You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-08 18:21:48

es92

[SOLVED] Thunar Trash Stopped Working - always asks to permanently del

For a long time Thunar trash worked. Now, it always asks if I want to permanently delete.

thunar permanently delete

Does anyone know how to fix this? I've already tried clearing the .config files, the .cache files, and the trash and its metadata. Thanks.

SOLVED: used 'dbus-launch thunar' instead of thunar.

Last edited by es92 (2014-03-02 08:01:53)

#2 2012-12-08 20:39:40

projectdelphai

Re: [SOLVED] Thunar Trash Stopped Working - always asks to permanently del

I think its a bug because I started getting this message too and couldn't change it.

This is the workaround I found.

1. Menu>Edit>Configure custom actions. . .
2. Create new action
3. Name=NP Delete (Non-Permanent Delete), command=mv %f /home/USERNAME/.local/share/Trash/files
4. Appearance Conditions Tab - File Pattern=*, Check every box

Then if you want to delete a file, just use the NP-delete option from the right click menu rather than the default delete until it gets fixed.

#3 2012-12-09 15:49:21

Gumper

When I right click on a file to delete it I now have two options. One to move the file to trash and one to delete it.

If I select the 'delete' option then I have the window that you show in your posting.

Don't you have the 'move to trash' option?

Ready yourselves, ready yourselves
Let us shine the light of Jesus in the darkest night
Ready yourselves, ready yourselves
May the powers of darkness tremble as our praises rise .... Casting Crowns-Until The Whole World Hears.

#4 2012-12-09 17:39:14

es92

Nope. Unfortunately for me, the only option is to permanently delete. The NP Delete workaround worked of course. If only there was a way to add keyboard shortcuts to custom actions, then I'd be set!

#5 2012-12-10 19:51:20

TeoBigusDickus

Bug confirmed here as well.
Pcmanfm works though.
A miscommunication between Thunar and gvfsd?

EDIT: gvfs-trash works OK, ie. if I give

gvfs-trash /path/file

the file goes to ~/local/share/Trash/files as it should be.

Another thing I've just noticed, the video thumbnailer in both thunar and pcmanfm is broken, although all other thumbnails (pics, pdfs, etc.) work fine.

Last edited by TeoBigusDickus (2012-12-10 22:06:38)

Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux!

#6 2012-12-11 00:38:47

NeoZelux

I concur with the same problem, my workaround for now is using thunar-1.4

#7 2012-12-12 03:39:10

drcouzelis
Website

Ok, I think I have a fix. Deleting my Thunar config files helped. But here's the tricky part:

You know the "~/.config/Thunar" directory? That apparently is not the Thunar config file location. tongue

Instead, I removed "~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/thunar*". After restarting Thunar, my Trash can worked correctly. smile

#8 2012-12-12 07:00:20

TeoBigusDickus

drcouzelis wrote:

Ok, I think I have a fix. Deleting my Thunar config files helped. But here's the tricky part:

You know the "~/.config/Thunar" directory? That apparently is not the Thunar config file location. tongue

Instead, I removed "~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/thunar*". After restarting Thunar, my Trash can worked correctly. smile

Unfortunately, it doesn't work here. sad

EDIT: I thought today's gvfs update might fix things but no...

Last edited by TeoBigusDickus (2012-12-12 12:05:42)

Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux!

#9 2012-12-12 21:12:01

TeoBigusDickus

Having problems with video thumbnails in pcmanfm and thunar, I installed ffmpegthumbnailer.
I also deleted my ~/.thumbnails folder.
I started pcmanfm and sure enough video thumbnails were back. I also started thunar to see if they were back there as well: they weren't, but the Trash folder was back on the side panel.
Restarted my pc and Trash was gone from thunar again.
Also, thunar is now able to display video thumbnails that have been generated by pcmanfm, but can't create them by itself (I have all gstreamer packages installed).
Chanting "The power of Christ compels you!" to the pc hasn't helped...

Last edited by TeoBigusDickus (2012-12-12 21:29:22)

#10 2012-12-27 02:01:08

drcouzelis
Website

TeoBigusDickus wrote:
drcouzelis wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't work here. sad

EDIT: I thought today's gvfs update might fix things but no...

So, remember how I told you that the trash in Thunar now works? Well, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't logging out and logging it fixes it. I haven't noticed if it stops working or if it just fails when logging in sometimes.

#11 2012-12-27 08:31:23

TeoBigusDickus

Neither Trash nor video thumbnails work in Thunar here.
I've switched to Pcmanfm since my last post and everything is fine.

#12 2012-12-27 17:16:50

TeoBigusDickus

Just updated to 1.6.2
Trash works only after the 2nd time you open thunar after boot.
Video thumbnails still don't work even after installing gst-libav.

#13 2012-12-27 20:57:16

dodo3773

Go into ~/.local/share/Trash and change the permissions to Read / Write. Problem solved for me.

#14 2012-12-27 21:01:50

TeoBigusDickus

Thanks for the suggestion, but there are no permission problems.
If there were, thunar (and pcmanfm) wouldn't work at all anyway.

EDIT:

[[Time:23:00 Location:~/.local/share]]
$ ls -al
total 80
drwx------ 10 teo users  4096 Dec 27 22:51 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 teo users  4096 Nov  9 23:31 ..
drwx------  2 teo users  4096 Dec 26 11:57 applications
drwx------  3 teo users  4096 Nov 10 03:03 gegl-0.2
drwx------  2 teo users  4096 Dec 27 22:50 gvfs-metadata
drwx------  4 teo users  4096 Dec 26 11:57 mime
-rw-------  1 teo users 39714 Dec 27 22:51 recently-used.xbel
drwx------  2 teo users  4096 Nov 10 02:33 ristretto
drwx------  5 teo users  4096 Dec 10 00:27 Trash
drwx------  2 teo users  4096 Nov 10 02:35 vlc
drwx------  4 teo users  4096 Dec  2 21:02 webkit
[[Time:23:00 Location:~/.local/share]]
$

Last edited by TeoBigusDickus (2012-12-27 21:03:03)

#15 2012-12-27 21:09:37

dodo3773

TeoBigusDickus wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but there are no permission problems.
If there were, thunar (and pcmanfm) wouldn't work at all anyway.

No I meant inside the Trash folder sorry.

ls -l ~/.local/share/Trash
total 68
drwx------ 3 dodo3773 users 12288 Dec 27 12:57 expunged/
drwxrwx--- 2 dodo3773 users 20480 Dec 27 12:57 files/
drwxrwx--- 2 dodo3773 users 32768 Dec 27 12:57 info/

This may be a hack / workaround but it did work for me so whatever. Also, if there were permission issues on a directory that would not keep thunar from working. Not sure what you meant by that.

Last edited by dodo3773 (2012-12-27 21:10:04)

#16 2012-12-27 21:15:57

TeoBigusDickus

dodo3773 wrote:

This may be a hack / workaround but it did work for me so whatever. Also, if there were permission issues on a directory that would not keep thunar from working. Not sure what you meant by that.

I meant that Trash wouldn't work in pcmanfm as well (or after a while in Thunar).

[[Time:23:10 Location:~/.local/share/Trash]]
$ ls -l
total 20
drwx------  5 teo users 4096 Dec 10 00:27 .
drwx------ 10 teo users 4096 Dec 27 22:51 ..
drwx------  2 teo users 4096 Dec 27 22:28 expunged
drwx------  2 teo users 4096 Dec 27 22:28 files
drwx------  2 teo users 4096 Dec 27 22:28 info
[[Time:23:10 Location:~/.local/share/Trash]]
$

Still no game...

#17 2012-12-27 21:22:09

dodo3773

TeoBigusDickus wrote:

Still no game...

Let me test with a quick reboot and see if mine still works. Just a sec.

#18 2012-12-27 21:32:41

dodo3773

Okay no your right. Not working after reboot. Here is what did work for me though: In my autostart thunar was set to start as "thunar --daemon". I removed that and start thunar normally and everything is working fine. Perhaps that is why thunar had to be killed and started a second time.  I think it may have something to do with thunar starting before dbus is ready for it or something. Try removing any thunar autostart stuff and test.

#19 2012-12-27 21:41:35

TeoBigusDickus

I've tried with the line commented out right from the beginning (when the problem appeared).
No difference... (it's still commented out)

#20 2012-12-27 21:51:14

dodo3773

TeoBigusDickus wrote:

I've tried with the line commented out right from the beginning (when the problem appeared).

Which window manager / desktop environment are you using (for me it was simple commenting of a line in my openbox startup file (is that what you mean? are you an openbox user too))? I ask because maybe there is a .desktop file somewhere? Also, are you using the systemd service file that came with it (is it enabled)?

Edit: Nevermind. The service file must be enabled probably since it is already in  /usr/share/dbus-1/services/

Edit2: What happens if after you restart (while any other thunar --daemon stuff is removed) you wait about 30 seconds and then open thunar the first time? Does it work then?

