You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-17 12:55:48

zenten

Looking for a simple file manager with video thumbnails for my kids

So my 4 year old is good enough with the mouse that he can navigate DVD menus that are understandable for those who can't read.  I'm wanting to set up a file browser for him so he can open video files on his own. How can I go about doing this? I'm thinking maybe Thunar or pcmanfm with that other program that lets you view video thumbnails, but I want to see if there's a better option. Ideally there would just be the thumbnails on the screen, along with folders that have thumbnail previews of the files inside like Windows can do. If there is a menu at the top and whatnot (that I can't hide) he will probably get in there often and need help to get out of whatever menu he is stuck in. Also, if the thumbnails could be really close together without the file name below (say have it on top the thumbnail) that would be awesome too.

Anyone know which file browser would be the best fit for this?

#2 2012-12-17 13:06:41

NikTh
Website

Re: Looking for a simple file manager with video thumbnails for my kids

What about Nautilus ?

KISS my Arch

#3 2012-12-17 14:26:09

drcouzelis
Website

Re: Looking for a simple file manager with video thumbnails for my kids

It doesn't sound like you want a file manager. What you described sounds like a media manager, like MythTV (which I haven't tried). Is there a reason you don't use something like that?

Also, I think my from this thread is relavent. My daughter (2 yr 2 mo) now turns on, starts videos, and watches them by herself on her 2003 iMac. I didn't teach her how to do it. It doesn't even have video thumbnails but she finds what she wants to watch anyway. My point is, children will learn whatever you put in front of them, so don't worry too much about making it "child ready". smile

Board footer