You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-12 06:43:49

Sphaerophoria

3 Monitors and Compositing

Hey guys!

As finals come to a close i thought i'd attempt to make my triple monitor set up work with compositing again.
I have 3 monitors, the left 2 are driven by my nvidia gtx 570 and the rightmost one is driven by my intel sandy bridge i5.
I feel like I'm getting close to making it work but I just need some advice on what to try next

Here is my xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    Screen      1  "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
    Screen      2  "Screen2" RightOf "Screen0"
    Option         "Xinerama" "1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "DFP-0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "DFP-2"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "HDMI1"
    Option         "Rotate" "Left"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    #Option         "MetaModes" "DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +1024+0, DFP-2: nvidia-auto-select { Rotation=left }"
    Screen          0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BusID          "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option         "MetaModes" "DFP-2: nvidia-auto-select { Rotation=left }"
    Screen          1
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device2"
    Driver         "intel"
    BusID          "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "DFP-0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen1"
    Device         "Device1"
    Monitor        "DFP-2"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen2"
    Device         "Device2"
    Monitor        "HDMI1"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "disable"
EndSection

When I enable compositing, All three monitors are still displaying things, but all three monitors start from the left side of the 3 displays
Here is an image of what's happening

Any suggestions on how to improve this would appreciated smile

Thanks!

*Edit*

Forgot to mention that this is what happens if I merge the two left monitors into one nvidia device

*Edit 2*

Also forgot to mention that the same thing happens when I'm using the nouveau driver.

*Edit 3*

After fiddling with it some more it became apparent that all 3 screens are being composited, When I set the intel display as the left most monitor it was being composited ok but the other two screens were showing duplicates of the intel screen. It seems that the compositor is taking in all 3 screens at once and then displaying them back starting from the top left on each monitor (does this make sense). So what it seems needs to happen is that I need to shift what is being displayed on each monitor, however the input is already correct (if I click on the left side of the second screen it will show a click on the right half kinda thing). Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Sphaerophoria (2012-12-12 22:08:32)

#2 2012-12-12 11:15:39

hunterthomson
Website

Re: 3 Monitors and Compositing

It looks like you are using KDE.

Have you tride to configure the monitors in the "System Settings" -> "Display and Monitor" -> "Size & Orientation"

Instead of editing xorg.conf. I would think it would be a lot easier. That is how I configure my 2 monitors.

EDIT: Awe, you want the monitors to behave like one big monitor. I think the KDE system settings can only configure them in mirrored and as mulit-monitor.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2012-12-12 11:46:23)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#3 2012-12-12 19:02:20

Sphaerophoria

Thanks for the reply hunterthomson,

The KDE Display and Monitor module uses randr to change the monitors size and orientation. When using xinerama (which is needed to use intel and nvidia as one desktop), randr is disabled so this will not work.

Thanks again!

#4 2012-12-12 21:26:14

nomorewindows

I haven't gotten my three monitor setup on two cards figured out yet either.  I've gotten it to the point that all three monitors turn on at the same time and by viewing Xorg.0.log, I've gotten it there most of the way just by doing that lining up the identifiers.  You may need another separate layout for each video card.  I have it down on xfce4 that each monitor has it's own xfce panel, but the onboard screen is the only one I can move the mouse/keyboard on.  Xrandr only reports that screen.  Although I think it should work, I've had problems with left-of, right-of between screens.  It doesn't like that too much and doesn't work.  I had it where one card would integrate into the other card, but only on one of the two monitors connected to it.  It would duplicate on both monitors the same image.  I'm not even using composting or at least not in the Xorg.conf.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#5 2012-12-12 21:34:05

Sphaerophoria

nomorewindows,

If you are just trying to get your monitors to work at all, mine work without compositng. Maybe if you take a look at my xorg.conf and change composite to disabled then you could get a working setup. Separate layouts for each card was something I hadn't considered, I guess it's something to think about smile

#6 2012-12-12 23:17:51

nomorewindows

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer