You are not logged in.

#2926 2013-01-05 19:04:35

Gunslinger

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi everyone! Just registered after finally landed at arch after (K|U|LU)BUNTU, SUSE, Gentoo, Fedora, etc. !

Have a lot of fun!
(I know this comes originally from SUSE but for myself this is rather valid for arch!)

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

#2927 2013-01-06 02:09:08

HungGarTiger

Gunslinger wrote:

Hi everyone! Just registered after finally landed at arch after (K|U|LU)BUNTU, SUSE, Gentoo, Fedora, etc. !

Have a lot of fun!
(I know this comes originally from SUSE but for myself this is rather valid for arch!)

Welcome and I would like to say I love your choice in literature, your signature is possibly the best opening line in any book I've ever read!

"No sympathy for the devil. If you buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Hunter S. Thompson

#2928 2013-01-06 08:51:12

Deadguy1

Hi!
I've been using Arch for over three years now but I have never had to ask many questions here because everything
I've needed to know about how to fix or get my system to work correctly has been found with a search of these forums or is in the wiki
but I thought I'd say hello anyway smile

cheers!!

Linux=Freedom

#2929 2013-01-06 13:49:51

smilefreak

Hi from new zealand!

I have been using more mainstream distros for a few years now but arch is the most enjoyable linux experience.
The wiki is amazing and problems are very well answered on these forums.

Hope to see you around

#2930 2013-01-06 18:40:09

Gunslinger

HungGarTiger wrote:

Welcome and I would like to say I love your choice in literature, your signature is possibly the best opening line in any book I've ever read!

Thanks! Id. for your choice! It's sometimes hard to find a smart signature which has not yet been used thousands of times before.

/Gunslinger wink

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

#2931 2013-01-07 00:10:33

VaHam

What a waste of time the wrong statement for authorization was!  From latest arch linux install it should be date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'

#2932 2013-01-07 00:27:17

MatejLach
Website

VaHam wrote:

What a waste of time the wrong statement for authorization was!  From latest arch linux install it should be date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'

Welcome :-)

#2933 2013-01-08 18:42:38

hvh

Hi everybody!

VaHam wrote:

It took me a minute to find out what's wrong with the hash too. But I believe the "wrong" parameter is part of the question... wink

#2934 2013-01-10 02:42:59

Huginn

Good day to you all,

from Iceland, been using Linux since 2000, learned the basics on SuSE 6.2 that was fun, recent years been on Ubuntu and Mint, just set Arch up for the first time few days ago and I]m in LOVE, can not wait to throw it on more machines and start having fun like you guys smile

#2935 2013-01-10 05:09:09

jessechen

Hello, everyone:
          I am a new arch guy.   and  I installed arch three times . I love arch!   and it really feels good,  the arch package is so clean without any binded plugin.  besides,  the pacman is so easy to use

#2936 2013-01-10 10:34:19

rale

Hello Arch Community!

My name is Ralf, living in Germany and I'am "back" to ArchLinux again smile

Using Linux round about ten years now, starting with Ubuntu followed by Debian and finally Arch. In between I tested LFS, Gentoo and used live systems like Knoppix. My roots are going back to DOS 2.1 and long way through the world of MS Windows up to XP, and even pre PC time. Pretty old guy I'am smile

Currently I'am running a Hackintosh on my daily working machine, a Hackintosh OS X Server (2 month onld) as home server and a Ubuntu HTPC. Neither the Ubuntu HTPC nor the OS X Server are satisfying and so I decided to switch to Arch on both of them. The server machine mainly to use BTRFS file system, the HTPC because Ubuntu broke my nvidia graphics configuration on last upgrade, it is to heavy loaded and slow in starting, and going more and more proprietary with the 'Unity Desktop' and 'upstart' boot.

As VaHam wrote, registration to this forum is extremely complicated because of the ill formed question

date -u +%V$(uname)|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'

Not only doesn't it function on a fresh ArchLinux base installation, it also isn't usable on a none Linux machine as my MacBookPro, I'm currently using to install Arch on my HTPC remotely. See these threads https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=151015 and https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/32066.

Finally I wish everyone a happy New Year and a lot of fun with ArchLinux, one of the best distributions around, with one of the best wiki and forum, which only is possible because of it's strong community. Thank You all!

rale

#2937 2013-01-10 22:49:17

w4xen

Hey everybody! I'm liking what I see with Arch. I'm an old slackware user (yes, praise Bob). I decided to go ahead and partition the desktop here and give Linux a go. I went through two other distros (slackware again, and fedora 17) before giving Arch a shot. I just wasn't feeling the other distros for some reason. Something inside me said to try something new. So I gave Arch a burn and install and here I am. I'm stuck. I still have a Windows partition but I see this distro taking it over my complete hdd in the future. I'm going to have to give up Team Fortress 2 on Steam I guess until I figure out how to get it to run on Linux. On that day, there will be celebration and much merry making. As well as pwning n00bs til the sun comes up. Anyway, I'm thrilled to be here. I hope to try and be here on the forums as much as I can. Thanks for such a great distro and I appreciate the clean site and clean feel. Best wishes to all.

-Caleb

Last edited by w4xen (2013-01-10 23:58:36)

#2938 2013-01-11 00:59:58

MatejLach
Website

w4xen wrote:

I'm going to have to give up Team Fortress 2 on Steam I guess until I figure out how to get it to run on Linux.-Caleb

There's actually a native version of TF2 already for Linux.
- https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/steam/ -

#2939 2013-01-11 12:30:12

Pastulio

Hi everybody,

I've been running Linux for a couple of years now (mostly ubuntu) mostly as a normal user with minimal CLI interaction.
After a quick course on system/network administration I got a job at a small company and became a Junior Linux administrator.

Here I got more familiar with CentOS and Scientific Linux while still using Ubuntu as my workstation distro.
But the more I got into the server management side of things, the more questions I started to have.

Finally, watching a "review" of Arch Linux on The Linux Actions show sparked my interest.
So here I am, and I'm loving it so far!

I love how Easy it was to install arch, and I've already noticed that a lot of things that I took for granted are simply not working in arch.
(which is a good thing because after all, it allows me to learn)

I hope that I can start helping some people out here soon, but it might take a while. In the meantime, I have some questions myself :-)

Greetings from Belgium,
Pascal

#2940 2013-01-11 12:46:29

marc-andre
Website

Hello there!

I'm from France (Perpignan), 33 years young and using Linux for over 10 years now. The last years on Ubuntu, I think I'm finally ready to move over to Arch Linux.

Marc-André

#2941 2013-01-12 11:31:43

diex

Hi everyone,

I've met linux with ubuntu in 2006 and had chance to use its several versions. Since than I also had the opportunity to try Mandriva,Fedora,Pardus for short periods. I am 24 and the first OS that I tried was Windows 3.1 with DOS of course. Microsoft products had always missing something. Probably an intelligent community smile The first time that I installed arch to my machine was 2009.  In 25/07/2012 I finally decided to move to arch as my main OS. Unfortunately, I had to install xp in vbox because, in my work I need to use ms office programming and some other engineering software's which do not work in arch.

I like both arch and its community. Very intelligent people gather all around the world. Forum and wiki is like a reference guide. And also you can get experience based real time assistance on #archlinux as well via irc. I live in Istanbul, Turkey. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Hasan

halat gibi bileğinle, yayla gibi yüreğinle ...

#2942 2013-01-12 18:02:09

geekoo

Hola, This is Prashanth from Bangalore, India.

I've been familiar with Linux for over 10 years (I remember Linux's 10th birthday) though I was on and off with it.

Over the last year or two, I have cleaned up my home laptop of Windows and have been running a Linux only box and had been chugging along well. I have experience with Slack, Red Hat, Fedora, SuSE, Mandriva, Debian, Gentoo, etc etc and finally was using Ubuntu for 2 years.

I liked the comfort of having a distro that just works out of the box and lets me work on it in peace. However Ubuntu got too bloated and I got bored of it. So decided to give Arch a spin. I used to enjoy Slack and its configurability and liked sourced based no-nonsense distros. Gentoo on the other hand was getting to be too much of a bother. I liked configurations, but it was getting too painful.

I believe Arch takes the middle path and provides enough customizability without being a pain in the backside. I got my box set up in a couple of hours which is way better than the 2 days that Gentoo took me. Let's see how long the honeymoon period with Arch lasts. :-)

#2943 2013-01-13 06:18:41

phaenom

Hello everyone,

I have been using Linux off and on for 6 years now and never fully took the plunge until now. My experience started with Debian which led to Ubuntu and Mint. However I have also experimented with Knoppix, Fedora, SuSe, and many others finally arriving at Arch. For whatever reason none had as large of an impression on me as Arch has. I first installed it about 6 months ago in a dual boot with Windows. However about a month ago I finally made the plunge and decided to drop windows completely. I have no desire to go back and actually become frustrated and long for my system while at work stuck on Windows 7. The reason I initially liked Arch is that during the installation and initial setup alone I learned more about how Linux works than all my previous experience combined. There is a great deal I still need to learn and I am looking forward to it.

I also look forward to interacting with this community.

#2944 2013-01-13 19:56:21

CrashLog

Hello everyone!

I might be a bit of a heretic, since I'm only using Linux in a virtual machine at the moment (Windows still wins in video games, though hopefully not for long).
I first used Linux years ago when XP broke on my computer and my brother gave up on trying to fix it, and installed Edubuntu (I was probably like 10 years old) instead.
Then I went through a couple of computers, with Windows again, until I arrived at my current one, with Windows 7 on it.
Then, one day, I felt a longing for Linux again and wanted to go back to it, but since I like video games, I'm currently forced to use a virtual machine for it.
I tried out Arch, Mint and Fedora. Fedora felt restrictive and seemed to have slow updates to its packages so that was a bust, and since I failed my first ~6 installations of Arch in one way or another, I said "screw that, I'm going Mint!"
Then, like a beaten spouse, I thought "well, maybe I'll just give Arch one more chance" and now, finally I've got almost everything working and set up the way I want.
So, after the analogy in that last sentence, I guess you could say I'm finally home. smile
Now hopefully I can buy a laptop sooner rather than later and install Arch on that full time.

"There are no problems, only opportunities for solutions."

#2945 2013-01-13 23:25:06

Biatch

Having been tired of using Ubuntu or SuSE I finally switched to Arch, as soon as I realised that Winter is a suitable season for studying Linux. It's a great distribution I've fallen in love with.

I'm eighteen years old, from Austria, and totally motivated.

Cheers wink

#2946 2013-01-16 12:32:26

effemmeffe

My parents always told me "be polite, introduce yourself".
Hi, I'm effemmeffe, I'm new to Arch, not so new to GNU/Linux.
Right now I'm newbie also to Raspberry PI where I'm trying to install Arch, so I'm to be considered a square noob.
Please forgive me in advance for my dumb questions.

#2947 2013-01-16 18:17:47

DonJaime

First programming language used: PL/1
First OS used: Michigan Terminal System (in batch mode, with punch cards)

... Many years pass ...

First PC OS used: CP/M
First PC OS owned: Mac OS version 7.1

... More years ...

First Linux tried: Mandrake
Others tried out over yet more years: Mandriva, Red Hat, Fedora, Slackware, Ubuntu, Debian

Last Windows OS tolerated: XP

Reason for choosing Arch: I want to ask: "Do I want this?" not "Can I remove this safely?"

Reason for not regretting it (yet): the wiki.

#2948 2013-01-16 20:59:07

aijaijai

Hello to any/all future friends.

#2949 2013-01-17 01:58:28

dodo3773

Quick copy paste cross-post from "The Official Good Bye Everyone Thread":

Left and went to Gentoo. Came back. Left and went to Funtoo. Came back.  So, since there is no official welcome back thread haha, goodbye and hello again. I've tried various distros but in the end they just weren't Arch if that makes any sense.

#2950 2013-01-17 04:48:24

the_brad524

Heyall,

I'm from New York, the most dismal state in the world. In the winter months I've decided to burrow into my cave throw some old computer parts together and build a modest home server. I don't find any of the automated distro's any fun as someone else behind the curtains knows how it works but I don't. So far with Arch I've learned a ton (more than all my other experiences) and enjoy the idea its yours to build from the ground up.

Board footer