You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-30 22:16:39

Alastor

Arch Linux & Samsung NP535U3C

HI ! Good Morning (or evening, depends from you Time Zone XD) to all !

My name is Dario and I'm writing from Milan.
I've installed Arch Linux on a samsung np535u3c laptop (AMD A6-4455 APU) and I'm experiencing some weird issues. I'm currently on linux 3.7.1-ck compiled from aur with piledriver optimization and BFQ enabled. I'm using vi0l0's catalyst-total from the aur.

The first strange things is that GNOME 3.6.2 doesn't recognize when I plug the charger in. The battery charge, but for GNOME is like I'm running on battery. To let Gnome recognize the charger I should reboot the laptop. Same thing if I unplug the charger I have to reboot again to let Gnome recognize the fact that I' running on battery.
And the very weirdy thing is that : if I plug the charger every start to lag and the overral system is slow, if I unplug the charger everything is smoothy.
I don't know if it's fault of the kernel or of Gnome, how I can investigate for this issue ?

The second very weird things is that when I plug the charger, the fan start to run at max speed, even if the laptop is in idle. Then after a while the fan run at minum speed, but when I unplug the charger the fan stop to run O_O

The third and last strange thing is that I'm unable to change the backlight trought gnome backlight panel. I could only turn on or turn of the backlight trought the hotkeys but I can't change it to a X value for example. According to the wiki I've also added acpi_osi=Linux , acpi_backlight=vendor switch to grub but nothing is changed.

Thanks in advice for the replyes and sorry for my poor English.

#2 2012-12-30 23:21:23

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Arch Linux & Samsung NP535U3C

Have you a 'file' called /sys/class/power_supply/AC/online  ??
When you attach the charger, does that file contain '1' , and when disconnected, is it a '0' ?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-12-30 23:28:15

Alastor

ewaller wrote:

Have you a 'file' called /sys/class/power_supply/AC/online  ??
When you attach the charger, does that file contain '1' , and when disconnected, is it a '0' ?

Thank you for the reply !

However, just checked and I don't have this file, instead of this under my /sys/class/power_supply I have two folder : ADP1 and BAT1. Doing cat cat /sys/class/power_supply/ADP1/online it recognize the charger, because when I'm connected to AC the value is 1, when I'm disconnected is 0 ! Now I think that the problem should be the gnome applet :\

Last edited by Alastor (2012-12-30 23:33:19)

#4 2012-12-30 23:47:36

ewaller
Administrator

Okay, the kernel sees the supply; that is all good.  I am not a Gnome user.  Have you tried a different environment than Gnome to try to isolate the problem?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2012-12-31 08:10:55

Alastor

Well, I've tried KDE and KDM now but the problem is still here, the charger isn't recognized by the DE T__T

Last edited by Alastor (2012-12-31 08:51:25)

#6 2012-12-31 19:22:22

Alastor

Ok, some news. I've reinstalled everythin and now I'm on official 12.9 driver from community repos and I'm able to change the brightness with gnome control panel slider but I can't change it trought the hotkeys. Any ideas ?

#7 2013-01-02 10:35:29

Alastor

Ok, the backlight issue was a bug of AMD drivers and I've reported it to AMD, the fan issue disappeared after BIOS upgrading, but the AC issue is still here. I've isolated the problem and it's related to upower, bacause when I done upower --monitor-detail > upower.log.txt I don't see any battery status change if I plug or unplug the chord on the log.. I've also installed acpi and acpid. Is this a bug of upower with my laptop and I should report it or I'm missing something ?

#8 2013-03-09 14:04:07

fivedigits

I have the same laptop, but for some reason I only have the same issue with the fan.
I've looked for some way to upgrade the bios, but wasn't that succesful thus far.
How did you do it? That whooshing while on AC is getting on my nerves.

#9 2013-03-10 08:58:27

Alastor

Sorry fore late reply.. I had problems with password... However.. For the fan you should install samsung-tools from the AUR, and next you have to compile the samsung laptop module from here : https://github.com/iksaif/samsung-laptop-dkms... Just clone the repo, thne make and sudo make install. Then you will be able to use fn+fan key and adjust the fan speeding level.

I have some question for you... Do you use the opensource drivers or the Catalyst ? I'm on latest catalyst-test from vi0lo and STILL there isn't no backlight support .-.

And, are your AC properly recognized ? I'm on 3.8.2-ck and the AC bug on my laptop is still here, upower doesn't see the AC status change... And did you see a overall performance decreasing when you are on AC ? Such as gnome lagging etc etc...

I mailed AMD several times but no reply.  I hate AMD poor support.

Edit : Little tip, the CPU on this APU for some reason has 2 pstates locked.. You can unlock them and set the frequecies of 2300Mhz and 2600 Mhz with TurionPowerControl

Last edited by Alastor (2013-03-10 09:31:40)

Board footer