You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-11 13:01:40

mcover

Key event focus problem with AwesomeWM+evince 3.0(want confirmation)

Hi,

I'm trying to get someone else to reproduce this bug before reporting it on some bug-tracker. Though I wouldn't be sure where to report TBH.

Basically, I can trace it to having the Awesome window manager (stable from AUR, currently 3.4.9) with using Evince 3.0 from Gnome 3. In addition any web-browser (I'm using chromium).

1. Open a PDF in Evince and scroll with the arrow-keys.
2. Change to a different work-space running Chromium (or any other browser, not consistent with other applications, but possibly any other application using arrow keys as a scroll mechanism) and click with the left mouse-button on a link or anywhere on a page (focus).
3. Switch workspace back to Evince and try to scroll the PDF using arrow keys, which will not work.

It is consistent as described above, and it is really annoying as the only way to solve it is to unfocus and refocus the Evince window.

Generally this is not a problem, but it has interrupted my work-flow on several occasions and is one of those things I can't believe happen when upgrading to a newer version. I assume the problem is closely related to GTK3 as well, but I can't say who to blame, so unless I can get someone to reproduce this, I can't say if I'm doing something wrong or there is a subtle bug somewhere.

Note: I was able to reproduce this on my second laptop, however the laptop has the exact same configuration (1 to 1) as my other machine.

Thanks.

m.

#2 2011-05-15 14:40:26

frony0

Re: Key event focus problem with AwesomeWM+evince 3.0(want confirmation)

I'm not at my linux box right now, but I'm pretty sure I've seen similar behaviour with evince and awesome. I'll try and verify when I get home

Make it idiot-proof, and someone will breed a better idiot.
-- Oliver Elphick

#3 2011-12-23 11:42:28

yourealwaysbe

I have basically the same problem too, though it has nothing to do with a web browser on the other tag.

I have evince open, change to another tag, change back, evince doesn't take key presses anymore.  This doesn't happen every time, but at least 50%.

I'm not sure where to go with this bug either...

#4 2012-06-30 09:56:01

nshepperd

Going to resurrect this thread to add that I'm having precisely the same problem, but under i3wm rather than awesome. Also, I think it doesn't necessarily involve a web browser, which suggests one of evince or GTK3 are the culprit. Still probably no point filing a bug report at this point, since I can't figure out a reliable way of triggering the bug.

#5 2012-09-22 17:48:34

javagamer

I'm seeing similar issues with Evince in XMonad though I was having the same issue in Awesome. No idea what to do about it. Anyone found a workaround that returns focus to evince?

#6 2012-11-02 14:41:19

nshepperd

Often, "switch to another workspace; click the background a few times; return to evince" seems to work. Sometimes it doesn't though and I end up just restarting evince. I just noticed a similar bug in Transmission though -- I had to restart Transmission to get it to notice the up/down keys again -- so maybe we can narrow it down to the fault of gtk, one of the other ui-related libraries they both use?

#7 2012-12-05 23:14:33

howardh

I'm experiencing the same issue with Evince 3.6.1 and Awesome v3.4.13.
When I switch away from the tag with Evince, and switch back, the pressing the arrow keys doesn't scroll anymore. Evince can still make use of my arrow keys (for example, I can alt+f to get into the menu and move up and down with the arrow keys), just not for scrolling. I can still scroll using page up/down.
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help figure out where the issue is.

#8 2012-12-06 14:31:52

dimigon
Website

Same exact issue with i3-wm and evince.

#9 2012-12-07 11:40:35

ayekat

Same issue with dwm.

It's weird because if I have several evince-windows open, some of them start ignoring keystrokes, whereas others (on the same tag) still work correctly.

pkgshackscfgblag

#10 2012-12-07 17:00:10

ayekat

Actually it turned out (for me™) that in a non-responsive evince-window, if I open the 'open file' dialog with <Ctrl-O>, then close that dialog, I get back my full keyboard functionnality.

Can someone confirm this?

EDIT:
Alright, I must also add that one needs to place the mouse over the evince window upon closing the dialog. I guess the moment you close the dialog, evince is forced to realise it is focussed (and thus work correctly again).
Seems like evince doesn't like the way tiling window managers handle their focus-related stuff.

EDIT 2:
Alright, when closing the 'open file' dialog with <ESC>, I need exactly (no more and no less) 2 times.
However, when closing the dialog with <Ctrl-Shift-C> (or whatever key you have assigned to closing a client), then it's the thing with the mouse.

Last edited by ayekat (2012-12-20 13:51:28)

pkgshackscfgblag

#11 2012-12-10 06:04:25

howardh

I just tried several times. It will scroll to the arrow keys again if I open and close the file dialogue exactly twice (no more has been needed, no less has worked, regardless of whether it's done with the mouse or keyboard or any combination of the two).

#12 2013-07-30 10:46:29

codethief

I can confirm the bug on Ubuntu 12.04 running i3wm 4.2 and Evince 3.4.0 as well as the workaround using the open file dialog.

Has the bug already been filed somewhere? The only thing I've found through Google is this report on the Evince mailing list.

Board footer