You are not logged in.

#26 2012-10-22 01:25:38

DrZaius

Re: FFcast2 - screencast made easy

hendry wrote:

Hey guys, I created https://github.com/kaihendry/recordmydesktop2.0 that hopefully helps you guys. Be ideal to merge projects or work together.

Interesting. Why ffvhuff? Do you find that it performs better than huffyuv, ffv1, (lib)utvideo, or libx264 (lossless with ultrafast preset)? Why flac instead of pcm_s16le?

The convenience of using the native FFmpeg AAC encoder (-c:a aac -strict experimental) may outweigh the need to compile for the higher quality of libfaac. The native FFmpeg AAC encoder isn't as bad as most people think. Or if possible use the native encoder as a fallback so at least an output can be created despite the encoder situation. Also, people are lazy. Just something to consider.

Last edited by DrZaius (2012-10-22 01:28:07)

#27 2013-01-07 08:20:58

jamtat

I installed this from AUR and gave it a quick try--looks like something right up my alley. It looks like maybe the project is going, or has gone, moribund, though: no updates to the AUR package have occurred for over a year now. Will you be continuing to develop and/or maintain it, lolilolicon?

Also, a question about usage. I record fairly lengthy screencasts which I need to pause on occasion. I know that's not really possible with ffcast and ffmpeg's x11grab. To date, I've just ended the video and started a new one, joining together the resulting separate files with a nice script I found on-line that does just that (called mmcat). I think, however, that this sort of joining is unlikely to work very well with the screen-grabbing functionality of ffcast--that because the grabbed region of the video files is likely to differ, even if only very slightly.

My question, then, is whether my assumption that joining resulting video files is unlikely to work well is a correct one?

Thanks,
James

Last edited by jamtat (2013-01-07 08:23:13)

#28 2013-01-08 02:51:34

DrZaius

DrZaius wrote:
Dirk Sohler wrote:

Is there a way to pause and continue recordings without completely stopping the recording?

You can try pkill as shown here.

I haven't tried this.

#29 2013-01-08 09:07:49

jamtat

Yeah, I've run across that previously, DrZaius. I also have not tried it yet--and can't, given the current method I'm using for screencasting (which involves a bash script I pilfered that records audio and video separately, then joins the streams). recordmydesktop's pause functionality was working so well for me: it's a shame I couldn't resolve the audio/video sync issues I started seeing with it and that ended up making it unusabl;e for me. I think you and I may have exchanged a couple messages about screencasting over on the ubuntu forums, btw, DrZaius. Do you happen to know if lolilolicon is continuing to develop/maintain ffcast2?

#30 2013-01-08 19:07:50

DrZaius

jamtat wrote:

Do you happen to know if lolilolicon is continuing to develop/maintain ffcast2?

It appears that development has stalled, but I wouldn't call it dead. I don't know really. You can also try recordmydesktop 2.0 as mentioned earlier in this thread, but I haven't tried it. There is also recordscreen,  but that one is also untried by me. Both of these appear to use ffmpeg.

#31 2013-01-09 07:54:45

jamtat

Ok, thanks for the further input, DrZaius. I guess I was under a fundamental misconception about ffcast as, having now tried it, I see it does not do sound. And I absolutely need sound. That said, I took a look at the ffcast script and it seemed I might be able to introduce some modification particular to my system that would make it record sound but, to be honest, calling my scripting knowledge/skill "rudimentary" would be an overstatement. Have you ever looked at the script? If so, or if you have a better knowledge of scripting and can take a look at it, do you also think it might be tweaked a bit to record sound alongside video? Also, I note that lolilolicon gives a gmail address for himself in the script: perhaps I will try, using that address, to contact him directly about this.

Last edited by jamtat (2013-01-09 07:55:32)

#32 2013-01-10 03:10:20

DrZaius

See Capturing audio with FFmpeg and ALSA for examples. You can also use "-i pulse" as an input or use the pulseaudio input device, but I've never used that since I don't use PulseAudio.

It might be easier to manually use ffmpeg for screencasting at this point, but FFcast gives the distinct advantage of allowing you to easily select a recording window/area.

#33 2014-03-22 06:02:13

chilicuil
Website

I discovered this tool one week ago and got very impressed about it, I created a posix shell version (tested against dash) and made it available at:

https://github.com/chilicuil/ffcast

Bests

Board footer