You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-07 05:49:04

boblitz13

[SOLVED] CPU cooling advice

Hardware: HP Pavillion dv7 with Intel Core-i7 (Sandy Bridge).

After installing conky, I realized that my slow compile times were a result of not taking full advantage of all of my cores, so I decided to up my MAKEFLAGS -j value. I love super fast compile times, but I also love processors lasting more than a year and was not pleased with the CPU running at 87°C, a little over the "max temperature" for my processor according to the kernel (critical temperature shutdown is at 100°C). I did some research and it seems like temperatures as low as the mid-70s are not good for your CPU for extended periods of time. If this is true, then I really need to find a better cooling solution for my laptop as it usually hangs around 50°C and goes up to 70°C rather quickly if I'm playing games.

My questions are how hardware-intensive installing a new cooling sink, case fan, etc. is and what my options are for cooling upgrades (or where I could look). I am very skittish about messing with hardware as I know I cannot fix it myself if I damage something. I've also found very little beyond replacement cooling parts of the same quality as those that I have. Any help in either area would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by boblitz13 (2013-01-08 07:15:43)

#2 2013-01-07 07:09:37

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] CPU cooling advice

Generally, these forums are not typically the place for hardware advice, as things change so quickly in the computing world.  But I will say that changing a heatsink should be dead simple.

Edit: After rereading your post, I see you have a Sandy Bridge.  I think that this may be a software issue more than you know.  Check this thread out
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1214694

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-01-07 07:10:59)

#3 2013-01-07 13:00:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Unless your current cooling hardware is somehow malfunctioning, you shouldn't need anything new.

In addition to the above link, the next steps I'd recommend would be simply cleaning out the current sink and fans.  Dust build up will prevent them from cooling efficiently.

Next, make sure the fans are being triggered appropriately.  With temps over the max temperature, every fan should be running at full speed - is this happening?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2013-01-07 16:59:17

anonymous_user

Generally you cannot "upgrade" a laptop's cooling solution; however, you can buy a cooling pad.

#5 2013-01-07 17:09:03

Lynden

It should be mentioned as well that laptop cpu's run hotter than their desktop counterparts.
My i7 (Laptop Asus N53SV) tops out at 80c under heavy usage which appearently they're capable of doing for several years by design.

But ye, if you're burning your legs then you should get a cooling pad xP

#6 2013-01-08 07:15:23

boblitz13

Thanks for the link, WonderWoofy. It actually looks like my regular CPU temperature is around average for most of the posters when they reported having no problems. In any case, it seems the general consensus is that there isn't a whole lot I can do about laptop heat solutions. Though my fan is definitely functioning, I'll take a look at the cooling system and see if it needs to be cleaned. Otherwise, I guess I'll just stay away from large compiling jobs on my laptop.

Board footer