You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-26 11:57:37

ey3blast

[SOLVED] About the registration page...

okay to make this shorter ive registered here using the answer of this guy

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 504AAO187t

im so interested in arch linux that's why searched for the answer and i found one. lol.

a to that captcha.

im running backbox linux right now and my system generated this:

7494e13078df6f09d5aac285cedc26727b40af6db8e43f8a3b23710e2a1ef268

Questions:

do we really need to run Arch Linux in order to get the right answer?

Answer:

i get it now it shows the week number and passes it into sha256sum.

does that captcha really prevent bot from registering?, if the answer to that captcha spreads all over the net, then that would render the captcha useless.

-----------------------------

Suggestion:

Why don't Arch use a dynamic captcha. what i mean is that everytime the user proceeds with the wrong answer the captcha change into another problem just like those. and then Arch has a database for that captcha alone a database that stores "Problem and Answers" to those captcha showed in the registration page.

sorry for the bad english as english is not my native language. and sorry if i didn't introduce myself.

-----
     ey3blast

Last edited by ey3blast (2012-12-26 13:58:31)

#2 2012-12-26 12:49:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] About the registration page...

If you successfully registered with the answer you linked to, consider yourself ridiculously lucky as it should not have worked.

Do we need arch to get the right answer?  Well, you searched and found one answer, search for any one of the dozens of threads discussing this captcha and you'll get that answer as well.  So I won't take the fun out of it for you.

Does the captcha prevent bots: same as above answer.

Why don't we use a dynamic captcha: we do.  It changes every week.  Hence the "ridiculously lucky" part of the first answer referring to the unlikely coincidence that you found the answer from precisely one year ago (same week number) so it worked.

Overall, *ALL* of these answers would be easily found by searching THESE FORUMS right here rather than getting bad information from people on other forums.  Please search in the future.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-12-26 12:49:47)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-12-26 13:21:16

ey3blast

well I've read your post on this thread:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153660

and thank you for the quick response better than RTFM. linux community is really great and im learning alot hope to learn more from the community so i could get the chance to contribute.

you're actually right about that post there might be something wrong with the system clock. so i tried to echo date -u +%W$(uname) and it shows this weird output "date -u +%WLinux" i don't know what's wrong with this cause my system clock is running well i don't know why it doesn't show the week number though. anyone help me fix this thing?

--- Fixed the problem ---

well here's what i did, at first i run the command but i got the wrong answer because my system clock was turned off at that time then it shows nothing then i tried to echo the command and there i got the wrong answer. on the second time i run the command with the system clock turned on i still echoed it that's why i still got the wrong answer it shows this weird output when echoed "date -u +%WLinux". what i did right now is that i remove the echo and there i get the correct answer for the captcha.. hope this thread will help newbies like me in the future.

Thank you for the help Mr. Trilby. I appreciate it.

---
   ey3blast

Last edited by ey3blast (2012-12-26 13:44:08)

#4 2012-12-26 13:50:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Echo does what it is told: it echoes.  It does not execute commands passed to it.  That's why there is no "echo" in the command you are given in the captcha.  I'm not sure where you got the idea to prepend and "echo".

If your question has been answered/solved you can mark the thread as solved by editting your initial post where you can edit the title.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2012-12-26 13:58:09

ey3blast

well i get the idea of using "echo" because at the first time i run the command into terminal it returns nothing and thats because my system clock was turned off.

okay will do mark this thread as solved. and again thanks for the help looking forward on learning more from this community.

---
   ey3blast

#6 2013-04-16 07:18:27

pst33l

i also figured this out you type

date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'

in your terminal you have to have a linux machine or a virtual box from your windows machine running linux

and you will get for example 7494e13078df6f09d5aac285cedc26727b40af6db8e43f8a3b23710e2a1ef268

you type that in the registration page and done

smile

Board footer