You are not logged in.

#2876 2012-12-13 03:34:18

Zukaro

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone.

I'm pretty new to Arch.  I tried it out about a year ago and I did like it, however, I never bothered to install a GUI (as at the time I thought it'd be very challenging).  Then about two weeks ago I decided "I'm gonna try it again and this time actually finish", so I did.  Surprisingly installing the GUI was one of the easiest things I've ever done.  And now things just work and I love my netbook again.  tongue

I have an Acer Aspire One AOA150/ZG5 (it's about 5 years old now (almost exactly, as I got it for Christmas)), and I <3 it.  I've ordered a new network card which supports bluetooth so I can connect my phone to it with Android Notification (I already set that up with the wifi but I'd prefer to use bluetooth as at school and places without wifi it doesn't give me the notifications).  Surprisingly I also got it to work with my Google account (it's so amazing now; events I put in there actually appear on my computer now rather than just my phone, I <3 it).  tongue

I'm using a bit of an older image of Arch however, the one with the AIF, as I'm used to the AIF and don't want to learn how to use the install scripts right now (perhaps in the future, but for now it's a bit much).

I've also put Arch Linux on the old family PC (we got a new one so I took the old computer and use it for servers and such).  That's my alarm clock now.  tongue  This is the script I use (no music, just voice (mainly because I don't wanna get up, SSH into the machine, and then kill the process running the music tongue)).

echo "Good morning, today is '$(date +%A,%B,%_d,%_Y)'.  It is '$(date +%_I,%_M,%_p)'." | festival --tts

(I know it's probably very inefficient and stuff but I don't care tongue)

The computer I use for that stuff is about 10 years old (probably more; I think we got it around the time Windows XP came out although I'm not sure).  Either way, it's fine for running servers (currently the only thing it's running is my alarm clock though).  I plan to set up a VPN on there eventually (I'd tried awhile ago on Ubuntu using pptpd but failed; this time I plan to try openVPN, not sure if it's any easier or better but I'll find out).  I think my favorite part of Arch Linux is how easy it is to remove packages (I still don't know how to remove them in Ubuntu despite using Ubuntu longer than Arch).

A big part of why I'm using Arch Linux is because you have to do a lot of stuff yourself, so it gives you a good feel as to how Linux works.  I plan to go into computer networking or something related one day, so knowing my way around the command line is probably a good skill to have.  tongue

#2877 2012-12-13 03:52:02

WonderWoofy

If you installed with AIF, does that mean you installed the packages on that disc?  In other words, is your "new" system now incredibly not up to date?

#2878 2012-12-14 01:29:19

hiatus

Hi!

Decided to create an account after lurking here and the wiki for a few weeks.
And finally installed it 5 days ago xD and so far loving it.
Hopefully to learn more and could give a contribution with the limited knowledge i have.

~derryano

#2879 2012-12-14 08:40:20

kindofabuzz

New to Arch but been running Linux for about 4 years now. I've been a Mint fan for awhile, but I have found my new love with Arch. Well technically Cinnarch. smile

#2880 2012-12-14 16:02:46

nomorewindows

Zukaro wrote:

Hello everyone.
I'm using a bit of an older image of Arch however, the one with the AIF, as I'm used to the AIF and don't want to learn how to use the install scripts right now (perhaps in the future, but for now it's a bit much).

The computer I use for that stuff is about 10 years old (probably more; I think we got it around the time Windows XP came out although I'm not sure).  Either way, it's fine for running servers (currently the only thing it's running is my alarm clock though).  I plan to set up a VPN on there eventually (I'd tried awhile ago on Ubuntu using pptpd but failed; this time I plan to try openVPN, not sure if it's any easier or better but I'll find out).  I think my favorite part of Arch Linux is how easy it is to remove packages (I still don't know how to remove them in Ubuntu despite using Ubuntu longer than Arch).

A big part of why I'm using Arch Linux is because you have to do a lot of stuff yourself, so it gives you a good feel as to how Linux works.  I plan to go into computer networking or something related one day, so knowing my way around the command line is probably a good skill to have.  tongue

Since the Arch is rolling release, and old CD works as good as a new CD.

Ubuntu's Synaptic or Software Center will do the removal process.  It's recommended when you have every kernel they've ever had loaded up in your grub menu.  While it's nice to have that capability, it rarely ever gets used.  Ubuntu makes you think you have to reboot immediately, but you can continue running on the kernel since it never vanishes, when updating.

Command-line, oh come on, that's for geeks and people who want better control over their systems and won't settle for GUI voodoo wizardry.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#2881 2012-12-15 04:05:32

TheGuyWithTheFace

Hello World!

I only just installed arch, haven't even broken my system in yet, and I already love it!

I still run Ubuntu Precise Pangolin on my main computer, but I may have to start dual-booting sometime...

#2882 2012-12-15 20:10:41

systole

Hello!

I've been using various distros for the past two years (suse > ubuntu > mint > debian > crunchbang > alpine linux), and wanted to say hello. I'm currently studying for the CCNA + CCNP, and prefer the CLI.  Currently rocking the Cinnamon desktop, but always up for trying something else.

#2883 2012-12-15 21:20:00

kilobtye

Since I’m in living in Moscow and I’m from South Africa I guess I should say it in Russian and Afrikaans.
Да здравствует пользователей Arch Linux, да здравствует наш великий Linux дистрибутив!
Lank lewe vir die gebruikers van Arch Linux, Lank lewe vir ons groot een van die beste as Linux!
Don’t assume this is correct though, my language skills besides English are rusty!

#2884 2012-12-16 01:46:46

yogeshthegenius

Hi, everyone!!! I have been using Ubuntu quite sometime now & all that I have learnt about linux is by reading forums and tutorials on the websites. Earlier when one of my friend used to use ubuntu I used to think Ubuntu is useless, at that time I didn't even knew that something like linux exists for me UBuntu was just another OS like windows but worse than it.
But when I started using it, I liked it so much that I forgot about windows and now I infact hate windows. The thing I like most about Open Source Softwares is the nice intentions behind it. From my own experience I know how helpful people are whenever I was in problem I always got an answer in the forums and websites people are ready to help so selflessly, its the most praiseworthy thing about linux.... They invest thier time and efforts to help others and bring them at par with themselves.
I came to archLInux when I heard in LifeHacker that its not for newbies, its for people who know something about Linux, I thought I must have a look at it and widen my horizens so that I can get more indepth knowledge of the linux world. I haven't used it yet but I am going to install it by the way  Whitson Gordon describes in that post because on my own I can do nothing. I would love to learn more about this fasinating world.
Yogesh

#2885 2012-12-18 07:22:18

mylife4aur

I have been aware of Arch for a long time but i didn't dare to install it. Many painful memories from my days with Gentoo surfaced whenever i read that there is no automated installer for Arch. I had even set up an LFS system and didn't want to get my hands dirty with manual configurations. However, i have always had the ultimate respect for the completeness of  the Arch Wiki and i have used it many times although i used other distros.

A few days ago i decided not to let my past experiences stop me and installed Arch in an old Compaq laptop. The result was: WTF!! The laptop came back to life! I had tried debian and xubuntu before, but Arch really made my old laptop shine. In addition, i realised that the installation process is quite simple and straightforward thanks to the incredible Installation Guide. I was very wrong to compare Arch with Gentoo or LFS installation wise.

Right now i have installed Arch in my main pc and i'm learning the ropes. Keep up the good work Arch Devs!

#2886 2012-12-18 12:09:24

Hootiegibbon
Website

Greetings and Salutations,

For teh best part of the past 6 years I have used Linux exclusivly (infact only recently stared to have a windows install - thats a different story), for most of that 6 years I was a PCLinuxOS user, then moderator and up until May this year an Admin.

In May my time with PCLinuxOS came to an end, which lead me to try out a few different OS's including various *BSD's and Debian-Testing, around October, I purchased a new laptop (more powerful than anything I had previously had) and as it required the use of "bumblebee" I decided to install Debian-Testing , and decided that I would keep a spare partition for PC-BSD - when it was able to use nvidia-optimus.

A friend or two had been trying Arch Linux and suggested  that I try it - I thought ok I have a spare partition that I can test it on....

After installing I set about configuring and adding X choosing my DE - yes I now use a DE and have done since installing Debian - I chose XFCE and added the applications that I had come to use on a regular basis,  I then went about attempting to make it look right... after a few hours I had formed an opinion (as reported in the forum that I run)... I hated it!  ???  :'(

Realizing that this could not be right, after all arch - on paper should be an ideal distro for me - I set about trying to trouble shoot things, the biggest problems were getting bubblebee working for my nvidia-optimus graphics card, non-automounting,general slowness .(especially boot time) and the inability for my cdrom to be used, These were all solved by using the frankly excellent arch documentation (working my way through the appropriate pages - ie bumblebee, XFCE etc) and by installing "gvfs" which also immediately solved a few other issues as well, like seeing the network in Thunar.

