You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-07 16:32:30

totolotto

Uefi laptop boot failure

Hi,

I just bought a Latitude E5530 with SSD 128g and Ubuntu on it. I tried to install Arch with USB and after booting I got this:

---------
Booting to kernel.
:: running early hook [udev]
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
:: running hook [memdisk]
:: Mounting '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201211' to '/run/archiso/bootmnt'
Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201211 ...
[        5.968806] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] No Canching mode page present
[        5.968806] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201211' device did not show up after 30 seconds...
        Falling back to interactive prompt
        You can try to fix the problem manually, log out when you are finished
sh:can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs /]#

----------
And when i try to go on with installation "loadkeys cfdisk etc" command not found. I already installed Arch on virtual box , this would be the first hard install. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thanks!

Last edited by totolotto (2012-12-08 07:47:15)

#2 2012-12-08 02:19:42

cfr

Re: Uefi laptop boot failure

Did you use one of the methods recommended in the wiki to prepare the USB key?

Please use [code ] [ /code] tags (without the spaces) when posting code).

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2012-12-08 07:34:13

totolotto

I realized the problem is deeper than that. I was able to fix this error but this laptop has uefi motherboard and that requires different disk partitioning and boot setup. I read the installation guide and many comments on this, but could not find a simple step by step instruction. Is there a simple and straightforward guide to newbies?

#4 2012-12-08 17:05:14

Wilhelm

I have quite similar problems: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=154208

Check the posts #9 and #10.

Last edited by Wilhelm (2012-12-08 19:05:47)

#5 2012-12-08 17:36:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Wilhelm wrote:

P.S. I'm starting to think that the one making these iso's should be executed and replaced by another chinese kid.

While this is probably intended as humour of some sort, it is unwelcome on a number of levels; primarily because the person making the isos is an Arch dev who does this in their spare time, but also because it is a greivous transference of blame: any issues in this thread, and probably in yours, are undoubtedly PEBKAC.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2012-12-08 19:22:49

Wilhelm

I tried to give some criticism about the situation. I understand that everything here is done for free. The thing is that if we cannot comment on what someone's doing, because he's making it for free, will the result be as good as one could expect?

Maybe the installation process could be as follows:
1. Dowload files from a website (maybe a zip file).
2. Extract on fat32 usb stick.
3. Reboot and boot from usb stick.
4. A menu would pop up asking if you wanted live system or to install.
--- If live > load system to ram > login as root > let the user go from this on
--- If install > launch automatically an installer, which would ask normal or expert mode
------ If expert mode > drop to shell and let the user go on
------ If normal mode > install the base system automatically on selected drive with the latest technologies. Also let the user make some small decisions like picking the desktop system and so on.

For example when installing let's say for example Windows on a computer, one does not have to read installation guides online with other devices as mobile phone or another computer. The installation is easy, because it won't let the user to choose too much. The expert mode would still let the user do what ever he wants.

Currently booting the current iso requires some extreme wizardry.

#7 2012-12-08 19:32:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Wilhelm wrote:

I tried to give some criticism about the situation. I understand that everything here is done for free. The thing is that if we cannot comment on what someone's doing, because he's making it for free, will the result be as good as one could expect?

Your "comment" amounted to little more than a crude slur: there is a difference between that and constructive feedback.

Maybe the installation process could be as follows:
Currently booting the current iso requires some extreme wizardry.

Patches, as they say, are always welcome: insults, not so.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2012-12-09 03:56:12

cfr

Wilhelm wrote:

For example when installing let's say for example Windows on a computer, one does not have to read installation guides online with other devices as mobile phone or another computer. The installation is easy, because it won't let the user to choose too much. The expert mode would still let the user do what ever he wants.

I think that Arch may not be the ideal distro for you at this time. I'd really suggest looking elsewhere. You can always come back to Arch at a later date.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#9 2012-12-09 16:11:35

teateawhy
Website

Wilhelm wrote:

The installation is easy, because it won't let the user to choose too much.

"User-centric design necessarily implies a certain "do-it-yourself" approach to using the Arch distribution."
If you want automatic installation without previous knowledge arch is not ideal for you, but there are alternatives, for example Archboot and Manjaro.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archboot
http://blog.manjaro.org/

#10 2012-12-09 19:18:39

totolotto

Just to make it clear: my question/intention was not to blame anyone, rather to ask for help. I realize Arch is maintained by people sacrificing their free time, but as they do so, I simply asked/suggested to make a clear guide on this topic. There are so many options and variables and cross references mentioned in the guides - I just could not follow.

For the time being I changed the booting mode to legacy and installed Arch in the good old way.

#11 2012-12-09 20:31:35

WonderWoofy

Keep in mind that from mobo to mobo, uefi firmwares vary.  It is a pretty young standard compared to bios/mbr, so it isn't completely consitent yet.  I certainly had some issues with setting mine up, as the efibootmgr entry would always come out partially truncated.  Namely the initrd= part would not include the path in its entirety.  Thus I just put the initramfs in the root of the efi system partition, so that it didn't ahve the opportunity to truncate anything.

I doubt this is your problem, but I just wanted to give you an example of why uefi instructions might not be as straight forward as you might believe they should be.

Board footer