You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-30 15:42:41

desertViking

Upgrade 0.7 to Current and KDE question

Hi,

I've been working with Arch for a couple of days.  I'm sure that these are newbie questions and appologize in advance if there are wiki or other articles that will explain my questions.  I've been using links to access the interenet (does anyone even know about that program :0) and I'm not real proficient.

I downloaded 0.7, configured my system to boot from an alternate partition on my hard drive.  Got my wireless up and running and from there thought it would be a good idea to upgrade to current before investing too much time.

I did this (there was an error found on grub ? which I forced) and the upgrade went ok.

Configuring the system, I'm still a bit lost.  I come from a Slackware background.

First, after upgrading, the system would hang as it started the hot-plug daemon.  I booted to single user mode, and disabled this in the rc.conf file.  That's not a good solution, though, because I'm sure that I'm going to be missing features, aren't I?  How do I diagnose the problem and are there any documents about this issue?

Second, I really enjoy KDE as my desktop manager.  I used pacman to install KDE.  I can start the interface, but there are no default applications in the KDE menu, konquerer will not allow me to access anything including settings and, I can not run the configuration manager.  Is there a configuration tool that I should have run to get things started?

Thanks in advance for helping to boot strap a new guy. It seems to be a great distribution.  If you could give me a gentle nudge in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Kind regards.

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#2 2005-10-30 16:29:59

desertViking

Re: Upgrade 0.7 to Current and KDE question

Hi,

I deleted everything in the home directory relating to KDE and restarted, and the KDE question is sort of resolved.

I'm going to try and figure out why my sound system isn't working.  Is this perhaps because I disabled the hot-plug daemon?

Thx and regards.

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#3 2005-10-30 17:51:01

IceRAM
Website

1. run "hwd" to see what modules you need to have loaded - you might not require hotplug running all the time so, you could load those modules using /etc/rc.conf
2. if you're using udev, you need to add yourself to the audio group

#4 2005-10-30 19:10:50

desertViking

Hi,

Thx for replying!

I found that the sound modules were not being probed, so added those specific drivers to the rc.conf file.  Sound works for root.

I've changed the group access to the /dev/snd and /dev/sound to include the audio group.  I've added myself to the audio group.  But, when I boot, I get a failure when the system tries to initialize sound. 

Things that make you go "Hmmm"  :->

Thx in advance for any additional advice you could offer.

Kind regards!

#5 2005-10-30 19:37:48

IceRAM
Website

#6 2005-10-30 19:41:49

desertViking

Shutdown and restarted, and users added to audio have sound.

Interesting because I could have sworn that I had restarted udev...  Well, I've got some other things to work on in awhile.  Cups doesn't seem to have started...

On to the windmill.

Thx in advance for the help!

Board footer