After a few other tweaks, I sat back feeling fairly happy and rebooted into my debian install inorder to compare, I like my debian install, it works well and i thought quickly , it then hit me, the arch install was quicker and possibly had better default rendering of graphics.
So I rebooted back, the arch install was great, I spent a few hours booting between both installs , tweaking both as I went, and adding dvd playback to arch, it was then I realised that my first impression was too harsh.

Arch Linux is not an instantly usable distro like PCLinuxOS or Linux Mint debian editon, nor is it teh same as Debian-Testing where some tweaking is required, Arch Linux rewards those that spend time on getting it "just right" , quite how long this will take you depends on what you need, If you have previously spent a couple of hours with Arch and decided it was not for you, I would say go back try again, with a plan on what you want from Arch, then put that plan into motion when finished I would be very surprised if you did not love it.

I have since installed Arch on my AcerOne ZG5 (which will be my 7yr old Daughters first computer), and my R61i Thinkpad, which will be my sons christmas upgrade.

I probably should have tried Arch Linux a couple of years back (it had been on my "to try" list for at least that long), many thanks for what I think is a keeper for me and thanks to those folks who maintain teh Arch Wiki, which is among teh best resources available on teh net for any linux user

Jase

#2887 2012-12-18 15:07:08

AndrzejL

Hootiegibbon wrote:

Greetings and Salutations,

For teh best part of the past 6 years I have used Linux exclusivly (infact only recently stared to have a windows install - thats a different story), for most of that 6 years I was a PCLinuxOS user, then moderator and up until May this year an Admin.

In May my time with PCLinuxOS came to an end, which lead me to try out a few different OS's including various *BSD's and Debian-Testing, around October, I purchased a new laptop (more powerful than anything I had previously had) and as it required the use of "bumblebee" I decided to install Debian-Testing , and decided that I would keep a spare partition for PC-BSD - when it was able to use nvidia-optimus.

A friend or two had been trying Arch Linux and suggested  that I try it - I thought ok I have a spare partition that I can test it on....

After installing I set about configuring and adding X choosing my DE - yes I now use a DE and have done since installing Debian - I chose XFCE and added the applications that I had come to use on a regular basis,  I then went about attempting to make it look right... after a few hours I had formed an opinion (as reported in the forum that I run)... I hated it!  ???  :'(

Realizing that this could not be right, after all arch - on paper should be an ideal distro for me - I set about trying to trouble shoot things, the biggest problems were getting bubblebee working for my nvidia-optimus graphics card, non-automounting,general slowness .(especially boot time) and the inability for my cdrom to be used, These were all solved by using the frankly excellent arch documentation (working my way through the appropriate pages - ie bumblebee, XFCE etc) and by installing "gvfs" which also immediately solved a few other issues as well, like seeing the network in Thunar.

After a few other tweaks, I sat back feeling fairly happy and rebooted into my debian install inorder to compare, I like my debian install, it works well and i thought quickly , it then hit me, the arch install was quicker and possibly had better default rendering of graphics.
So I rebooted back, the arch install was great, I spent a few hours booting between both installs , tweaking both as I went, and adding dvd playback to arch, it was then I realised that my first impression was too harsh.

Arch Linux is not an instantly usable distro like PCLinuxOS or Linux Mint debian editon, nor is it teh same as Debian-Testing where some tweaking is required, Arch Linux rewards those that spend time on getting it "just right" , quite how long this will take you depends on what you need, If you have previously spent a couple of hours with Arch and decided it was not for you, I would say go back try again, with a plan on what you want from Arch, then put that plan into motion when finished I would be very surprised if you did not love it.

I have since installed Arch on my AcerOne ZG5 (which will be my 7yr old Daughters first computer), and my R61i Thinkpad, which will be my sons christmas upgrade.

I probably should have tried Arch Linux a couple of years back (it had been on my "to try" list for at least that long), many thanks for what I think is a keeper for me and thanks to those folks who maintain teh Arch Wiki, which is among teh best resources available on teh net for any linux user

Jase

Yaaayks the "Undisputed King fo teh typos" is here... wink

Well... Since we are introducing ourselves...

