You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-31 19:30:20

lunke

Paku on Gna.org

My libpypac GUI is now available on gna https://gna.org/projects/paku/
Feel free to try it out and comment, any coding help would also be appriciated smile

enjoy

#2 2005-10-31 19:39:15

arooaroo
Website

Re: Paku on Gna.org

Oooo! Good to see someone using libpypac.

However, is it me or do all the GTK-based front-ends all look the same? Why don't gtkpacman, gutza and paku just combine efforts into a single project?

Just my 2p.

#3 2005-10-31 19:45:05

lunke

Yeah I guess you have a point but as I've understood both guzuta and gtkpacman uses pacman. I wanted to make a app that was pure python/libpypac.

#4 2005-10-31 20:12:27

arooaroo
Website

Indeed. An approach that avoids pacman for obtaining package info is a Good Idea (TM). That said, all other aspects of the gtk-based pacman GUIs seem very similar.

I think the devs of gutza and gtkpacman agree with the benefits of libpypac. I reckon that combining efforts could result in something good.

#5 2005-11-01 00:05:40

tranquility

arooaroo wrote:

Indeed. An approach that avoids pacman for obtaining package info is a Good Idea (TM). That said, all other aspects of the gtk-based pacman GUIs seem very similar.

I think the devs of gutza and gtkpacman agree with the benefits of libpypac. I reckon that combining efforts could result in something good.

I agree. I'm currently busy wrapping libalpm in python. It's the first time I've done such a thing but when I get it done, libalpm will have a python wrapper. Then whoever wants and is developing a front end in python/pygtk (like yours truly) will have no problem hacking a decent front end.

#6 2005-11-01 02:13:55

lunke

tranquility wrote:

I agree. I'm currently busy wrapping libalpm in python. It's the first time I've done such a thing but when I get it done, libalpm will have a python wrapper. Then whoever wants and is developing a front end in python/pygtk (like yours truly) will have no problem hacking a decent front end.

Really? I was thinking about the same thing. How's that coming along, far from a usefull release? smile

#7 2005-11-01 17:04:55

z4ziggy
Website

whow... finally a gui-pacman which uses libpypac... about time smile
now i'll just wait for a release (+pkgbuild) and hope it proves itself superior over the other pacman-UI's (its already got one star for using libpypac wink ) so we can include this on Archie iso.

some suggestions if i may - the install/remove/update tabs would look nicer as a toolbar aligned to left with nice buttons graphics. also, a "complete-system-update" (pacman -Syu) button would be nice. and if u do add "complete-system-update", it would be nice to have this as a command-line parameter so we can invoke paku as a system-updater wizard (kinda like windows-update).

thanks again, and looking forward for your release smile

#8 2005-11-01 17:20:27

lunke

Ok, with the toolbar do you mean you want it to look sortof like yumex?

edited link to fit to screen -Penguin

#9 2005-11-01 20:15:20

arooaroo
Website

lunke wrote:

Ok, with the toolbar do you mean you want it to look sortof like yumex?

You've hit the nail on the head there. Looks better, don't you think? That said, it's a trivial issue get all your functionality done first.

#10 2005-11-01 20:26:48

xerxes2
Website

i can also mention that lunke is a long time project member of libpypac so he knows his way around, big_smile

z4ziggy: why do you want a package manager for a live cd? or does it got an installer too?

i wrote a simple gui some time ago which may inspire others
http://xerxes2.1go.dk/python/python_sta … l#grapport
that is a kiss gui big_smile

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#11 2005-11-01 22:30:02

z4ziggy
Website

lunke : yes. exactly what i ment wink looks nicer, dont u think?
also, could u add a column with the package-description and also make it searchable? it would be easier to look at packages instead of clicking on each item to read its description.

xerx2s2 : i think a pacman frontend would enhance Archie mainly for first-timers, ie, non-Arch users, which is our biggest audience... wink

#12 2005-11-02 22:19:10

tranquility

lunke wrote:
tranquility wrote:

Really? I was thinking about the same thing. How's that coming along, far from a usefull release? smile

Yes and No. Yes because a lot of wrapping is still to be done, but no because I'm starting to grasp how things are done. So, expect updates. smile

#13 2005-11-15 14:40:29

bardo

Ok, I'm not much of a coder, but if I can help you with translations (English and Italian) just ask, I'd be glad to smile

dreaming in digital / living in realtime / thinking in binary / talking in ip / welcome to our world

#14 2005-11-22 18:18:44

z4ziggy
Website

any news about paku, lunke?

#15 2005-11-23 19:30:55

lunke

z4ziggy wrote:

any news about paku, lunke?

Nope, haven't done much at all on it, been busy with other stuff. But hopefully development will speed up abit as soon as I've moved all functions to libpypac.

EDIT: Alright did some changes to the UI, next is to hack a bit on libpypac.
bardo: You're welcome to help with translations, you can either join the project on gna or simply checkout the files from SVN and then mail me the translation.
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/paku/trunk/data/locale/

#16 2005-11-26 03:03:59

lunke

Ok got some updates now, did quite a bit on the backend and a few things on libpypac. But mostly the GUI have been redesigned, although I'm not 100% it's gonna stay exactly this way, check it out:
http://home.gna.org/paku/paku2.png

And yes the checkboxes/icons are from synaptic, had to use images instead of the crappy toggleboxes tongue

#17 2005-11-26 23:27:07

z4ziggy
Website

looking very promising smile

is it possible to make the left bar more "toolbar like" instead of tabs? ie, to eliminate the "----" separators.
also, can you add the description column to the package-list so packages can be easily listed and people can scroll, looking at the package description, while looking for desired package?

besides that, i think its coming to perfection smile if its ok, i'd like to include the final paku on Archie 0.6 iso.

good work!

