You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-15 15:44:51

kg4cjv

laptop fan always runnning

Hello, I'm new to Arch, just installed it, just switched from ubuntu. Anyways, my fan in my laptop seems to be running a lot more than usual on arch then it did on ubuntu. What steps can I take to try to figure out what's causing this?
Here's some info that maybe of use.

cpuinfo
http://pastebin.com/w7Z1diFQ

cpupower frequency-info
http://pastebin.com/fHy6yhNX

sensors
http://pastebin.com/B8DwF4Eh

Unfortunatly I cannot boot back into ubuntu because I did a complete install of arch so I can't compare sensor output and frequency info. I do know that the fan has never kicked on this high when nothing out of the ordinary has been running. Even when I play a movie it's never kicked on this high unless I'm in a heated area (such as outside in the sun).

Hints, tips, suggestions, reading material are all welcome.

Thanks

#2 2012-12-15 16:00:52

flipper T

Re: laptop fan always runnning

Do a google search ?

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#3 2012-12-15 17:31:07

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

have you checked out the fan control article on the wiki?

#4 2012-12-15 17:48:03

WonderWoofy

If you really think that the point of comparison with Ubuntu would help, you can always boot from a livecd and test from there.

Maybe this is related, maybe not, but with Arch, there is the assumption that you will make the necessary adjustments to account for power consumption, performance, etc.  So you may want to check out what powertop says about the power use.  By default, Linux is set up for performance, and this is why things like laptop-mode-tools exist.  I personally don't use such things, and simply set my system to always be on what laptop-mode-tools would probably consider battery mode.

#5 2012-12-17 03:49:27

kg4cjv

WonderWoofy wrote:

If you really think that the point of comparison with Ubuntu would help, you can always boot from a livecd and test from there.

Maybe this is related, maybe not, but with Arch, there is the assumption that you will make the necessary adjustments to account for power consumption, performance, etc.  So you may want to check out what powertop says about the power use.  By default, Linux is set up for performance, and this is why things like laptop-mode-tools exist.  I personally don't use such things, and simply set my system to always be on what laptop-mode-tools would probably consider battery mode.

Thats a great idea, I'll boot ubuntu off a cd and compare temperatures and settings. Maybe I can narrow it down from there.

Board footer