You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-15 16:23:18

HumansCan'tBeTrusted

Alsa uses Pulseaudio as sound card? (Solved)

I just installed arch linux and started configuring sound. Gues what? I opened alsamixer and saw "Card: PulseAudio". I pressed F6 and selected HDA Intel, configured everything as i want and closed alsamixer. But nightmare starts right here. I can't hear all my speakers playing ( i have 5.1 system) so i opened alsamixer again and saw that it's using PulseAudio again. I'm sure i need to set HDA as default sound card but how?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M5u … KkvPg/edit Output of some commands on terminal.

Last edited by HumansCan'tBeTrusted (2012-12-18 13:36:53)

#2 2012-12-15 16:42:47

bohoomil
Website

Re: Alsa uses Pulseaudio as sound card? (Solved)

Have you read the relevant Wiki article? No helpful hints there at all?

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#3 2012-12-15 16:44:04

HumansCan'tBeTrusted

Thanks for reply!

I checked Wiki x times, nothing helped.

#4 2012-12-15 16:55:09

65kid

You should really provide some more information. Do you actually want to use PulseAudio or are your forced to use it because you use Gnome? You seem to be mixing stuff up. You shouldn't configure anything via alsamixer if you use PulseAudio and even if you want to use ALSA, alsamixer is not the place to set your default sound card.

#5 2012-12-15 16:59:53

HumansCan'tBeTrusted

65kid wrote:

You should really provide some more information. Do you actually want to use PulseAudio or are your forced to use it because you use Gnome? You seem to be mixing stuff up. You shouldn't configure anything via alsamixer if you use PulseAudio and even if you want to use ALSA, alsamixer is not the place to set your default sound card.

Wait. I just wanted to change chanells option to 6 but saw that it's using Pulse Audio witch don't let me use my all speakers so i want to use alsa but as i understand i need to set HDA Intel as my sound card because it somehow uses Pulse Audio as sound card.

Last edited by HumansCan'tBeTrusted (2012-12-15 17:03:46)

#6 2012-12-15 17:03:10

65kid

HumansCan'tBeTrusted wrote:
65kid wrote:

Wait. I just wanted to change chanells option to 6 but saw that it's using Pulse Audio wich don't let me use my all speakers so i want to use alsa but as understand i need to set HDA Intel as my sound card because it somehow uses Pulse Audio as sound card.

If you just want to use ALSA, you should uninstall pulseaudio and pulseaudio-alsa and reboot. Then check the ALSA wiki page on how to set your default sound card...

#7 2012-12-15 17:08:47

HumansCan'tBeTrusted

If you just want to use ALSA, you should uninstall pulseaudio and pulseaudio-alsa and reboot. Then check the ALSA wiki page on how to set your default sound card...

The thing is that i'm using gnome 3 so i can't uninstall pulse and i tried to set default sound card by editing some .conf files but that didn't worked.  How to properly set default sound card?

#8 2012-12-15 17:18:45

65kid

The thing is that i'm using gnome 3 so i can't uninstall pulse and i tried to set default sound card by editing some .conf files but that didn't worked.  How to properly set default sound card?

well, why ddin't you say so? I just asked if you use Gnome... roll
You shouldn't mess with any conf files or alsamixer if you use (or are forced to use) PulseAudio. Afaik Gnome has its own audio configuration in the settings, otherwise use pavucontrol, you can set the default card there.
Do not mess around in alsamixer or /etc/asoundrc if you use PulseAudio! Also make sure you have pulseaudio-alsa installed.

#9 2012-12-15 17:24:12

HumansCan'tBeTrusted

65kid wrote:

well, why ddin't you say so? I just asked if you use Gnome... roll
You shouldn't mess with any conf files or alsamixer if you use (or are forced to use) PulseAudio. Afaik Gnome has its own audio configuration in the settings, otherwise use pavucontrol, you can set the default card there.
Do not mess around in alsamixer or /etc/asoundrc if you use PulseAudio! Also make sure you have pulseaudio-alsa installed.

Thanks,
Anyway i have pulseaudio-alsa installed and i checked pavucontrol, didn't find where to change default sound card on there.

#10 2012-12-15 17:26:32

65kid

Thanks,
Anyway i have pulseaudio-alsa installed and i checked pavucontrol, didn't find where to change default sound card on there.

It's the button with the "check sign" under output devices... but you should really check the gnome settings first, I'm pretty sure you can configure it there.

Last edited by 65kid (2012-12-15 17:26:45)

#11 2012-12-15 17:34:49

HumansCan'tBeTrusted

That didn't worked too. I'm completely lost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just want to hear sound from all my speakers. On ubuntu setting 6 chanells with alsamixer is enough.

Last edited by HumansCan'tBeTrusted (2012-12-15 17:37:29)

#12 2012-12-15 17:57:42

65kid

You may have to set another profile for your card. in pavucontrol this is under "configuration", I'm sure the gnome settings have it somewhere as well.

#13 2012-12-16 12:00:09

HumansCan'tBeTrusted

65kid wrote:

You may have to set another profile for your card. in pavucontrol this is under "configuration", I'm sure the gnome settings have it somewhere as well.

I selected Analog Surround 5.1 Output. Still nothing. I'm sure I need to change my default sound card to HDA Intel but how?

--------------------------------------------------

The problem is that i don't hear anything from rear speakers, all speakers works but rear not.

Last edited by HumansCan'tBeTrusted (2012-12-16 13:05:34)

#14 2012-12-16 16:22:32

bohoomil
Website

Try searching the Forums. There are many potential obscure reasons for PulseAudio to misbehave (like this one for instance), some of which you may never think of. Reproducing the diagnostic steps you may read about is the first thing I'd start with (you don't mention your logs' output anywhere), while resetting config files to their default values (in /etc & $HOME) would be the next one. If the exact same hardware works in Ubuntu, try duplicating the configuration found there.

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#15 2012-12-17 14:21:18

HumansCan'tBeTrusted

bohoomil wrote:

Try searching the Forums. There are many potential obscure reasons for PulseAudio to misbehave (like this one for instance), some of which you may never think of. Reproducing the diagnostic steps you may read about is the first thing I'd start with (you don't mention your logs' output anywhere), while resetting config files to their default values (in /etc & $HOME) would be the next one. If the exact same hardware works in Ubuntu, try duplicating the configuration found there.

Many thanks for your post,

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M5u … KkvPg/edit there's some information with output of some commands.

Board footer