You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-07 00:09:42

mynis01

A new years resolution: Stop using deprecated CLI utilities.

I remember seeing this thread last year and my mind was blown. I had no idea that a lot of the networking utilities I use on a regular basis were deprecated. Here's the list so you don't have to click the link:

arp                    ip n (ip neighbor)
ifconfig               ip a (ip addr), ip link, ip -s (ip -stats)
iptunnel               ip tunnel
iwconfig               iw
nameif                 ip link, ifrename
netstat                ss, ip route (for netstat-r), ip -s link (for netstat -i), ip maddr (for netstat-g)
route                  ip r (ip route)

I still continued to use ifconfig throughout the year, because it worked for me and I don't feel like learning all the new switches and arguments. But not this year! I had to ask myself, what else is there that I've been using long after its end of life? Does anyone else have any bad administration habits that you're just too lazy to give up?

#2 2013-01-07 00:37:40

WonderWoofy

Re: A new years resolution: Stop using deprecated CLI utilities.

You realize that although you may not want to use them, many are required by other packages.  For instance, net-tools is what has ifconfig, but is required by wicd and networkmanager. And wireless_tools (has iwconfig) is required by wicd as well as conky and i3 status on my machine.  Though I don't use wicd... I just have it installed because... well I don't know anymore.  I used to keep it as a backup solution, but I don't think I ever use it.

#3 2013-01-07 01:39:16

chris_l

Re: A new years resolution: Stop using deprecated CLI utilities.

mynis01 wrote:

Does anyone else have any bad administration habits that you're just too lazy to give up?

I had 2 years ago the habit to use ifconfig and others, like you, until I found the LARTC howto.
If you want to learn the iproute2 utils, this howto really helps. Check it here: http://www.lartc.org/howto/

I must confess I still think maybe I have a bad administration habit by still using ipv4 on my lan...

"open source is about choice"
No.
Open source is about opening the source code complying with this conditions, period. The ability to choose among several packages is just a nice side effect.

Board footer