You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-16 13:23:01

dr_te_z

archlinux as 2nd linux (guest grub)

Hi. My laptop broke down so I got a new one from my boss. Got win7 installed and that has to stay there because of company things installed.
My old laptop ran Arch for years and now I found out about the "new" install...<wtf>.... and I decided (got a bigger disk now) to install Ubuntu 1st (leaving win7 intact) and then install Arch as 3rd O.S. Ubuntu will install & manage the boot loader and must boot Arch for me as well.

Sounds easy enough. Installing Ubuntu can be done while you sleep and installing Arch was not as hard as my 1st impression smile I did not install any boot-loader in Arch. Now Ubu's grub2 has to know about Arch so I called upon my old friend Google. Did not find much usefull there.. I had separate partitions for /boot and root and I did not succeed to get that working. So I re-installed Arch in 1 big partition and finally got things to work:

root@ubuT61:~# cat /etc/grub.d/40_custom 
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
#
menuentry "Arch" {
	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 67de6fdd-78da-4df6-bd48-be9b791110bb
	linux     /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=67de6fdd-78da-4df6-bd48-be9b791110bb ro 
	initrd    /boot/initramfs-linux.img 
}

Does not look very spectaculair but I took me long enough to figure it out.
Things do not get any easier with grub2. Using the "old" methods (OS/2 boot manager, lilo, grub) this kind of things were no thread to me.... can be me, getting old & grumpy

Somewhere between "too small" and "too large" lies the size that is just right.
- Scott Hayes

#2 2012-12-16 15:01:25

drobole

Re: archlinux as 2nd linux (guest grub)

How did you find the partition UUID, lsblk?
What commands did you have to run after this, update-grub, grub-install, grub-mkconfig?

#3 2012-12-16 15:55:17

dr_te_z

No,I used the "blkid" command to obtain the UUID.
Executed "update-grub"  after editing the 40_custom file (as root on Ubu)

Somewhere between "too small" and "too large" lies the size that is just right.
- Scott Hayes

#4 2012-12-16 17:10:27

WonderWoofy

I have seen reports numerous times that for some reason, ubuntu's grub has a hard time autodetecting Arch.  I think this may have to do with the kernel/initramfs naming scheme we have here (which I personally think is great for its simplicity).

Board footer