You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-29 22:06:20

ytj

How to install from existing linux without root privilege?

We have a ubuntu server for develop in our company and I have a account. I am more familiar with archlinux. However, I can't just tell the system administrator to replace ubuntu with arch, since that would break everything. And I do not have root privilege. So I am wondering would it possible to install archlinux in the home directory, and use it like a virtual machine?

#2 2012-12-29 22:46:55

ewaller
Administrator

Re: How to install from existing linux without root privilege?

If you can install Virtualbox or VMware on your Ubuntu box, you can install Arch and run it within a VM.

If you are looking for ways to circumvent the authority of the owner of the system, you will not find support here.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-12-30 05:57:27

ytj

@ewaller Virtualbox spent too much RAM and CPU. I am looking for ways not to influence others. It's a public resource and I can't just spent everythings. Further more, normally we use ssh to connect our server. Besides, If we could run archlinux without root privilege, we could install it on a usb device and we got a portable system and environment. Why do you think this is a bad idea?

#4 2012-12-30 05:59:54

WonderWoofy

I don't think ewaller is telling you ti is a bad idea.  Rather, what you are asking sounds specifically like you are trying to install on a system that is not yours, that you do not have permission to install on.

#5 2012-12-30 06:44:06

ytj

@WonderWoofy Well, if you think so. I do not have root permission, but I don't think that means I do not have permission to install. I am free to do anything in my home directory.

actually there is an idea has just come into my mind. How about compile pacman and makepkg in ubuntu, and use it to build and install package to home directory? Then I just need to set environment variable like:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/lib
# etc...

#6 2012-12-30 06:51:19

ewaller
Administrator

So, as a user on the system, you should be able to install anything you want to your home directory.

What, specifically, would you like to install to your home directory that you can run with plain user permissions without causing impact to other users.  I am confused as to what you think you want to do..

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2012-12-30 08:23:23

DSpider

Pacman needs root privileges (sudo) to work.

So if sudo works for you, then you have root privileges.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#8 2012-12-30 12:39:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ubuntu + pacman != arch.

If you are able/allowed to reboot the machine, you certainly can install arch on a flash drive and have your portable system that you would run on their hardware.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2012-12-30 22:33:29

ytj

DSpider wrote:

Pacman needs root privileges (sudo) to work.

So if sudo works for you, then you have root privileges.

Maybe fakeroot or fakechroot?

Trilby wrote:

Ubuntu + pacman != arch.

If you are able/allowed to reboot the machine, you certainly can install arch on a flash drive and have your portable system that you would run on their hardware.

I am asking something different. I want to run arch on another linux.

ewaller wrote:

So, as a user on the system, you should be able to install anything you want to your home directory.

What, specifically, would you like to install to your home directory that you can run with plain user permissions without causing impact to other users.  I am confused as to what you think you want to do..

Something like, install software (including pacman) to home directory via pacman. Start a server by rc.d (I think in this case, sys-V is better than systemd).
For example, I could run this command in ubuntu without root permission, and that ubuntu server didn't install mysql.

$ pacman -S mysql
$ rc.d start mysqld
$ #Or "systemstl start mysqld.service"

#10 2012-12-30 22:41:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

ytj wrote:

I want to run arch on another linux.

The only way to run one OS within another is to use virtualization software.  If this is truly your goal and virtualbox does not work well, you could try Qemu (I think that's the name) or other virtualization systems.  But short of this, there is no way you can run one system within another.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#11 2012-12-30 22:41:55

cfr

Why don't you install Arch on a USB key as you suggested and then chroot into it?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#12 2013-01-01 18:09:15

teateawhy
Website

What do you want to achieve with arch, that can not be done with your ubuntu installation?

#13 2013-01-03 02:29:31

ytj

Trilby wrote:

The only way to run one OS within another is to use virtualization software.

CMIIW, colinux could be run within windows without virtualization software.

Last edited by ytj (2013-01-03 02:30:55)

#14 2013-01-03 02:33:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

This is the first I've heard of that one, but ...

wikipedia wrote:

Cooperative Linux utilizes the concept of a Cooperative Virtual Machine (CVM). In contrast to traditional VMs, the CVM shares resources that already exist in the host OS. In traditional (host) VMs, resources are virtualized for every (guest) OS. The CVM gives both OSs complete control of the host machine while the traditional VM sets every guest OS in an unprivileged state to access the real machine.

It sounds like virtualization software to me.

#15 2013-01-03 03:33:21

JLloyd13

Trilby wrote:

This is the first I've heard of that one, but ...

wikipedia wrote:

Cooperative Linux utilizes the concept of a Cooperative Virtual Machine (CVM). In contrast to traditional VMs, the CVM shares resources that already exist in the host OS. In traditional (host) VMs, resources are virtualized for every (guest) OS. The CVM gives both OSs complete control of the host machine while the traditional VM sets every guest OS in an unprivileged state to access the real machine.

sounds like to doesn't completely sandbox the VM, gives it full hardware access. sounds dangerous.

#16 2013-01-03 09:59:59

ytj

Trilby wrote:

Well, you can say colinux is kinda virtualization software. After all OS itself is just a VM: hidden the architecture for application software. However colinux is significantly different from full x86 virtualization, which like virtualbox or QEMU, as you mentioned in your post.

cfr wrote:

Why don't you install Arch on a USB key as you suggested and then chroot into it?

How to install package to USB device by using pacman? Could I just extract?

teateawhy wrote:

What do you want to achieve with arch, that can not be done with your ubuntu installation?

Just tired to learn ubuntu.

#17 2013-01-03 10:47:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you've installed to a usb and chrooted, you don't need to specify the usb as the target of pacman commands - the chroot does that, so you'd just run 'pacman -S whatever'.

This may be the closest thing to what you are looking for.  The only hangup may come from runnning a different kernel than what is installed on the chroot system.

#18 2013-01-04 06:57:49

ytj

Trilby wrote:

If you've installed to a usb and chrooted, you don't need to specify the usb as the target of pacman commands - the chroot does that, so you'd just run 'pacman -S whatever'.

This may be the closest thing to what you are looking for.  The only hangup may come from runnning a different kernel than what is installed on the chroot system.

Thanks for advice. However, It seems that chroot need root privilege which I don't have. I tried fakechroot but failed as well (seems fakechroot did not really build a chroot jail). Do anyone know how to chroot not as root?

Board footer