You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-30 17:06:59

Jacek Poplawski
Website

Steam and Linux games

I just installed Steam on Arch from AUR.
I use 64-bit Arch on system with ATI video.

I own Limbo, but when I click "install" it skips downloading and just "play" appears but play doesn't work, I can also remove local content (which doesnt exist) and "install" again. Anyone tried installing Limbo on Arch Linux?

I sucessfully downloaded Amnesia, but it fails on start with empty window when running from Steam.
UPDATE it WORKS beautifuly when running Amnesia.bin from .local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent, but I wonder why Amnesia.bin64 segfaults after initial screens so probably some library is missing. To sum things up: 32-bit version WORKS (and it's fast).

Trine2 WORKS, but the first problem is config screen (on start), it's resized to the size when OK button is not visible, so to start I need to press tab and enter (very unclear), also the speed is very low, but I assume it's because very high graphics settings were set on config screen, will work on it.

World of Goo WORKS perfectly, run from Steam.

I bought Introversion pack, tried to download Defcon but only soundtrack is downloaded, probably same problem as with Limbo.

I bought Doom3 but it's not available for Linux on steam, looks like I need to install on Windows then install Linux binaries from AUR.

All these games are or were on discount, so I will tell you how they work - if I will be able to run any in Arch smile
Please support developers who made Linux version of their games, looks like Steam seriously will be used on Linux, so it's nice to check how it works on Arch.

Last edited by Jacek Poplawski (2012-12-30 19:21:57)

#2 2012-12-30 19:32:56

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Steam and Linux games

Steam on Linux is in open beta. File a bug report with Valve for each game that doesn't work, along with your system information, and a description of what goes wrong.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2012-12-30 20:37:08

Gluekem

It isn't really worth reporting the games that don't download. They have been listed as supporting Linux, but the actual files aren't yet being distributed. Many of them, such as VVVVVV, have ongoing password protected Linux betas, as seen under the game properties.

A quick check of whether a game is actually available: If the first pop-up when you click to install says the download size under the sentence "You are about to install _____."

It definitely isn't the best behavior for the client, but it isn't an issue concerning your machine. Everyone is affected, and they are certainly aware of it.

Notably, Splice recently went from this non-downloadable state to being available. Hopefully the other games will soon do the same.

#4 2012-12-30 21:19:08

Jacek Poplawski
Website

Thanks for info.
Do you know what's the status of Doom3 - like games? I mean the games which were supported on Linux but are not visible on Steam for Linux.
Should we download them for Windows and manually install linux binaries? Or are they going to make it one day on Steam?

#5 2012-12-30 22:29:17

Gluekem

I imagine that depends quite a bit on the particular developers involved and their dealings with Steam. Chances are that a lot more current Linux versions of games will start to get pushed through when the client is out of its beta. However, for any particular game, the best source for its plans involving Steam for Linux would probably be asking the developers directly.

#6 2013-01-04 19:03:12

ANOKNUSA

If you are a member of the Beta testing program, you can log into your steam account, click on the "Linux" tab and see a list of games currently available to testers.  Exactly when particular games might possibly be available to Linux users is entirely up to the developers of said games; Valve doesn't control the games, they only distribute them.

#7 2013-01-04 19:38:17

Jacek Poplawski
Website

I am not part of any beta testing program, but I see Linux tab with games.

#8 2013-01-04 23:14:04

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

That's because it's an open beta now. No opt-in required.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer