You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-10 21:26:09

mamamia88

[SOLVED] /etc/mkinitcpio.conf block hook

I had an update that asked me to replace all instances of fw, sata, pata, scsi, virtio, mmc, usb in /etc/mkinitcpio with a single instance of block hook.  well i control+f's all those and no instances of those show up in the file.   Do i need to do anything?

Last edited by mamamia88 (2012-12-10 22:54:36)

#2 2012-12-10 21:31:39

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] /etc/mkinitcpio.conf block hook

So you have none of those hooks is your mkinitcpio.conf?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2012-12-10 21:39:54

mamamia88

jasonwryan wrote:

So you have none of those hooks is your mkinitcpio.conf?

control f yielded no results.

#4 2012-12-10 22:07:27

Scimmia
Fellow

We're talking about a single line, why would you have to do a find?

HOOKS="list of hooks here"

#5 2012-12-10 22:38:15

mamamia88

Scimmia wrote:

We're talking about a single line, why would you have to do a find?

HOOKS="list of hooks here"

same line appears multiple times except only one is uncommented which mine reads "HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems usbinput fsck"

#6 2012-12-10 22:50:23

Scimmia
Fellow

That's the new default HOOKS line in the new mkinitcpio.conf. The instructions were for converting an old mkinitcpio.conf to work with the new hooks. See, you've already got the "block" hook defined.

Last edited by Scimmia (2012-12-10 22:51:00)

#7 2012-12-10 22:53:45

mamamia88

fair enough.  just seems weird that it tells me about manual intervention and yet it did it all for me.   thanks for the help.

#8 2012-12-10 23:04:36

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

mamamia88 wrote:

and yet it did it all for me.

Arch doesn't work like that...

#9 2012-12-10 23:17:12

Scimmia
Fellow

Actually, jasonwryan, it could. If he hadn't modified the original mkinitcpio.conf at all, it would have been replaced by the new one automatically instead of going to a pacnew file.

#10 2012-12-10 23:24:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Scimmia wrote:

Actually, jasonwryan, it could. If he hadn't modified the original mkinitcpio.conf at all, it would have been replaced by the new one automatically instead of going to a pacnew file.

This is true. It doesn't really detract from my overall point, particularly in light of this thread...

#11 2012-12-10 23:27:37

mamamia88

Scimmia wrote:

exactly what happened.   it would be nice if they changed the wording to be something like.   "you updated this package.  your file has been replaced with the new one." or if a pacnew file is created explain what to merge in the error message.  or better yet in the .pacnew file add a commented line at the top of the file with notes on how to properly merge files. i don't think that's asking too much

#12 2012-12-10 23:30:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

mamamia88 wrote:

it would be nice if they changed the wording to be something like.   "you updated this package.  your file has been replaced with the new one." or if a pacnew file is created explain what to merge in the error message.  or better yet in the .pacnew file add a commented line at the top of the file with notes on how to properly merge files. i don't think that's asking too much

You are free to ask, of course. You are just a lot more likely to get a positive answer with another distro. There has to be some sort of limit for handholding, and the message that ships with the new package seems to be about the right one for this community.

#13 2012-12-16 18:54:17

kjell

Agreed here, that update message was very confusing.  To me it sounded like the only needed thing in hooks was now "block".

#14 2012-12-16 19:53:00

bgc1954

@kjell - I guess it all depends on how long you've been hanging around here.

warning: /etc/mkinitcpio.conf installed as /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew
 ==> The "block" hook has replaced several hooks:
     fw, sata, pata, scsi, virtio, mmc, usb
     Replace any and all of these in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf with a single
     instance of the "block" hook

No confusion here. wink

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#15 2012-12-16 20:19:04

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

mamamia88 wrote:

exactly what happened.   it would be nice if they changed the wording to be something like.   "you updated this package.  your file has been replaced with the new one." or if a pacnew file is created explain what to merge in the error message.  or better yet in the .pacnew file add a commented line at the top of the file with notes on how to properly merge files. i don't think that's asking too much

I think the packager who made the changes should come to your house and update the files in person. I think the rest of the devs and TUs should come with him and bring pizza and drinks, then give you a nice full body massage with extra attention paid to the feet while the packager fixes your system. They should then tidy up the place, walk the dog and fill up the fridge before they leave.

Come on, there was a very clear post-upgrade message explaining EXACTLY what needed to be done. In most cases, .pacnew files are only generated for files that the user has edited manually, so it's completely reasonable to expect the user to have some basic idea of how to merge changes with what he has already done.

As for comments at the top of the file, the .pacnew files are the default files in the package. The ".pacnew" suffix is only added when the original file is changed. Comments about merging would just be confusing in many cases. "Hey, if the name of this files contains the suffix ".pacnew" then you have already edited a previous version of this file. The current version is the new default and should be merged with the existing file, if the changes are relevant. Here is a long list of package versions along with the changes made in each one so that you can easily determine which changes you should make to the existing file, depending on when you last merged the changes. <long list goes here, cluttering up the file> But of course, if this package doesn't have the ".pacnew" extension then you can ignore this."

Personally I think the post_upgrade messages with concise information is the right way to do this.

Last edited by Xyne (2012-12-16 20:20:33)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#16 2012-12-16 21:48:59

WonderWoofy

@Xyne, is this fix it service being offered?  Where can I sign up?  Or do I just have to complain a whole bunch?

#17 2012-12-16 22:49:48

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

WonderWoofy wrote:

@Xyne, is this fix it service being offered?  Where can I sign up?  Or do I just have to complain a whole bunch?

The service will be offered just as soon as donations pick up enough to pay for the plane tickets, drinks and pizza.

Excessive complaining will make you eligible for Allan's exclusive "Surprise from Down Under" offer. He will personally select and ship a deadly native Australian animal to your house overnight, to be delivered through your window in the early hours of the morning. His motto is "upgrades will be the least of your problems".

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer