You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-10 22:04:20

Moo-Crumpus

kernel panic, rescue, need some help

I installed arch with grub-loader. Having compiled a new kernel, having it restarted,  I was surprised to see lilo starting up. I never installed lilo, and nothing ever gave me an hint about an lilo installation while doing kernel compiling. Unfortunely, after I compiled the kernel, I tuned grub - not lilo. As the kernel fails with kernel-panic, I have to boot arch installation iso, run arch-scsi, mount some discs, have chroot and source=/etc/profile etc. I hope I will be able to restore grub ore be able to install a standard scsi kernel and have lilo running at this stage. More unfortunately, my keyboard is german and arch-setup cdrom talks us / uk with my keyboard. It is a hard job to enter /dev/scsi/host1/target0/lun0/  ore grub-install /dev/discs/disc/disc1/disc if you have the -_=/yz mixed up.

:cry:

Therefore, I could need some help:

· If you know how to chage keymap after booting the arch linux iso cd, please tell me, and please be so kind to tell me now.
· If you are grub-restauration-king, please gimme some hints how to do that in rescue mounted scsi devices, where scsi id 0 is the booting disc and grub should take place in the mba.
· If you have an idea why 'make dep bzImage modules modules_install install' overwrote grub with lilo, be invited to tell me, 2.

Btw: I start to like arch mo'n'mo.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2004-01-11 09:18:34

peart

Re: kernel panic, rescue, need some help

Hi Pink Chick,

First of all, I've never used grub, so I'll let someone else field questions about that.

Second, the kernel recompile (specifically, make install) calls the file /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/install.sh.  The last line in that file is a call to lilo.  So, every time you recompile your kernel, you run lilo  :shock: The fastest (perhaps not the best) workaround is to comment out the line

if [ -x /sbin/lilo ]; then /sbin/lilo; else /etc/lilo/install; fi

from that file.  But don't forget to run grub manually after the recompile.  Also, the people who use grub and recompile their kernels often probably have a much better suggestion than mine.  But at least mine works  big_smile

I hear you when you talk about keyboard problems at install time.  I have an azerty keyboard, and want to fling it out the window when I do an installation.  This has been mentionned to the developpers many times, so I hope it'll be fixed in 0.6.

Cheers.

#3 2004-01-11 11:02:07

Mork II

If you can boot från cd you can mount the partition that contains your / . If you have a separate /boot you must mount that as well. Then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst as needed and run grub-install /dev/discs/disc0 (or if that doesn't work grub-install /dev/hda).

The easiest way to make sure lilo is not run after compiling a new kernel is uninstalling it (pacman -R lilo).

Please file a bug report about the keymaps (feature request, installation). Posts in the forum gets you advise, bug reports get you solutions wink

//Edited because I was wrong about the path to install to mbr//

#4 2004-01-11 11:03:41

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

azerty, eh?  Doubt it will be added to the default install cd anytime soon, but I could probably add it to my -jc cd for next release.  I've already added dvorak, what's one more keymap?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-01-11 11:12:58

Mork II

While 0.6 might not get support for alternate keymaps in the installer (since it is so close to getting released), I think it should be added before 1.0. Azerty for instance has milions of users.

#6 2004-01-11 11:37:16

Moo-Crumpus

For whatever reason I couldn't reinstall grub when booted from rescue disc. It didn't accepted the device path, even with full qualified scsi string (u know the host/target0/lun0-stuff). My decision was, as my broken system was just two hours old, to better reinstall inspite of loosing more and more time with rescue-grubbing. Here I am again, as far as I was yesterday, back on grub and arch.

I will consider to remove the lilo-lines from the script, and have a look on how to update grub settings after adding new kernels. Afaik it should not be necessary. As a result from my yesterday desaster I copied vmlinuz to vmlinuz.old and added some new lines to menu.lst of grub. If a new baken kernel fails again, I could fall back to this one. But - remember it is just a copy of a working kernel - booting this kernel leads to kernel panic trying to mount the root partition. I don't really know the reason. This was my debian way of doing it. But debian used an "update-grub" script that added new lines to menu.lst, and maybe did something magic, too?

Frumpus addict

#7 2004-01-11 11:53:35

Moo-Crumpus

title Arch Linux [/boot/vmlinuz.old]
root    (hd4,0)
kernel    (hd0,0)/vmlinuz.old root)/dev/discs/disc4/part1 ro

Stupid qwertz - qwerty mixup. The failure in grub booting was

root)/dev

instead of

root=/dev

Frumpus addict

#8 2004-01-11 22:08:37

andy

About grub : I don't know debian, but you don't need to do a lot of magic when dealing with grub. You simly add lines/entries to menu.lst. No need to reinstall anything. Grub will find this file on the hard drive (well, provided it has been installed properly).
To get used to grub, do the following : In a running system start grub. You will get a shell similar to what you get once you interrupt the boot menu. Now try the folloing things :
geometry
kernel (hd0<TAB>    (i.e. hit the tab-key)
kernel (hd0,0)/<TAB>
Just make sure that you don't write anything. Now you should find out what grub sees and finds.

About kernel compilation : I never run "make install", only the steps before. I simply copy the kernel to where I want it to be.

And the keymap that was the original issue is not  azerty but qwertz ;-)

Board footer