You are not logged in.

#451 2012-11-25 20:15:53

moetunes

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

Ah, breadcrumbs. I didn't know what to call that sort of interface.
Thanks for answering my query anonymous_user. smile

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#452 2012-11-28 16:41:57

zeltak

Hi again IgnorantGuru

how are you?

i have some more questions (and this time i read the manual..spent all night yesterday doing that ;-))

1.with the new socket commnds , can they be used to control the sorting in the panes? (IE sort by date, inverse date etc..). i coulndt find that out in the documentation.

2.also on the socket topic,  i keep seeing that alot of people other then myself really enjoy the 'dual pane' mode in spaceFM. one of the issues i cant seem to solve is having the copy/move/etc.. commands work the same in both panels to mimic a traditional dual pane FM. that is i can assign 'F5' to the command copy to panel 2 but then when in pabel 2 the same key cant be used again to copy to panel 1. can you suggest a way to solve this if possible?

3.was wondering today how cool it would be to have spacefm on my servers (headless) running as a deamon and auto mounting drives etc.. i can install it but ofc it wont run since there is no X. is it possible to run it as deamin without X? also a thought occured to me that it would be somewhat cool to have it running as a deamon/server and connect through a web interface or the desktop client to it..maybe its impractical but the idea seemed cool smile

4. Is it possible to use the context concept and extend it to launching/editing etc by context type? IE i have the F4 key assigned to the edit command. when the file is *.txt it would launch vim and if the file is *.mp3 it would launch audacity etc?

i have some other small requestes but ill post it on the github tracker

btw if youd like i could create a screencast if spacefm 'pimping' it, let me know if you need such a thing

thx agin

Z.

P.S any activity in the IRC channel? it seems like there is tumblweed passing there ;-)

Last edited by zeltak (2012-11-28 17:18:42)

#453 2012-11-28 22:49:08

anonymous_user

3. If you just want automounting, use udevil/devmon.

#454 2012-11-29 16:50:48

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

1.with the new socket commnds , can they be used to control the sorting in the panes? (IE sort by date, inverse date etc..). i coulndt find that out in the documentation.

You can set a shortcut key to the sort control menu items then use emit-key to activate them from a script.  This allows you to activate any setting, but cannot read the state of a setting.  That should allow you to control most things, but if you think socket properties for the sort settings would be genuinely useful let me know.  I considered it but wasn't sure how useful that would be.

2.also on the socket topic,  i keep seeing that alot of people other then myself really enjoy the 'dual pane' mode in spaceFM. one of the issues i cant seem to solve is having the copy/move/etc.. commands work the same in both panels to mimic a traditional dual pane FM. that is i can assign 'F5' to the command copy to panel 2 but then when in pabel 2 the same key cant be used again to copy to panel 1. can you suggest a way to solve this if possible?

EDIT: Actually, you can just assign F5 to Edit|Copy To|Panel|Next (those menus are mostly for assigning keys).  If you just have two panels open that will do what you want.

The script can use $fm_panel to determine which panel is current and take the appropriate action.  eg:

#!/bin/bash
# Copy files to horizontally adjacent panel
# enable Run As Task & Popup Error
$fm_import

if [ "${fm_file}" = "" ]; then
    echo "No files are selected."
    exit 1  # this triggers a popup if Popup Error is set
fi

case "$fm_panel" in
    1 )
	dest_dir="${fm_pwd_panel[2]}"
	;;
    2 )
        dest_dir="${fm_pwd_panel[1]}"
        ;;
    3 )
        dest_dir="${fm_pwd_panel[4]}"
        ;;
    4 )
        dest_dir="${fm_pwd_panel[3]}"
        ;;
esac

if [ "$dest_dir" = "" ]; then
    echo "Adjacent panel is not open"
    exit 1
fi

cp "${fm_files[@]}" "$dest_dir"

exit $?

