included shell script from lexmark for the mx710 caused this whole catastrophe.  The only common thread for this problem starting was that I used this on all of the affected machines and they now all manifest problems.  And on four of these machines this is literally all that was done, they were loaded in september, have not been updated via pacman in any way, and are running the exact same version of cups poppler, and okular that they were then, which was working, and now cannot print pdf to any printer at all without causing one of several problems depending on the printer.

I cannot seem to get this reversed though.  I've gone so far as to force remove all the cups packages, and delete the files associated with the install script, but the problem remains afterward.  From what I can see so far all this lexmark package did was display a license agreement, then copy the ppd files in it's folder to /usr/share/ppd/Lexmark.  This particular printer, the mx710 has no .ppd available that I have found other than this one from Lexmark directly.  Open printing doesn't have anything for this model.

This printer's driver has some kind of a cups filter driver with it that the install script presumably installs, I suspect this could be what caused the problem specifically, but I must not be removing it correctly, despite following the file removal suggestions in the Lexmark readme for uninstallation.  CUPS printing is something I am new to and only have a basic understanding of.

To answer some specific questions I nearly forgot, I don't have cups pdf installed.  I have chrome installed which can successfully save pages to PDF, previously it could also print pdf, and presumably it prints everything as pdf given the cups pdf workflow.  That is also broken now too, so printing from the browser causes the printer to fail as well.  If I save as pdf from chrome, and print with adobe reader, it works.

Last edited by TheWretched (2012-12-11 14:25:40)

#7 2012-12-13 19:45:44

TheWretched

Having gotten around the global issue of printing pdf's and dealt with whatever problems were caused by the lexmark driver package, the remaining problem seems to be that Okular is doing something abnormal when printing PDF.

I have one particular PDF which is problematic, 26 pages in length.  When printed from Libre Office Draw, I get the best results.  Prints good to all printers, even the troublesome MX710, and the job size in cups is about 400k.  Excellent.

Okular on the other hand.  Job size is 35000k and fails with broken pipe, playing around with it I notice that even things like copying text to clipboard in okular is behaving erratically for me and stalling klipper tool while it processes the text.

Board footer