You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-01 16:47:21

pottzie

XFCE autostart

I've installed XFCE and want it to autostart. The 'autostart' page in the wiki doesn't show anything for XFCE. I crossed my fingers and tried to use both "systemctl enable xfce.service" and "systemctl enable xfce4.service," and neither of those worked. I edited ~/.xinitrc and removed the hash from "exec startxfce4".

When I reboot, I get an error saying "Unable to load a failsafe session. Unable to determine a failsafe session name. Possible causes are Xfconfig isn't running (D-bus set up problem); environment variable $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is set up incorrectly (must include "/etc") or xfce4-session is installed incorrectly."

Checking dbus in the wiki, it says it's outdated and going to no longer be used, so if that's the problem, shouldn't there be some way around this? Or have I done something that isn't related to dbus, and am looking at the wrong solution entirely?

#2 2013-01-01 16:57:01

mamamia88

Re: XFCE autostart

edit the .xinitrc file in your home directory.  if there isn't one copy it from /etc/skel (cp /etc/skel/.xinitrc /home/youruser/) then uncomment (remove the # from the front of line)the xfce line.   install slim (pacman -S slim). systemctl enable slim.service.  follow the directions here to auto login https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLiM#Autologin  or still do the first step and follow this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Login  btw don't think there is a such thing as xfce.service.

Last edited by mamamia88 (2013-01-01 17:06:29)

#3 2013-01-01 17:47:06

pottzie

Well, that gets me to where i can start x with "startxfce4."  Looks like slim corrected most of whatever was wrong, but no auto-login yet.

Edited /etc/slim.conf to use my name and un-commented and changed auto_login to "yes."  Created a ~/.bash_profile and added the line to the bottom. I'm OK with having to start x from the shell when the system boots, but it would be nice, and also good to know the right way to get the auto login working, as this probably won't be the last time I have to do this.

EDIT: Was logging in as my user name. When logging in as root, bash showed that I had mistyped the line that goes at the bottom of ~/.bash_profile. Corrected that, now when I restart, I get [  17.804513] cs46xx: failuer waiting for FIFO command to complete.

I'm having a few other issues, not sure if they're related. When i issue the sutdown command from the GUI in XFCE the system doesn't shut down. It does, partially, but I have to kill the laptop (Ancient IBM Thinkpad a22) with the kill button. And when I reboot, I have to wait for a system check, since I went with ext2 when I partitioned the hard drive.

EDIT#2  I just restarted, and after logging in as root, the system auto started XFCE. So maybe that's what was wrong.

Last edited by pottzie (2013-01-01 18:46:24)

#4 2013-01-01 19:25:48

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer