You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-09 04:23:19

drozzy

Should I be worried about this?

Just went through an upgrade, everything was fine, except this little snippet:

(376/434) upgrading linux                                 [###############################] 100%
>>> Updating module dependencies. Please wait ...
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/3.6.9-1-ARCH: No such file or directory
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory
>>> Generating initial ramdisk, using mkinitcpio.  Please wait...
==> Building image from preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/3.6.9-1-ARCH' is not a valid kernel module directory
==> Building image from preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> ERROR: '/lib/modules/3.6.9-1-ARCH' is not a valid kernel module directory
error: command failed to execute correctly
(377/434) upgrading linux-api-headers                     [###############################] 100%

#2 2012-12-09 04:44:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Should I be worried about this?

Yes.  You will not have a proper initramfs and you will not be able to reboot.  I don't know why it's looking int /lib/modules rather than /usr/lib/modules - I suspect you had problems with the glibc update that you left unresolved.

EDIT: the best case scenario is if you haven't ignored any packages such as glibc, and the rest of the update really did go fine, perhaps the glibc update came at the same time with this large and overdue update.  If this is the case (which I frankly doubt) then you might be able to fix this as simple as the following:

# mkinitcpio -p linux

Last edited by Trilby (2012-12-09 04:54:24)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-12-09 04:45:50

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Should I be worried about this?

Trilby wrote:

Yes.  You will not have a proper initramfs and you will not be able to reboot.  I don't know why it's looking int /lib/modules rather than /usr/lib/modules - I suspect you had problems with the glibc update that you left unresolved.

pacman log wrote:

(376/434) upgrading linux

I'd say you are on the money Trilby...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer