You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-12 23:20:05

Archenduser

Mrs Pacman to Keep Pacman clean and proper

How about we add "Mrs Pacman" (Pacman clone) into the main arch build so that you can always upgrade Pacman in a single but seldom used command without needing yaourt or the the AUR.  It would greatly reduce the amount of work to solve a very common problem. Just a thought.

#2 2012-12-12 23:47:31

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: Mrs Pacman to Keep Pacman clean and proper

So you think that yaourt actually installs packages?

#3 2012-12-12 23:51:16

Archenduser

I want an arch native command that will let me upgrade pacman (Keeping the pacman feature that pacman will not overwrite itself)

#4 2012-12-12 23:52:43

falconindy
Developer
Website

Maybe you could expand on what this "very common problem" is, and focus on fixing that.

#5 2012-12-13 01:09:53

Pajaro

falconindy wrote:

Maybe you could expand on what this "very common problem" is, and focus on fixing that.

i agree, i don't see how yaourt or any other aur wrappers can be a problem. i. pacman updates itself properly, and i would'nt want unprompted aur upgrades.

#6 2012-12-13 01:15:08

KaiSforza
Website

So you want a pacman so you can pacman your pacman while you pacman? What?

Thinkpad T420 | Intel 3000 | systemd {,--user}
PKGBUILDs I use | pywer AUR helper

#7 2012-12-13 01:16:04

falconindy
Developer
Website

I'm pretty sure what he means to ask for is a statically compiled binary. With glibc in the picture, I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon.

#8 2012-12-13 04:49:28

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

falconindy wrote:

I'm pretty sure what he means to ask for is a statically compiled binary. With glibc in the picture, I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't what he was asking for, since from the way he was phrasing the question he probably doesn't care what a statically compiled binary is.

That, and the fact that he thinks yaourt updates pacman...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2012-12-13 11:08:27

falconindy
Developer
Website

ngoonee wrote:
falconindy wrote:

I'm pretty sure that wasn't what he was asking for, since from the way he was phrasing the question he probably doesn't care what a statically compiled binary is.

Right, he just wants an "arch native command", presumably because he has a habit doing partial upgrades and breaking pacman. If this "native command" came in the form of a statically compiled binary, he'd be able to pacman his pacman, so he can upgrade while he upgrades.

#10 2012-12-13 21:37:38

Awebb

Or maybe the OP should remove pacman from the sync first in the pacman.conf?

#11 2012-12-13 22:16:58

ismaelvc

I thinks that he meant he would like pacman to work natively in an AUR way too, like mergin both tools capavilities in pacman, so instead of using a wrapper he uses pacman directly to install binaries and compile... that's what I undertood lol smile

Laptop: LG LM70 Express                                                  Kernel: 3.14.2-1-ARCH   
CPU: Intel Pentium M processor @1.86GHz                  Hard Drive: 80G
Video: Mobility Radeon X600                                            X Driver: xf86-video-ati
Memory Size: 1.5G + zramswap: 384M + swap: 3G

#12 2012-12-13 23:34:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

falconindy wrote:
ngoonee wrote:
falconindy wrote:

Right, he just wants an "arch native command", presumably because he has a habit doing partial upgrades and breaking pacman. If this "native command" came in the form of a statically compiled binary, he'd be able to pacman his pacman, so he can upgrade while he upgrades.

Though my understanding was that he just doesn't like seeing the 'upgrade pacman first?' message smile

OP - as you can see from this discussion, noone is really sure what you mean, some (the post above this one for example) are WAY off target. Please specify.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#13 2012-12-13 23:52:14

falconindy
Developer
Website

Ah. I see where I misread. Now I understand. OP definitely wants a pony.

QKuKd.png

#14 2012-12-14 03:59:19

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

falconindy wrote:

lTX9h.jpg

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

Board footer