You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-31 15:27:09

stefo

[SOLVED] display manager issue (tried couple)

Hi, previously i had an issue starting arch on efi enabled virtual machine, and this issue is solved. Now, as i got my installation fixed i started looking the options for installing display manager, desktop environment (or just a window manager).

First i installed xfce4 and the goodies...

pacman -Syy
pacman -S xorg-server xorg-apps
pacman -S xfce4 xfce4-goodies

Installation went smooth.. Then i decided to install display manager, so i looked the list of possibilities and wanted to try with lightDM first.
First i saw that there are couple of greeters offered and i wanted to use the ubuntu-like one so i went on installing lightdm-unity-greeter first. I installed all deps, including AURs after which i headed to install lightDM.
I installed the AUR's by hand for lightDM as well (i saw somewhere a plugin or something similar that integrates nicely with pacman that could resolve, build and install packages from AUR, gimme a tip here too).All needed AURs were installed, and the rest of the deps. were resolved by pacman since those were part of the arch package groups. I installed lightdm, and since i forgot the change the PKGBUILD file to set the lightdm default greeter, upon install i changed its configuration in "/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf" and set this line as so:

greeter-session=lightdm-unity-greeter

After the install/config staff i did this:

systemctl enable lightdm.service

Then rebooted, when i got back in i could see black screen, i tried to switch between ttys and i saw that lightDM could have been possibly executed since i was located on tty7 (the gui is lunched here i assume), so i could switch between tty 1 to 7 and all but the 7th were default console types with the default login prompt, the 7th was black with white blinking cursor in the left top corner (cursor like this: _ ).

After that i decided to try GDM, so i followed that guide as well, i installed gdm package and enabled it with the systemd's systemctl utility. Firstly i removed the previous entries

systemctl disable lightdm.service   and enabled this:  systemctl enable gdm.service

Rebooted the virtual machine, and now in the tty1 the system was booting and halted at:

[ OK ] Started GNOME Display Manager.
[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface.

But, i tried to switch ttys again and i could do so, actually my system booted successfully, i could login on tty 2 to 7 but on tty1 it seemed like it was stucked at that line..

Last one i tried was slim. I installed slim and activated it with systemctl. (Disabling previous entry and enabling slim) And after reboot slim is not firing, i just see normal consol login prompt on every tty 1 to 7.

At minimal, i would like to setup arch with slim and xfce (i am no lap-top and i like light OS and fast responsiveness).

Thanks and Cheers!

Last edited by stefo (2013-01-01 15:52:03)

#2 2012-12-31 15:29:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] display manager issue (tried couple)

WTF?  I'm sorry but I just stopped reading after the first few sentences.  Your title says one thing, but then you describe a totally different problem ... and say that it is already solved.  Then you begin describing yet a third problem/question, then it looks like you even go into a forth.

If you want help, respect the communities time and effort and make a clear question.  If you have multiple independent questions, make mulitple threads.

EDIT: I don't wish to derail this with a disagreement on style.  But frankly the "please read on" attitude is a bit offensive.  Rather than put in effort to make an easily readable question you expect others to put in extra effort to decode your post and determine what it is you really want to know.  No thanks, I'll spend my time elsewhere.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-12-31 15:34:31)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-12-31 15:32:27

stefo

Please read on, the question is not right away, i just wrote a little introduction that i am in the process of setting up arch from bottom up to a full blown desktop OS...

EDIT: I didn't mean to offend anyone here as i know how much time and effort you are putting in the community, but you wrote too quickly without even reading the full post. You could have just skimmed the post and see if something's wrong.

EDIT: I didn't have 4 questions in the post, there were 2 (i removed the one with the syntax coloring, i will open another thread for it)...

Last edited by stefo (2012-12-31 15:43:26)

#4 2012-12-31 23:26:19

cfr

Perhaps you could edit your post to:
- eliminate irrelevant information - no introduction is necessary
- provide relevant information - currently largely missing despite the length of your post
- explain what it is you are actually asking for help with - you describe trying to do a number of incompatible things one after another but presumably one is actually what you want to do now? Which?

If the answer is to set up slim and xfce may I suggest that you first test that X works as described in the wiki? (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … _Interface)

Then get xfce working. (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce)

Then worry about slim. (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM)

If you try to do everything at once nobody, including you, will have any idea what the problem is, assuming there is one.

Last edited by cfr (2012-12-31 23:29:32)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#5 2013-01-01 00:22:55

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

stefo wrote:

First i installed xfce4 and the goodies...

pacman -Syy
pacman -S xorg-server xorg-apps
pacman -S xfce4 xfce4-goodies

This will break your system: after force synching your db, you should update.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2013-01-01 15:51:40

stefo

I fixed it, i didn't install vbox guest additions. Now it's working just fine.

Last edited by stefo (2013-01-01 15:52:36)

Board footer