Last edited by dodo3773 (2012-12-27 21:57:40)

#21 2012-12-27 21:59:19

TeoBigusDickus

dodo3773 wrote:
TeoBigusDickus wrote:

Which window manager / desktop environment are you using (for me it was simple commenting of a line in my openbox startup file (is that what you mean? are you an openbox user too))? I ask because maybe there is a .desktop file somewhere? Also, are you using the systemd service file that came with it (is it enabled)?

Openbox rules mate (at least on my 19'' 4:3 monitor - I'll switch to dwm when I buy a new, 16:9 one).
I just commented out the

thunar --daemon &

line in my autostart file.

These

[[Time:23:54 Location:~/Desktop]]
$ find ~/ -iname "*.desktop" 2>/dev/null
/home/teo/BUILDS/teamviewer/src/teamviewer.desktop
/home/teo/BUILDS/teamviewer/teamviewer.desktop
/home/teo/BUILDS/teamviewer/pkg/usr/share/applications/teamviewer.desktop
/home/teo/.local/share/applications/userapp-feh-C6AJNW.desktop
/home/teo/.local/share/applications/userapp-evince-8G64OW.desktop
/home/teo/.local/share/applications/userapp-Thunderbird-PEVJPW.desktop
/home/teo/.local/share/applications/userapp-fontforge-GPQ2NW.desktop
/home/teo/.local/share/applications/userapp-blender-4E7WNW.desktop
/home/teo/.local/share/applications/userapp-blender-DVY6NW.desktop
/home/teo/dwm/src/dwm.desktop
/home/teo/dwm/pkg/usr/share/xsessions/dwm.desktop
/home/teo/dwm/dwm.desktop
[[Time:23:55 Location:~/Desktop]]
$ 

are all the .desktop files in my home folder.
I trully hope to have this problem solved; pcmanfm feels so alien...

#22 2012-12-27 22:07:36

TeoBigusDickus

I saw your edit; restarted my pc, waited for a couple of minutes and started thunar: no trash. Closed it, started it again, trash was there.

#23 2012-12-27 22:24:01

dodo3773

I edited my last post a second time. After rebooting the system and not starting thunar as --daemon (think this is handled by systemd dbus stuff now) wait about 30 seconds or a minute and then open thunar for the first time. Does it work correctly then? Also, I use xfce4-panel on my setup so not sure if that works some magic before hand or not (when I run thunar --daemon after this it says:   "Thunar: D-BUS name org.xfce.Thunar already registered." ). That is where I am getting this from (and pacman -Ql thunar of course). Either way it is working for me now.

Edit: I type too slow tongue. Still this whole thing is curious. Well opening it twice is a work around for now I guess. I think maybe my trash plugin for xfce4-panel is starting the thunar dbus stuff for me and that is why I don't have to start it twice (just a guess).

Last edited by dodo3773 (2012-12-27 22:25:52)

#24 2012-12-27 22:30:47

TeoBigusDickus

dodo3773 wrote:

I edited my last post a second time. After rebooting the system and not starting thunar as --daemon (think this is handled by systemd dbus stuff now) wait about 30 seconds or a minute and then open thunar for the first time. Does it work correctly then? Also, I use xfce4-panel on my setup so not sure if that works some magic before hand or not (when I run thunar --daemon after this it says:   "Thunar: D-BUS name org.xfce.Thunar already registered." ). That is where I am getting this from (and pacman -Ql thunar of course). Either way it is working for me now.

Edit: I type too slow tongue. Still this whole thing is curious. Well opening it twice is a work around for now I guess. I think maybe my trash plugin for xfce4-panel is starting the thunar dbus stuff for me and that is why I don't have to start it twice (just a guess).

Installed xfce4-panel, still the same thing.
Thanks for the help man anyway; pcmanfm it is for the moment.

#25 2012-12-27 22:46:21

dodo3773

TeoBigusDickus wrote:
dodo3773 wrote:

Installed xfce4-panel, still the same thing.
Thanks for the help man anyway; pcmanfm it is for the moment.

I rebooted again and mine is still working. Did you add the trash plugin to xfce4-panel? I have a feeling this has something to do with dbus activation. Hmm, to test what happens if after a reboot you do something like "dbus-launch thunar". Does dbus still even work that way? Just a shot in the dark. I will remove xfce4-panel and reboot and see if it makes a difference.

Board footer