You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-06 05:45:32

chane

Lost Network with upgrade to Kernel 2.4.24-1

Finally figured out that a new version of the /etc/modules.conf file was loaded with the latest kernel upgrade.  Is there a reason to not put this file in the pacman.conf as a NoUpgrade file?

Just curious

Chris....

#2 2004-01-10 19:12:15

sarah31
Website

Re: Lost Network with upgrade to Kernel 2.4.24-1

well other than it is not the recommended manner for loading modules in arch. likely the fact that most of the developers use rc.conf to load their modules has cause the absence of modules.conf in pacman.conf. that being said it is easy to add modules.conf to the list of NoUpgrade.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-01-11 03:27:05

chane

Thanks for the info.  Actually, I am loading most everything from the rc.conf file.  I put an alias to load my network card in the modules.conf since that's what the user docs said to do (section 3.1.6).  After I ran into this issue I did add it to the pacman.conf as a NoUpgrade, just thought I'd ask in case something was happening that should be addressed....

Should I put the network card alias in rc.conf?  I'm fairly new to Linux configuration and just trying to figure things out....

Thanks again,
Chris....

#4 2004-01-11 05:01:32

sarah31
Website

well it is really up to you. first i would file a bug about the documentation as it should be consistent mentioning either rc.conf use or modules.conf use, imo.

if you want to add your network card to the MODULES=() array all you have to add is the name of the module (ie if your module is via-rhine just put via-rhine in the list of modules)

you could also file a bug about putting modules.conf in the NoUpgrade list. it only makes sense to have it there as a default .... even if it is not the suggested arch way.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer