You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-06 21:41:12

aweb

feature request: extra Include directive in default pacman.conf

Since arch's move to systemd, cluster administration requires less and less use of sed.  In particular, systemctl, timedatectl, /etc/sysctl.d, /etc/modules-load.d, /etc/hostname, /etc/vconsole.conf, etc. make scripting configuration changes both simpler more robust than the old approach of editing multi-purpose files such as /etc/rc.conf.

An exception to this trend is pacman.conf, which has non-trivial default contents that almost certainly needs to be customized (e.g., to enable multilib and local repositories).  These changes would be much simpler if the default pacman.conf included a line such as:

Include = /etc/pacman.d/conf/*.conf

Currently my scripts use sed to insert this line at the end of the [options] section.  (Unfortunately "Include = /etc/pacman.d/*.conf" doesn't work because there's sometimes a gpg.conf file in /etc/pacman.d, but maybe that could be fixed.)

I don't know if the forum is the right place for feature requests, but I wanted to get people's reactions.  If people think it's a good idea I can add it as a feature request to the bug tracker.

There are several other pieces of low-hanging fruit where I'd like to see arch decrease the complexity scripting configuration (e.g., an unattended pacman-key --populate and easier customization of mkinitcpio.conf), but I figured I'd start with the simplest and gauge people's reactions.

#2 2013-01-06 21:49:20

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: feature request: extra Include directive in default pacman.conf

aweb wrote:

I don't know if the forum is the right place for feature requests, but I wanted to get people's reactions.  If people think it's a good idea I can add it as a feature request to the bug tracker.

It isn't... best to place the feedback in flyspray so it will be sure to get to the peeps that need to see it.  Welcome to Arch.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer