You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-08 18:54:47

rberry88

All downloaded files via pacman -Syu are corrupted

I have a fresh install of AL and wanted to do a 'pacman -Syu' before going too far. Well it started fine and was downloading the files (about 20 in the list) and so I left it to finish while I slept last night.

This morning I wake up and check it and it shows all files that it tried to upgrade/install are corrupted. I'm using the 'Current & Extras' repositories in pacman.conf.

Is there something that I'm missing or doing wrong or a way to fix this without needing to re-install AL from scratch again?

rberry88 :?:

#2 2004-01-08 19:31:28

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: All downloaded files via pacman -Syu are corrupted

Upgrade pacman first.  pacman -S pacman

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-01-08 19:37:11

rberry88

I did this before I did the 'pacman -Syu'.

I did pacman -S pacman and it downloaded and installed pacman-2.7.x.x.x which I thought would have avoided any problems but it doesn't appear that way.

rberry88

#4 2004-01-08 19:43:43

andy

I would guess you filled up /var (or at least where /var/cache/pacman/pkg resides).

To clean the cache do a
pacman -Sc
and then try again.

#5 2004-01-09 02:04:28

rberry88

andy wrote:

I would guess you filled up /var (or at least where /var/cache/pacman/pkg resides).

To clean the cache do a
pacman -Sc
and then try again.

Thanks, that did the trick.

Is there a way to know when the cache is getting filled up before this happens or a way to check or should I just do "pacman -Sc" quite often??

rberry88

#6 2004-01-09 03:31:50

contrasutra

You could run pacman -Sc as a cron job, easy enough.

/var should only fill up if its on a seperate partition. If you find it filling up often, make the partition bigger.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#7 2004-01-09 04:38:43

rberry88

/var is on my root  partition (everything is actually) and its 18 GB with only 7% used. Is there a way to make the size of /var bigger when it is contained on root?

rberry88

#8 2004-01-09 11:32:42

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

It's possible that the issue was not disc space.  Double check though to make sure, go to /var/cache/pacman/pkg and type in 'df -h .' to make sure it's mounted under your root partition and that you have enough space.

Rather than disc space, it might have just been a combination of bad pacman upgrades and corrupted package downloads.  When you did the 'pacman -Sc', your forced it to purge your cache and re-download.  Perhaps upgrading pacman and blowing away the cache is what fixed your problem.

To answer your question about resizing partitions.  In practice that can be pretty tough.  You'd probably need an extra partition that you could use to add to an existing smaller partition.  There are programs out there (parted) and commercial ones you can take a look at.

For a home/work system I typically go with /boot, /home, swap and /.  For servers, it depends on its use, but I ditch /home and use /usr/local and maybe a /var partition.

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#9 2004-01-09 13:56:37

rberry88

This is somewhat interesting unless I'm misinterpreting it wrong. I go to /var/cache/pacman/pkg and it listed the last 3 items/packages that I installed, I then did df -h and then did 'pacman -Sc' to clear these out and did df -h again:

[root@tux pkg]# ls
evolution-1.4.5-4.pkg.tar.gz  gnet1-1.1.9-1.pkg.tar.gz  pan-0.14.2-1.pkg.tar.gz
[root@tux pkg]# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part8
                       22G  1.5G   21G   7% /
none                  251M     0  251M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 2.0G   12K  2.0G   1% /tmp
[root@tux pkg]# pacman -Sc
removing packages from cache... done.
[root@tux pkg]# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part8
                       22G  1.4G   21G   7% /
none                  251M     0  251M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                 2.0G   12K  2.0G   1% /tmp
[root@tux pkg]#

So, my opinion would be that it wasn't the disc space that was an issue but most likely a corrupted download or other problem that went away when I cleared the cache and installed the new pacman version.

rberry88

#10 2004-01-10 19:39:19

sarah31
Website

no it was likely a difference the meta data/db info between your packages and pacman. having older info from earlier versions of packages or an older db can cause issues such as these.

when stepping up your pacman version, especially when changing from the cd installed version, it would be wise to purge your cache. old metadata can be a problem otherwise.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer