You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-17 00:28:38

mohack

fsck error after installation

Hi Everyone!

I installed Arch on my system with three hdds, sda, sdb, and sdc. Arch is installed on sdb with two linux partitions, sdb1 and sdb2. On sda and sdc I use Windows and they are ntfs formatted.
I don't want to use those two disks in Arch, so I only have sdb1 and sdb2 in fstab and sdb1, which is bootable and mounted at /boot, in syslinux.
But when I try to boot the system, I get an error from fsck:

fsck: fsck.ntfs: not found 
dsck: error 2 while executing fsck.ntfs for /dev/sda1
ERROR: fsck failed on '/dev/sda1'
:: mounting '/dev/sda1' on real root
mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'

So I googled how to disable fsck for those disks and tried

tune2fs -c 0 /dev/sda

and also

tune2fs -c 0 /dev/sda1

which both raised the error

tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda(1) 
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock

So I can't boot because these disks can't be checked, but I can't seem to be able to disable checking either. And I don't want to fiddle around with reading ntfs drives on linux.
What is wrong and what can I do? Arch shouldn't concern itself with sda at all, I just want it to leave the disk alone...

Thanks in advance!

#2 2012-12-17 01:09:08

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: fsck error after installation

/dev/sda1 is being fsck'd because that's what you put in your bootloader config for the root device.

#3 2012-12-17 01:09:45

bohoomil
Website

It looks pretty complex... A few things to think about:

1. Check how to disable fsck via fstab.
2. Where did you install the bootloader and how was it configured?
3. What filesystem(s) are sdb{1,2}?

Edit: my timing is my ID...

Last edited by bohoomil (2012-12-17 01:10:33)

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#4 2012-12-17 01:56:02

mohack

Thanks!

falconindy: In the bootloader config for syslinux, there is only sdb1, which is the linux boot partiton. On my virtualbox with only one virtual disk, it works this way. Or what do you mean?

bohoomil: I know how to use the check flags in fstab (at least I think so), but those disks sda and sdc are not in fstab! Only the two linux partitions sdb1 and sdb2 are in fstab. I generated fstab and installed and configured the syslinux bootloader exactly as described in Arch-fstab and Arch-Syslinux.
This worked perfectly fine on my Virtualbox, but on this system with the three disks, it doesn't.
sdb? are ext4, same as in the working VB installation.

#5 2012-12-17 02:00:41

falconindy
Developer
Website

mohack wrote:

In the bootloader config for syslinux, there is only sdb1, which is the linux boot partiton. On my virtualbox with only one virtual disk, it works this way. Or what do you mean?

Prove it. Post your config. My claim is that you're passing root=/dev/sda1 in the APPEND line for the selected bootloader entry. That's the logical reason that the initramfs wants to fsck and mount /dev/sda1.

mohack wrote:

bohoomil: I know how to use the check flags in fstab (at least I think so), but those disks sda and sdc are not in fstab! Only the two linux partitions sdb1 and sdb2 are in fstab. I generated fstab and installed and configured the syslinux bootloader exactly as described in Arch-fstab and Arch-Syslinux.
This worked perfectly fine on my Virtualbox, but on this system with the three disks, it doesn't.
sdb? are ext4, same as in the working VB installation.

None of this is relevant when /etc/fstab isn't even available yet.

Last edited by falconindy (2012-12-17 02:01:09)

#6 2012-12-17 02:27:54

mohack

Now I rebooted into the installation iso and mounted sdb1 to /mnt, edited the syslinux config and it was, as you said, back to sda1. But I was so sure I changed it before to sdb1, so I changed it again, saved, rebooted, and it was back to sda1 again. Then I did the same thing again, saved, rebooted again, and now it is sdb1. I don't get it, but I'm glad it seems to work now smile
Thanks!

Board footer