You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-08 20:06:10

aule

[SOLVED] LVM Problem - No volume groups found

I'm having an issue with my arch installation booting up properly.

Here is the setup:
- 3 x 2TB drives set up in RAID 1 for /boot, RAID 1 for swap, and RAID5 for /
- LVM sits on top of the RAID5 in an array 4 logical volumes (/, /home, /var, and /utils)

I've installed Arch and can chroot into the system with no problem using the USB Installer, but upon reboot (syslinux is used) it states that the volume groups can not be found and I get thrown into an emergency shell. In here, even running lvm vgscan or lvm vgchange -a y will result in the same error.

I've added both mdadm_udev and lvm2 hooks to the mkinitcpio.conf file and have rebuilt the images using

mkinitcpio -p linux

successfully, but did not solve the problem. I've also added dm_mod, raid456, and ext4 to the modules.

Any ideas on next steps?

Last edited by aule (2012-12-10 04:31:21)

#2 2012-12-10 00:25:57

dif

Re: [SOLVED] LVM Problem - No volume groups found

For some time my laptop was not able to find lvm without this kernel line parameter in the grub.cfg:

lvmwait=/dev/sda4 

I removed this parameter after a kernel update and it turned out that the parameter was not necessary any longer, but your computer may need it.
See this site at archwiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archboot

Another thing to check:   Perhaps you simply forgot to enable the lvm.service. You say lvm2 is in the hooks, and so it is in mine. But when I forgot to enable the service, my computer didn't boot up. I do not remember the comments I got then, though.

Last edited by dif (2012-12-10 00:26:58)

#3 2012-12-10 04:31:02

aule

Re: [SOLVED] LVM Problem - No volume groups found

Thanks dif. I did try the lvmwait, but I've sorted out the issue. It had to do with the raid not being assembled properly rather than with lvm.

All is good.

Board footer