You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-15 01:14:41

rzrscm

Problem with NES/SNES emulators...

I'm trying to play some games using fceuX, but the issue is that the video will get extremely choppy to the point of freezing.  When I disable sound, the game will run extremely slow and ocassionally speed up to a decent framerate for a few moments.

I'm also using ZSNES, which had a similar problem (slow video) until it decided to stop working altogether and now it just crashes and closes immediately when I try to run it...Not sure if this'll give insight to my issues with both emulators...I could be wrong, but it looks like a memory allocation issue.

zsnes: malloc.c:2368: sysmalloc: Assertion `(old_top == (((mbinptr) (((char *) &((av)->bins[((1) - 1) * 2])) - __builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd)))) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= (unsigned long)((((__builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd_nextsize))+((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1)) & ~((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1))) && ((old_top)->size & 0x1) && ((unsigned long)old_end & pagemask) == 0)' failed.
zsh: abort (core dumped)  zsnes

I'm using the proprietary Nvidia 173xx drivers.  Just using Alsa for sound...No Jack or anything.

#2 2012-12-15 03:00:13

rzrscm

Re: Problem with NES/SNES emulators...

I messed around with ZSNES's config file, and it started working after I lowered the sound sample rate...I then disabled sound, and it works better, but the video is still very slow.

[update] I change the video settings to use OpenGL and kept the sound rate at 16000, and ZSNES seems to be working perfectly now.  fceuX is still being problematic.  I noticed that it works fine if I keep the scaling at 1.0 and keep the sound disabled, but that's way too small and I want it to be 2.0 and would strongly prefer sound.

Last edited by rzrscm (2012-12-15 03:22:49)

#3 2012-12-15 09:46:17

Rasi
Website

Is there any reason for not using snex9x? zsnes is unmaintained for 11 years now and lacks 64bit support.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#4 2012-12-15 10:55:22

satanselbow

Rasi wrote:

Is there any reason for not using snex9x? zsnes is unmaintained for 11 years now and lacks 64bit support.

Still works well on x64 for me wink snes9x does bring some welcome enhancements, however. fceux (IMHO) has always been problematic (for me).

Without a little more info about your system there is not a lot more help to be offered - can't help if it is specifically NVidia related as I avoid them like the plague sad

#5 2012-12-15 13:55:27

Earnestly

Even better, use RetroArch (libretro) with the snes9x-next module. Extremely active development and runs wonderfully.
You can also use additional emulation modules from NDS (desmume) to neogeo (Final Burn Alpha) to the psx (mednafen's¹ psx emulation) all via an easy, unified command line interface and working splendidly in a Tiler.

¹ mednafen is also another pretty excellent multi-system emulator.

Last edited by Earnestly (2012-12-15 14:01:08)

#6 2012-12-15 22:30:28

rzrscm

Rasi wrote:

Well, my main reason was that ZSNES had less dependencies and a smaller file size...And I've used ZSNES for a long time with no problems, so I've always found it to be reliable.  I will try it for the sake of comparing it's performance to ZSNES when I can get to my laptop, though.  I don't need 64bit support because my laptop is a bit old.

satanselbow wrote:

Without a little more info about your system there is not a lot more help to be offered - can't help if it is specifically NVidia related as I avoid them like the plague

I don't know what other info would be helpful...I could tell you that it's an older laptop with a 1.5ghz Intel processor and 512MB of RAM, but I don't think my specs would be the problem because I used to use NES and SNES emulators just fine over 12 years ago on a computer which had a 133mhz processor and something like 128MB of RAM.

Kaustic wrote:

Even better, use RetroArch (libretro) with the snes9x-next module. Extremely active development and runs wonderfully.
You can also use additional emulation modules from NDS (desmume) to neogeo (Final Burn Alpha) to the psx (mednafen's¹ psx emulation) all via an easy, unified command line interface and working splendidly in a Tiler.¹ mednafen is also another pretty excellent multi-system emulator.

I'll give RetroArch a shot later...Thanks.  I tried Mednafen a while ago to try to play some PC Engine games, and I had nothing but issues with it...Probably more of a PC Engine specific issue than an issue with the emulator itself, though.

Board footer