#18 2005-12-06 01:23:10

lunke

Updated the screenshot, it's still here http://home.gna.org/paku/paku2.png
Feel free to use paku for whatever, it's GPL wink
Although you would probably want to set up a Archie-only repo which is stripped down. So users don't try to install openoffice or other large packages onto a ramdisk.

#19 2005-12-06 12:41:59

z4ziggy
Website

you are THE man! smile looking amazing!

can u please provide PKGBUILD (and dependencies pkgbuilds, like libpypac etc) so we can include it on Archie repo? Finally we can deliver Archie iso with a great pacman frontend smile this is REALLY on time since i've installed Archie on some non-so-techy users (ie, afraid of the command line...) and paku will fix the bigest problem they have (after all, no one is really configuring the system on a daily basis, and only pacman is the CLI tool for daily use).

I dont think we need to strip paku since Archie is intended for hd install, and im sure users would appreciate installing openoffice (or whatever) afterwards.

again, i thank you man for this contribution, its highly appreciated.

ps.
is there already an "update system" button (ie, pacman -Syu) for complete system update in one click? I think it will be usefull.

#20 2005-12-07 19:07:15

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

What a mess!

Here is a PKGBUILD for paku - it works but your setup script forgets to install paku itself and there is an error regarding the source.png.

When I tried to run it I also had the following error, I may not have all the deps, I guessed after all:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/paku", line 6, in ?
    libpaku.paku_gui.initialize()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libpaku/paku_gui.py", line 1147, in initialize
    if not paku_pacman.lock():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libpaku/paku_shell.py", line 369, in lock
    return libpypac_0.lock() 
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'lock'

Here is the PKGBUILD

# Contributor: dibblethewrecker dibblethewrecker.at.jiwe.dot.org

pkgname=paku
pkgver=57 
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A GUI alternative to pacman, it uses libpypac and pygtk"
url="http://home.gna.org/paku/"
depends=('pygtk' 'libpypac-devel')
makedepends=('subversion')

_svntrunk=http://svn.gna.org/svn/paku/trunk
_svnmod=paku

build() {
  cd $startdir/src

svn co $_svntrunk --config-dir ./ -r $pkgver $_svnmod

msg "SVN checkout done or server timeout"
  msg "Starting make..."

cp -r $_svnmod $_svnmod-build
  cd $_svnmod-build

python setup.py install --root=$startdir/pkg
  rm -fr $startdir/src/$_svnmod-build
}
# vim:syntax=sh

It requires libpypac-devel:

# Contributor: dibblethewrecker <dibblethewrecker.at.jiwe.org>

pkgname=libpypac-devel
pkgver=0.5.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Package management library framework that aims on beeing 100% compatible with Archlinux' default package manager Pacman"
url="http://home.gna.org/libpypac/"
license=""
depends=('python')
source=(http://download.gna.org/libpypac/libpypac-devel/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('cfed44c9a1aabf10aa54c47ef274bc09')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  python setup.py install --root=$startdir/pkg
}

Best I can do for now! big_smile

#21 2005-12-07 23:36:12

lunke

dibblethewrecker wrote:

What a mess!

Here is a PKGBUILD for paku - it works but your setup script forgets to install paku itself and there is an error regarding the source.png.

Hmm, what does it not install? Works for me.. And yea I forgot to check in source.png, that's fixed now.

dibblethewrecker wrote:

When I tried to run it I also had the following error, I may not have all the deps, I guessed after all:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/paku", line 6, in ?
    libpaku.paku_gui.initialize()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libpaku/paku_gui.py", line 1147, in initialize
    if not paku_pacman.lock():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/libpaku/paku_shell.py", line 369, in lock
    return libpypac_0.lock() 
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'lock'

That's fixed in libpypac_devel svn. And since I code on both libpypac and paku at the same time there might be other stuff broken with the current snapshot.

Anyho, paku is still very much under development so don't expect everything to work until a stable release gets out.

#22 2005-12-08 00:03:56

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, as far as I can tell the paku script is not actually installed by the setup script...at least not to /usr/bin where you would expect it to be....

I'll try building libpypac-devel-svn and see how far that gets me smile

#23 2005-12-08 00:11:07

lunke

That's odd, I removed a "," from the script, perhaps that caused the problem.
Otherwise I don't really know since it works for me.

# python setup.py install
copying src/paku -> /usr/bin/

#24 2005-12-08 00:33:55

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Try the PKGBUILD I created to make a pkg, it might be something unique to the way root is used, maybe.

#25 2005-12-08 00:50:49

lunke

You're right somethings wrong, however I messed around a bit and I think I got it working ok, just remember to wipe the src/ dir before building.

# Contributor: dibblethewrecker dibblethewrecker.at.jiwe.dot.org

pkgname=paku
pkgver=61
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A GUI alternative to pacman, it uses libpypac and pygtk"
url="http://home.gna.org/paku/"
depends=('pygtk' 'libpypac-devel')
makedepends=('subversion')

_svntrunk=http://svn.gna.org/svn/paku/trunk
_svnmod=paku

build() {
  cd $startdir/src