You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-27 17:38:08

stonecrest

OpenOffice doesn't run

oo2 always used to run just fine. But recently I accidentally stopped pacman while it was in the middle of installing the latest openoffice-base. Now I can't get it to run no matter what I do. I've uninstalled/reinstalled, I've deleted /opt/openoffice just to be sure, I've deleted ~/.openoffice*, I've reinstalled java, I've deleted pacman cache, etc. When I run soffice, it gives an "Internal error" during the splash screen and dies. There's no additional info when running from cli.

What else can I try to fix this, aside from a complete arch reinstall? I sorely need oo2 working again sad

I am a gated community.

#2 2005-10-27 22:54:27

clarence

Re: OpenOffice doesn't run

any error messages when you try running soffice (i think the command is) from the terminal?

fck art, lets dance.

#3 2005-10-27 23:52:53

stonecrest

As I mentioned, the command line gives no additional information. And I don't believe there is a flag I can append to soffice to get more verbose output..

I am a gated community.

#4 2005-10-28 00:08:42

Gullible Jones

Umm... Try forcing a reinstall of OpenOffice:

pacman -Sf openoffice-base

#5 2005-10-28 00:45:58

stonecrest

As I mentioned, I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling (many times, in fact).

I am a gated community.

#6 2005-10-29 06:01:14

stonecrest

Well, I've managed to get it to run, although I don't understand why this worked. Anyway, I happened to notice that oo2 does run as root. I investigated root's home dir and noticed that there was a .openoffice.org1.9.104 directory in it, whereas my user's home directory had no ~/.openoffice* directories.

So I ended up copying that .openoffice.org1.9.104 directory to my user's home directory, set the user as owner, and lo and  behold, it worked.

/me shrugs

I am a gated community.

#7 2005-11-07 10:21:42

vladuz976

stonecrest wrote:

Well, I've managed to get it to run, although I don't understand why this worked. Anyway, I happened to notice that oo2 does run as root. I investigated root's home dir and noticed that there was a .openoffice.org1.9.104 directory in it, whereas my user's home directory had no ~/.openoffice* directories.

So I ended up copying that .openoffice.org1.9.104 directory to my user's home directory, set the user as owner, and lo and  behold, it worked.

/me shrugs

ok, i had the same problem. installed openoffice2 with pacman then got j2re error message. the installed j2re and tried to run "soffice" and always got message "internal error" even after forcing reinstall.
here is what i think happened. after install you didn't start is this way:
"/opt/openoffice/program/soffice" as described in the wiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenOffice
i think the java run time things is coz after you start it the first time they link you to their website to take a survey or somehting.
so what i did is remove the directory

~/.openoffice.org2

and then restarted open office with

/opt/openoffice/program/soffice

as regular user. and everything worked out fine.

#8 2005-11-07 12:42:06

sh__

I had a similar error when trying to set up OO2. I had no previous openoffice installation on my system. I noticed that running /opt/openoffice/program/soffice for the first time creates ~/.openoffice.org2 with root ownership under user's homedir. The problem was solved by changing the ownership by

chown -R username.users .openoffice.org2

Board footer