Hi.

My name is Andrzej and I am an addict.

I have been a PCLinuxOS user since 2007. I have been their forum member and Polish section moderator. Just like Jase I have started to think about changing the distribution in May but it took me lot longer to actually try doing so. I am very conservative and one of my biggest problems is letting go and moving on... but finally I did. After a lot of thinking and a lot of questions and reading I have tried Arch Linux about 2-3 weeks ago and soon after that I moved my main machine (and my fiance's machine) to it. Paraphrasing the words of Oracle in "Matrix - Revolutions"  - "Change is a dangerous game..." and I always try to avoid it when possible but I must say this time I was quite angry with myself for not moving to Arch much sooner. After I moved - I started nagging Hootiegibbon to try it and finally (after a bit of moaning) he got sucked in too but that's a longer story...

After using Linux exclusively for the last 5 years I still consider myself a noob. Sometimes I can say or write something that will make me sound like I know what I am doing but in fact I am not... it's mostly guess work wink.

I was very much used to using a simple point-and-click distro so changing to arch was a bit of a shock but I must say I am loving it. Stable, fast, easy to configure... Forum and IRC channel full of helpful people... Wiki full of info, repositories full of packages and the bug tracker and the aur repo... What's not to like...

Anyway... Regards from Pole living in Ireland.

May the source be with You.

Andrzej

Last edited by AndrzejL (2012-12-18 15:10:59)

The worst thing about censorship is ██████ ██ ████ ████████████ and ██████ ███████ ███ ███████████.

#2888 2012-12-21 03:06:10

crushpsych

Greetings fellow archusers! smile

#2889 2012-12-21 04:16:47

pam

Brilliant!!
Using linux for almost 16 years....jumping from distro to distro........my distro hopping days are practically dead.
Ubuntu and debian fill in the thirst for linux. But linux is about being a "rolling distro" without being a simpleton or self-brainwashed geek.
Arch linux by far is the best rolling, usable, reliable and stable distro on the planet...
Gentoo is awesome but the geeky factor and learning curve is worse than learning c and writing programs with it.....at least in c nothing is esoteric and its all laid out for you to choose...
FreeBSD is another great but sadly in a sorry state for hardware...with little to no support!!
installed arch linux around six months ago on my netbook (AOO 533)---just gave it life!!!!...haven't had the time to tweak until now..
awesome installation and wifi support out of the BOX !!!
Installed openbox ....trying to get compiz to work.....the documentation and KB is awesome...

You arch linux guys are just great and my commitment to linux stands high because of this distro.
Ubuntu is another great and red hat stuff is practical for servers....and arch linux is somthing you want placed at your tombstone.

Main workstation: HP-Pavilion G6-2005ax, AMD quad core trinity APU(devastator) with 7640 HD 512 MB radeon + 7670m 1GB Gddr3 dedicated, 240 gb zalman ssd, 8GB ddr 3 1600mhz, OS: Arch 2013, Ultimate 3.4 lite, Windows 8.
Moderator at www.ultimateeditionoz.com Admin at:http://forumubuntusoftware.info

#2890 2012-12-21 19:58:30

hawaiicharles

Aloha from Hawaii!  My name is Charles and I started using Mandrake back in 1999.  That and Knoppix were the only Linux distros I used up until about a year ago, when I grew dissatisfied with the direction Mandriva was going, so I decided to try other distros.  I tried almost everything in Distrowatch's top ten.  When I finally got around to trying Arch, I knew right away I had found my new home.  I love that I can set up an installation with only the pieces that I want/need without any extra baggage (for example, a LAMP server without X), and any problems I encountered have been solvable with 10-20 minutes of web searching.  I've been lurking in the forums since August 2012 and I'm looking forward to participating.

I'm on the IT staff at a medium-sized business in Honolulu where I support about 240 Windows desktops and several Windows servers running on VMware.  So Linux is just a hobby for me, but one I have renewed interest in since discovering Arch.  I can honestly say that I have learned more about Linux in the past 6 months than in the previous 10 years, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can learn in 2013!

#2891 2012-12-21 22:10:18

jkpieka

Hello archies. I'm a new arch user, but I am learning allot. I already have xfce4 going and am happily customizing and configuring. My name is James, im 21 and reside somewhere in the United States smile

#2892 2012-12-22 14:36:23

aitkena

Hello Archers, I've been using Arch a good few months now but I've never really went into forum-related stuff... it amazes me that about one year ago today I would be using Windows 7 (the horror!) and didn't know what on Earth "Arch Linux" was, such ignorant times.  Since then I've managed to go from Ubuntu to FreeBSD (for about an hour) and then to Arch, I feel a little bit proud that I've now memorized how to install Arch on my laptop without use of a guide big_smile and now I don't flinch at the thought of using a terminal.  Merry Christmas to you all and a happy New Year!
- Andrew

#2893 2012-12-22 23:04:58

jhutson456

Hey all. I used Arch briefly before and moved to other distros. I've distro hopped a lot and even made my own distro (which sadly died before it's time due to outside forces). I'm now ready to "settle down" and decide on a distro and for many obvious reasons I'm setting my stake with Arch Linux. I was really excited to see the wiki entry on getting going with Arch as a Server as well. Anyhow, I'm here for the long haul and looking forward to it. :-)

I've used Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Bodhi, Kubuntu, Netrunner,  Fedora, and CentOS. (Used Mint the longest though and been using Fedora most recently)

Last edited by jhutson456 (2012-12-22 23:16:10)

#2894 2012-12-23 11:59:31

Zorbeez

HELLO OXIWORLD

I've been using Ubuntu for a time. I can't specify as I am a hikikomori and I have abolutly no concept of any sort of passage of time at all. It could be anywhere from 5 years to 5 months. But over the time I've learned how to use it and became less pleased with Windows' restrictive nature, and the fact that the terminal does absolutly nothing.
I've recently been fed up with using a "party bag" operating system and wanted to have the rewarding feeling of setting up my own system. Of course I wasn't going to use LFS, so, I went with Arch. I was originally going to use Parabola GNU/Linux-libre as I am a healthy freedom activist, but, it wouldn't install for some reason. Perhaps later I'll upgrade my current Arch install. Installing Arch was a fun and rewarding experience and I'm looking forward to learning more about operating systems. One of the reasons I went to Arch though was the community. I wanted to see a good community, a community that reminded me of the old MIT labs days. Arch's community sounded like that.

Also now I get to tell everyone I use Arch, with or without being prompt with the question.

๏̯͡๏

#2895 2012-12-23 13:28:51

tissuefluid

Hi, everyone!

I've been using arch for more than a year. But I just registered minutes ago. I'm a college student from a country which we called 'celestial empire' . big_smile Just a joke.

Yup...My English is poor...But I'm working hard on it.

My favourite (exactly what I've been using now) :
openbox + tint2 + conky
xterm + tmux
Z Shell
Vim

My computer is as poor as my English, So I prefer to use lightweight desktop environment and something efficient (like vim, xterm).
OK, I've waffled over... big_smile

:wq Hello\ World

#2896 2012-12-23 14:10:16

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Zorbeez wrote:

Also now I get to tell everyone I use Arch, with or without being prompt with the question.

“How do you know someone uses Arch Linux?”
“They will tell you.”

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#2897 2012-12-23 14:15:14

x33a
Forum Fellow

tissuefluid wrote:

[snip]

My computer is as poor as my English, So I prefer to use lightweight desktop environment and something efficient (like vim, xterm).

Your english is quite good actually, so I think so is your computer wink

#2898 2012-12-23 14:56:00

tissuefluid

x33a wrote:
tissuefluid wrote:

Your english is quite good actually, so I think so is your computer wink

To tell you the truth, I looked up some phrases in google translate. smile And.. Yes... My computer feels much better since it reborn with Arch Linux big_smile

Last edited by tissuefluid (2012-12-23 14:57:57)

#2899 2012-12-23 15:58:15

x33a
Forum Fellow

Google translate sure is getting better and better!

#2900 2012-12-24 20:17:11

fiddler

hello
i've been using arch since 2 years ago , alongside archbang (was) and debian sid , and gentoo , oh and osx
i'm attracted to archlinux after my college friends showing me how easy it is to solve every dependency problem in archlinux ( i was a slackware user before), and the diversity of packages in AUR (Gods below! it's really good!)
to make it brief , i do love arch because of its simplicity ( i can setup my perfect working environment in under 2 hours, in comparison to half a day in slackware) , and its AUR.

excuse me for my broken english

cheers from Indonesia

-Indonesia Raya-

Board footer