You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-22 12:06:57

wavelander
Website

Google Summer of Code 2013

I know this is early and Google hasn't even announced that its holding GSoC next year .. but just wanted to put this out there.

I wanted to take part in this year's GSoC.
I have been using Arch for about 6 months. And it would be amazing if I could get selected under Arch Linux and do a major package development under GSoC too.

What are your thoughts ? Could someone direct me to anyone who would be willing to mentor a person who is just starting package development or something related. ?

Thanks.

#2 2012-12-23 08:28:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Google Summer of Code 2013

The only dev opportunities would probably be pacman and netcfg. Both arch specific or practically so. Ask on arch-projects ml rather than here.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2012-12-23 13:49:16

Lone_Wolf

Myabe netcfg can be made less arch specific ?

It works with sysvinit/initscripts and systemd, maybe it can also work with openrc & upstart.
I'm 90% sure Gentoo still uses net-tools with openrc, they might welcome a network setup tool that uses ip * .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2012-12-23 23:18:20

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Myabe netcfg can be made less arch specific ?

It works with sysvinit/initscripts and systemd, maybe it can also work with openrc & upstart.
I'm 90% sure Gentoo still uses net-tools with openrc, they might welcome a network setup tool that uses ip * .

I think the arch-specificity is not by design, just by actual use. pacman, for example, is NOT arch-specific by design, but who else uses it (not counting the derivative 'distros').

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2012-12-24 01:27:58

Jristz

ngoonee wrote:

I think the arch-specificity is not by design, just by actual use. pacman, for example, is NOT arch-specific by design, but who else uses it (not counting the derivative 'distros').

Chakra, Frugalware, but the first maybe the next year change to a diferent one...but for now is pacman, and the frugalware is a fork from pacman

Well, I suppose that this is somekind of signature, no?

#6 2012-12-24 02:21:24

Allan
Pacman
Website

So....  no-one...

Anyway, packaging anything is not allowed in GSoC, so you are limited to software development.   Not that we have ever managed putting in an application to be a host organization, yet alone succeeded at being selected.

#7 2012-12-26 18:22:06

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Even if it's not directly Arch-related, many potential GSoC projects would help out the Arch community.

Maybe you could add a search function to your favourite terminal emulator. None of the lightweight terminals I've seen have this feature. Or try expanding one of those "download youtube videos from the command line" programs so that it supports other sites. There's also GPCGPU. Nvidia's CUDA seems to be dominating this right now but maybe you could contribute code to Clover or another open source effort.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#8 2012-12-27 00:31:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You'd be better off selecting a project you care about. At the minimum it must be something you use. For example, I may be interested in pidgin because I use it, but I would not be interested in any CUDA efforts because I don't use them.

Scratch your own itch.

#9 2013-03-12 18:59:32

wavelander
Website

To get this post back on the road; I looked at last years GSOC project applications. I narrowed out a few other linux distributions. What about their ideas inspiring a few of our own ?

Check these out.

Fedora: https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org … 012/fedora
openSuse: https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org … 2/opensuse
FreeBSD: https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org … 12/freebsd
Gentoo: https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org … 012/gentoo
Debian: https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org … 012/debian

Quite a few ideas here are about developing popularity ratings of packages, improving and adding review pages of packages,  Karma plugins like StackOverflow votes and Quora voteups and other such trivial applications. There was one on bringing the cloud to fedora.
The wikimedia organisation also has people developing extensions so maybe arch can do that.

Anyways I was hoping I could convince the Arch community to enter as a GSOC organisation. Any possible mentors ? I was hoping for some serious development. Okay maybe not package development but still.

Any ideas for some of your own packages ? Somethings you guys want added or modified ?

Board footer