You are not logged in.

#1 2003-12-08 22:10:50

dp
Website

MergedFB ... any success?

has anyone got a successfull configuration of MergedFB (2 Monitors on a dualhead showing the same screen, not clones!! i want virtual=3200x2400 on 2 uxga monitors, to be switchable to one monitor back to xga (when connected to a beamer) ... this switch can be done with "MetaModes" ... theoretically)

when i try on my radeon (FireGL 7800, dualhead) this config:

Section "Device"
  Identifier   "FireGL7800_Int"
  BoardName    "Mobility FireGL 7800 (Radeon LX)"
  BusID        "1:0:0"
  Driver       "radeon"
  VendorName   "ATI"
  Option "AGPFastWrite" "true"
  Option "EnablePageFlip" "true"
  Option "MergedFB" "TRUE"
  Option "CRT2Position" "LeftOf"
  Option "MetaModes" "1600x1200 1600x1200-1024x768"
  Option "MonitorLayout" "LCD, P72"
#  Screen       0
#  Option       "NoDDC"
  Option       "DRI""on"
EndSection

i get 2 screens showing the same (clone-mode) and the X-log says this:

(WW) RADEON(0): Option "MergedFB" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "CRT2Position" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "MetaModes" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "MonitorLayout" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "DRI" is not used
(WW) RADEON(0): Option "CalcAlgorithm" is not used

the thing is: i do not want to have 2 monitors to show the same, actually the intention is to have a large screen showed on 2 monitors

anybody any experiences with it? any ideas why the server gives WW(warnings) "option not used"?

"if you do not know what i'm speaking about ... you probably do not need this feature ..." but have a look at:

http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/MergedFB
http://www.botchco.com/alex/radeon/merg … eon.4.html

thanx a lot in advance

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2003-12-09 00:58:06

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: MergedFB ... any success?

You need a second device in your XF86Config (even though it's one card).  Second Device, Monitor, etc... then in your Layout you have to set some other stuff.  Search for things like Xinerama and dual-head on google.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-12-09 12:30:57

dp
Website

Xentac wrote:

You need a second device in your XF86Config (even though it's one card).  Second Device, Monitor, etc... then in your Layout you have to set some other stuff.  Search for things like Xinerama and dual-head on google.

thanx for your answer,

Xinerama is the setting that is working now ... the thing is: the 3d-acceleration is only on one monitor ... with mergedFB you can have both accelerated

http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2003-November/013707.html wrote:

You can also use MergedFB, which is what I'm currently using. It's
similar to Xinerama, but instead of having 2 screens and handling them
as one, it actually implements a single screen shown on two displays.

... and i configured everything as it is said in the docs of radeon ... am searching the internet for what i did wrong ...

#4 2003-12-09 12:35:07

dp
Website

ups ... found a possible reason:

maybe the radeon in the kernel is a little bit old and has not yet this feature ... will try it with a newer one

#5 2004-01-09 04:44:07

whatah

I am looking at these today, and i have gotten xinerama working, but in my XFree86..0.log it says that DRI is not enabled when Dual Heads are on, how did you get DRI working with Xinerama on only one display? I asked around [read bothered on IRC] and in #dri, they said that the new XFree86 (4.4) should have mergedfb in the trunk, so i am waiting for that to come out, it should be out soon. If you have figured out how to install mergedfb or how to get dri working on one of the heads, please tell me. I am running the dual heads off my ATI Radeon rv200 m7 (Mobility 7500). One is an external monitor, and the other is my LCD. Thanks

#6 2004-01-09 06:36:48

dp
Website

whatah wrote:

I am looking at these today, and i have gotten xinerama working, but in my XFree86..0.log it says that DRI is not enabled when Dual Heads are on, how did you get DRI working with Xinerama on only one display? I asked around [read bothered on IRC] and in #dri, they said that the new XFree86 (4.4) should have mergedfb in the trunk, so i am waiting for that to come out, it should be out soon. If you have figured out how to install mergedfb or how to get dri working on one of the heads, please tell me. I am running the dual heads off my ATI Radeon rv200 m7 (Mobility 7500). One is an external monitor, and the other is my LCD. Thanks

i have a simmilar chipset (7800) and radeon from 2.4.24-kernel runs nice in dri-mode ... so 3d-hwaccel is no problem :-) ( i do not use xinerama ) EDIT: have to precise this: i use xinerama as config of 2 heads ... boot in internal monitor and activate over BIOS-keyboard-combination the external monitor: this gives 2 monitors with only one with acceleration

the stock thigs do not have mergedFB, but the dri-radeon downloaded ... the problem: it is not at all stable for me (the snapshot) because it crashes  loading or cannot load at all X and X is then useless wink (with kernel 2.6.0)

... but i like the idea of mergedFB very much and i will have it up and running as soon as it is available stable and/or compilable for my machine --- and will inform you

if you find something out worth nowing about this, let me know, thanx in advance

#7 2004-01-09 12:25:27

dp
Website

forgot:

the only kernel versions i have successfully used module "radeon" with 3dhwaccel are 2.4.23 and 2.4.24 (the one i now use if i need 3d graphics)

the 2.6.0 has other code for radeon and has kept the bug that was in 2.4.22 and earlier that hindered me from using dri on my chipset (the thing is: firegl 7800 is not so popular chipset that it is important to update the code --- but i'm waiting and sooner or later they will have the working code for radeon on my chipset; i hope in the 2.6.1 release :-) )

#8 2004-01-09 18:23:47

whatah

What's the error you get in 2.6 for the radeon module? I was getting an error too, which i finally traced back to not have intel-agp modprobed as well as agpgart. You might want to see what error you are getting in /var/log/XFree86.0.log and if it mentions agp, try finding your agp chipset module and modprobing it.

#9 2004-01-10 02:02:43

dp
Website

i switched to 2.6.1 about 2 minutes ago and tried to have 3daccel ... but it's the same as with 2.6.0 (because they didnt do anything with these things, i checked in the changelog now)

here the section with "errors" in my x-log:

(==) RADEON(0): Write-combining range (0xe8000000,0x4000000)
drmOpenDevice: minor is 0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: open result is 6, (OK)
drmGetBusid returned ''
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] loaded kernel module for "radeon" driver
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] created "radeon" driver at busid "PCI:1:0:0"
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] added 8192 byte SAREA at 0xf0a56000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xf0a56000 to 0x44286000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xe8000000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xf0a56000 at 0x44286000
(II) RADEON(0): Memory manager initialized to (0,0) (1600,8191)
(II) RADEON(0): Reserved area from (0,1200) to (1600,1202)
(II) RADEON(0): Largest offscreen area available: 1600 x 6989

and as you can see: "agp not available" --- you were right ... will try to find infos about agp on my machine ...

#10 2004-01-10 05:58:05

whatah

yeah, cat your kernel config and grep for AGP, find your board, (most likely intel or ati) and make sure you have module support for it. then modprobe agp-intel and agp-ati and agpgart and start x. good luck

#11 2004-01-10 11:50:22

dp
Website

i can load "intel-agp" by hand, but when i then try to modprobe agpgart, it cannot be found :-(

[root@Asteraceae damir]# modprobe agpgart
FATAL: Module agpgart not found.

and with only intel-agp still the same (WW) came from X :-(

#12 2004-01-10 19:16:41

whatah

do you have agpgart as a module in your kernel or compiled in? that message normally comes when you either don't have it at all or it is compiled in. If it's compiled in and you get the WW errror, try modprobing ati-agp.

EDIT: ooops, i have both intel-agp and ati-agp modprobed, so try modprobing ati-agp and restarting X

#13 2004-01-11 14:01:25

dp
Website

... finally i got 3dacceleration under 2.6.1 ... great -  thanx for help:

agpgart: i use stock kernel26 (compiled in, i found out studiing "config" yesterday)

how i got 3dacceleratoin:

-> load intel-agp while booting (in MODULES=())
-> set "FastWriteAGP" "true" (without this option intel-agp gives back errors and agp is still unavailable --- i think it is chipset-specific :-( ... but now finally i solved it!!!)
-> startx and enjoy 3daccel.

Board footer