IMPORTANT:  The above script overwrites without prompting, so you'll want to either run it in a terminal and add a prompt option to cp, or copy files individually and use SpaceFM Dialog to prompt for overwrite.  Socket commands may eventually include the ability to tap into spacefm's built-in copy/move/link as well.

3.was wondering today how cool it would be to have spacefm on my servers (headless) running as a deamon and auto mounting drives etc.

As anonymous_user said, this is more a job for devmon.  When devmon is used with udevil, no X or consolekit session is required for mounting.

4. Is it possible to use the context concept and extend it to launching/editing etc by context type? IE i have the F4 key assigned to the edit command. when the file is *.txt it would launch vim and if the file is *.mp3 it would launch audacity etc?

The script can examine the mime type of the file (use 'file' or another program to get the mime type) or examine the extension, and then take the appropriate action.  Much of the the file manager's context is available to the script via the exported variables.

btw if youd like i could create a screencast if spacefm 'pimping' it, let me know if you need such a thing

That would be great, thanks.  People like to preview software and especially with spacefm it would be nice to walk them through some of the less obvious abilities.  Now that you mention it I just watched this screencast which gives a nice overview, but does not go much into design mode and other areas.  And another one - I should put some of these on the screenshots page.

P.S any activity in the IRC channel? it seems like there is tumblweed passing there ;-)

It's usually a quiet channel but is useful.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-12-01 06:24:00)

#455 2012-12-01 06:22:26

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

Actually, you can just assign F5 to Edit|Copy To|Panel|Next (those menus are mostly for assigning keys).  If you just have two panels open that will do what you want.  But I'll still consider those socket commands as they would be generally useful.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-12-01 06:22:46)

#456 2012-12-04 02:35:33

zeltak

Hya Ignorantguru

i couldnt tell whats the correct place to upload this and discuss it so might as well put it here. attached in the link is the first 'alpha' version of the screencast

http://paste.xinu.at/v5t8H/

let me know what you think in general and i can adjust acoridingly smile

best

Z.

Last edited by zeltak (2012-12-04 02:40:28)

#457 2012-12-04 10:08:28

Lockheed

I think I found a memory-leak bug in SpaceM.
Details here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=154043

Last edited by Lockheed (2012-12-04 10:09:16)

#458 2012-12-10 20:19:34

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

Hya Ignorantguru

i couldnt tell whats the correct place to upload this and discuss it so might as well put it here. attached in the link is the first 'alpha' version of the screencast

http://paste.xinu.at/v5t8H/

let me know what you think in general and i can adjust acoridingly smile

best

Z.

Thanks - nice screencast.  As an introductory one I think you cover quite a bit of the visual options.  Other topics might include the task manager and some of the new queue capabilities, and a mini lesson on how to add a custom command to a menu, run it, adjust it, etc.  But those are just thoughts - pretty much whatever you want to do with it.  Let me know when its posted and I'll add a link somewhere.  I was thinking of creating a page on the wiki for these, or you can start one.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-12-10 20:20:28)

#459 2012-12-12 20:57:28

zeltak

Hi again

I have a weird issue that i want to raise here before i put it as a bug. it seems like the svg previews (thumbnails) have stopped working. i can preview png/jpeg etc but not svg. iy used to work fine up untill a few days ago. ive also increased the thumbnail size but it sisnt help

thx

Zeltak

#460 2012-12-16 19:13:48

3ner

I'm pretty new to this kind of filemanager, which is because I didn't like the others I tried on first use.
First of all, my first impression with SpaceFM is positive. Find as you type, drag&drop, etc. works smoothly. Menus/Configuration is very different to what i am used to, but it still works for me after half an hour of trying, even though it's not very intuitive (for me). But for what it can do, the config is not bad.
At the moment I want it mainly for browsing files, renaming some and copying selected folders to my mp3-player. SpaceFM does the job well, while looking as good as i expect from a GUI-filemanager (which is not that unimportant for me).

What i miss most is a good documentation like a man-page or anything else that lists all features in combination with default shortcuts.
One of the first thoughts of me was "well, there must be a keyboard shortcut to switch to the right/left panel; let me try alt+right..." and when I couldn't guess right, I wanted to look it up.
Well, that's what I miss as well: moving the focus left/right/up/down. I guess this could be done with sockets, but i don't want to look into that right now and I did a small workaround with moving the focus to specific panel-numbers.
More important to me than moving the focus is moving tabs to other panels. Again I am not sure if this is implemented or not, as I couln't find a solid documentation. I really want to move single tabs from one panel to another (preferredly with the mouse this time). Switching all tabs between two panels (like switching the complete panels) would be nice. Without these two features, I have the feeling this multi-pane FM is inferiour to having multiple single-pane FMs open with a good (tiling) window-manager.

#461 2012-12-16 21:02:09

IgnorantGuru
Website

@3ner:  Thanks for your feedback.  All key shortcuts in spacefm are linked to a menu item, and you can assign a custom key to almost any menu item.  The panel focus ones are In View|Go in the main menu bar, and other focus changes are in the Go submenu of the file list's right-click menu.  Basically by browsing through the menus you can see all the keys and set/change them.

SpaceFM does not support tearable tabs - maybe someday.  You could make a custom command that opens the current tab in another panel, etc., and there are some built-in open-in-panel options.

#462 2012-12-16 22:14:12

3ner

hm, maybe I'll look into making that command, that opens the current tab in another panel and then closing the old one, that should be sufficient. But that won't be soon.

As for moving the focus around: yes I noticed that afterwards. And i will mostly use only two panes so a shortcut for "cycling" is even better than what i wanted and it is still useful when using more than two.

As a side note: was there a reason you chose to split the panels like this
_|____
     |
and not like that
__|
    |__
    |          ? (i hope that awfull chars show what i mean)
I think i would prefer the later one, but I also think that it doesn't matter much.

#463 2012-12-21 14:12:52

0ddba11

IgnorantGuru are there any plans (or have I missed something obvious) to be able to mount zfs removable drives in SpaceFM? I've tried lots of methods but the device pane obviously only shows the actual drive partition not the zfs pool and file system so it can't be mounted directly. Having trouble getting udevil to play nice with zfs aswell (even if mount will happily mount the pool). If nothing else is there a way to run a specific command when clicking on a specfic device (the mount command/options setting will normally apply to all devices won't it)?

#464 2012-12-21 14:39:40

IgnorantGuru
Website

@0ddba11:  There is no explicit support for zfs in spacefm or udevil.  Fuse approach might be more compatible.  If you open a request on this and provide the files I need to see then having spacefm display such devices should be doable, and maybe eventually udevil could recognize them.  For starters I would want to see /proc/self/mountinfo and the commands you're using to mount and unmount.

You can certainly add commands to act on a device.  You can also set a context for the menu item.  And you can use the new event handlers to act automatically on device changes.

SpaceFM 0.8.4 is available - note that dbus is no longer required.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-12-21 14:45:06)

#465 2012-12-21 15:32:25

0ddba11

Thanks, speedy, helpful advice as always. I'll investigate further and get back to you.

#466 2012-12-28 05:51:47

ShadowKyogre
Website

Random question: How would I be able to do an auto rename that does a custom substitution for the rename?

Example files:
/<some sourceforge path mounted via sshfs>/lucifers-linux-any.db.tar.gz
/<some sourceforge path mounted via sshfs>/lucifers-linux-any.db.tar.gz.sig
/<some sourceforge path mounted via sshfs>/lucifers-linux-any.files.tar.gz
/<some sourceforge path mounted via sshfs>/lucifers-linux-any.files.tar.gz.sig

Example outputted files: (where the .tar.gz part of the filename is removed)
/<some sourceforge path mounted via sshfs>/lucifers-linux-any.db
/<some sourceforge path mounted via sshfs>/lucifers-linux-any.db.sig
/<some sourceforge path mounted via sshfs>/lucifers-linux-any.files
/<some sourceforge path mounted via sshfs>/lucifers-linux-any.files.sig

For every problem, there is a solution that is:
Clean
Simple and most of all...wrong!
Github page

#467 2012-12-28 12:14:59

IgnorantGuru
Website

ShadowKyogre wrote:

Random question: How would I be able to do an auto rename that does a custom substitution for the rename?

My sedname script handles this, but is cli.  You could make a custom command in spacefm that runs it with a user-input string (inline sed script).  There are also some rename plugins on the wiki.  And of course you could just run your favorite rename app from a spacefm command.

#468 2013-01-01 21:33:07

anonymous_user

I don't know if this is intended or a bug, but when in Detail view I can only select items if I click inside the Name column.

#469 2013-01-02 00:17:06

Rasi
Website

#!/bin/bash
MNTDIR=/home/carnager/Android
  if grep "${MNTDIR}" /proc/mounts; then
    sync
    spacefm -r --panel=2 ~
    sleep 2
    fusermount -u $MNTDIR
  else
  go-mtpfs $MNTDIR & 
  sleep 2
  spacefm --panel=2 $MNTDIR
  fi

i use this script to mount/unmount my tablet. it works fine, with one minor issue: On umount it does change directory to $HOME, as intended, but then still complains about the directory being in use. If i simply run the script a 2nd time, it will successfully umount the device.
If i switch the directory manually before running the script tho, it just works.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#470 2013-01-02 09:58:00

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

I don't know if this is intended or a bug, but when in Detail view I can only select items if I click inside the Name column.

Please add any input on this here - thanks.

#471 2013-01-02 09:59:56

IgnorantGuru
Website

Rasi wrote:
#!/bin/bash
MNTDIR=/home/carnager/Android
  if grep "${MNTDIR}" /proc/mounts; then
    sync
    spacefm -r --panel=2 ~
    sleep 2
    fusermount -u $MNTDIR
  else
  go-mtpfs $MNTDIR & 
  sleep 2
  spacefm --panel=2 $MNTDIR
  fi

i use this script to mount/unmount my tablet. it works fine, with one minor issue: On umount it does change directory to $HOME, as intended, but then still complains about the directory being in use. If i simply run the script a 2nd time, it will successfully umount the device.
If i switch the directory manually before running the script tho, it just works.

The script's working directory may be responsible.  At the top of your script add:

cd /

#472 2013-01-02 21:47:42

Rasi
Website

i already tried this and it does not help.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#473 2013-01-02 22:08:07

IgnorantGuru
Website

Rasi wrote:

i already tried this and it does not help.

Only other thing I can suggest is have a look (grep) through lsof's output to see what's using the mount point.  You might do this from within your script, etc.  Having the tab open in spacefm will generally not cause an unmount failure, except with some filesystems.  You also might try closing the tab rather than just changing its directory:

spacefm -s set --panel 2 current_tab close

#474 2013-01-03 13:35:37

nierro

Hi!
Really thanks for this great FM!
I'm having an issue (i guess...): i'm using xfwm4 as standalone wm (practically i only start from .xinitrc xfwm4 and xfsettingsd, plus other things i need, and spacefm --desktop).
It works great, but the option "show wm menu when desktop is right-clicked" isn't working. If i tick it, i won't have any right-click menu (neither the normal one, without wm menu/applications launchers)
Any hint? Is a known issue?
Thanks!
Tell me if you need some more info!

#475 2013-01-03 18:34:47

Rasi
Website

i dont get it...

COMMAND   PID     USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
bash    17056 carnager  cwd    DIR   0,35        0    1 /home/carnager/Android

so it seems the script itself is accessing the directory, but i am starting it from /

Last edited by Rasi (2013-01-03 18:35:23)

Douglas Adams

Board footer