You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-25 06:33:53

pariahdog

[solved] missing title bars on all windows with icewm

Last time the editor timed out on me. So I'll try to make this as short as possible. Most of the title bar is missing on every window in icewm. The minimize, maximize, close buttons on the top-right and the menu button on the top-left are both visible and work fine. The rectangle between them is the same color as the background however (black). There is just a thin line at the top of the empty rectangle. So the windows cannot be dragged. I followed along with the beginners guide until the desktop environment installation. Then I installed icewm, idesk, lxpanel, lxterminal, and nvidia. In the icewm preference file the only change I made was to disable the bottom panel (task bar). It's a fresh install on a newly formatted ext3 partition. The video card is a Nvidia GTX280. I have not installed compiz or xfce.

Last edited by pariahdog (2012-12-25 15:00:23)

#2 2012-12-25 07:54:01

Mektub

Re: [solved] missing title bars on all windows with icewm

pariahdog wrote:

Last time the editor timed out on me. So I'll try to make this as short as possible. Most of the title bar is missing on every window in icewm. The minimize, maximize, close buttons on the top-right and the menu button on the top-left are both visible and work fine. The rectangle between them is the same color as the background however (black). There is just a thin line at the top of the empty rectangle. So the windows cannot be dragged. I followed along with the beginners guide until the desktop environment installation. Then I installed icewm, idesk, lxpanel, lxterminal, and nvidia. In the icewm preference file the only change I made was to disable the bottom panel (task bar). It's a fresh install on a newly formatted ext3 partition. The video card is a Nvidia GTX280. I have not installed compiz or xfce.

Hi, pariahdog,

I also use icewm and don't remember having such problem.

Try to change the theme.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2012-12-25 15:16:06

pariahdog

Although it took me some time to figure out how to change the theme (through the right click menu; I still haven't figured out how to use config files to do it manually), your suggestion worked. The theme icedesert and many others seem to have the missing title bar problem. I'm guessing something like 20% of the themes in my theme directory have this problem.  In some cases only part of the title bar is transparent and the window cannot be dragged from the transparent part.

Isn't 'icedesert' the default theme for icewm? If so it seems strange that neither this problem nor the solution is posted anywhere on the net. Until now. Anyway, thank you, Mektub. I had this same problem the last time I tried to install arch linux and it had me completely stumped. This problem had been driving me crazy for a while. I'm glad I was finally able register for this forum and get it solved. I'm adding "change theme" as part of my icewm install process now.

#4 2013-02-05 08:29:15

sundaero

Had the same problem also. Managed to resolve using the specified method and still stick to the default icedesert theme.

In case anyone else is wondering about the source of the problem, I found following:
Starting from the Xorg version approximately 1.10.4 or 1.11.1 there _might_ be a problem, that the theme titlebar pixmaps (the ones with names titleXX.xpm in the theme folder) which are 1-pixel thick are not handled correctly.

Quick solution for this problem: scale all titlebar pixmaps to be at least 2 pixels wide, or just delete them from the theme. In last case there will be some defaults colours, which you will have to adjust to fit your theme though.

It seems that this problem occurs only on computers with nvidia cards with proprietary drivers. At least I goot it only there. I have a bunch of computers with Arch+Icewm installed on them, but everything is OK there since they have Intel/AMD graphic cards.
I have also another computer with nvidia card, but IceWM works fine there, because there is Gentoo installed on that computer and there is an older version of the Xorg is used.

Hope this will help anyone who is using IceWM and faced this problem with the default Icedesert or similar themes.

#5 2013-09-07 20:42:01

richardbrucebaxter

I had the same problem on EL6.4 using the default icewm theme (running ATI proprietary drivers 13.1/13.4). It didn't occur on EL6.3. Thanks for the info on both the workaround (change icewm theme) and the solution (rescale all 1 pixel wide icewm theme images) - they both work.

Board footer