You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-20 13:07:50

Chiefcooker

Request: An install medium without efi

Hi, I have a request, could you please be so kind and provide an install medium without efi? There is a wiki page which explains how to do that, but without an existing linux install there is no chance to do it. So why I ask for this and do not use an usb-stick to install? Because there are devices out there (macs) which are not able to boot from non-gpt usbs or usbs at all. If you take a look for example on the ubuntu download page you will see, that they do exacly that, but I really do not want to use ubuntu.

So please make me happy smile
And have a nice day wink

#2 2012-12-20 14:26:53

mcmillan

Re: Request: An install medium without efi

Don't know enough to understand the merits of the request, but you're not likely to get any kind of response from people who matter by posting on forums. You need to post a feature request on the bugtracker

#3 2012-12-20 15:58:56

chris_l

Chiefcooker wrote:

but I really do not want to use ubuntu.

Why? you don't need to install ubuntu, just install libisoburn on the live environment and process your iso there. If ubuntu is a no, then download another live linux that can boot from your mac, and do it there.

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#4 2012-12-20 16:02:27

WonderWoofy

mcmillan is right, you really need to do a bit ore research in what you actually need.  If you spent even a moment trying to find something in these very forums that might relate to your needs, you would have found a number of threads. 

Instead of asking for others to solve your issues, please try to find information on what it is that is actually causing your problems.  If you think you need to have an installation medium adjusted so that you can actually boot it, then just go use that ubuntu installation medium that you linked to.

#5 2012-12-20 17:22:37

Chiefcooker

Yeah, there is the possibility to use another distro to create an iso that comes without efi to install the right distro to your device.... And I know how to do that, but when you search the web, you will find many posts here and elsewhere, where peaple can not install arch on their mac, or be able to boot it with efi but cannot run binary grafic drivers because of efi, and so on... and all they would need, is such an installation iso without efi. But most of them dont know. So if there would be an official "mac" iso, most of the probs would be gone.

And the "use another distro to get the right iso of the distro you want" feels very user-unfriendly to me, and if you dont know why its not booting, and maybe have no time to search through countless forum threads, then you will probably not install arch, because you simply cant.

thanks for the tip with the bug report, here it is: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/33145

Last edited by Chiefcooker (2012-12-20 17:38:02)

#6 2012-12-20 17:37:44

chris_l

In order to be an official iso like that, a dev (or maybe a TU, not sure) would have to be insterested on create it and maintain it.

Chiefcooker wrote:

And the "use another distro to get the right iso of the distro you want" feels very user-unfriendly to me

er, remember being user-friendly is not part of the goals of arch ^_^

But, Arch supports and foments user colaboration. Maybe you could create that iso, and post about it on user contributions.

You'll have to update it every once they release a new one, and clearly explaining is not an official iso.

Last edited by chris_l (2012-12-20 17:40:48)

No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

#7 2012-12-20 17:42:50

Chiefcooker

I do not know how the dev(s) do create the official iso, but if this is an automated thing, it would be nice to run one more command (I mean the one from the wiki page i posted in the first thread) and have both isos directly, without having to hassle around with the correctness of the command and the need to search for new arch release isos...

#8 2012-12-20 18:03:17

chris_l

Remember they stopped shipping x86_64-only and i686-only isos, so they can be able to ship only one iso.
While some people wanted the other 2 isos, the true is they save bandwidth and space with something only few will need.

Well, I don't think so, but maybe you'll convince them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by chris_l (2012-12-20 18:04:28)

No.

#9 2012-12-20 23:13:47

cfr

According to the comments on the bug, there's no need to use another distro - you can remaster the iso in OS X using hdiutil.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#10 2012-12-20 23:18:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Chiefcooker wrote:

And the "use another distro to get the right iso of the distro you want" feels very user-unfriendly to me, and if you dont know why its not booting, and maybe have no time to search through countless forum threads, then you will probably not install arch, because you simply cant.

If you have no time to search through countless forum threads and do not know why its not booting (note the AND, not OR), then you should not install Arch. With 'you' here not (necessarily) aimed at you specifically but at the set of people who fit the above statement.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer