You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-07 12:53:13

denisfalqueto

Video tutorial for installing Arch

This video is very funny and instructive at the same time. I think it deserves some kudos for the creativity. I didn't watch the whole video yet, so I can't really confirm the accuracy of the information, but he seems to follow the wiki, so he can't be very wrong smile

Satisfied users don't rant, so you'll never know how many of us there are.

#2 2013-01-07 13:03:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Video tutorial for installing Arch

denisfalqueto wrote:

... he seems to follow the wiki, so he can't be very wrong

Until next week - when things change.  This is why video guides are generally discouraged as they can't really be updated (only replaced).

That said, he is emphasizing the need to follow the wiki at the same time.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-01-07 13:06:19)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-01-07 16:02:34

DSpider

First of all, the video requires Flash player (I hate that crap).

Second, he's a bit clueless... VirtualBox gives you a wired connection based on the host OS's settings, and he says that he's on a wired connection. Lol. He also mentions 60 GB for root - which is a waste of space, if you ask me, and could slow things down over time, because it would make the HDD read head travel too much.  Then he went on and skipped generating a locale (which you should probably do anyway, even if you're in an English-speaking country), and specifically edited the sudoers file, instead of using something safe like:

# EDITOR=nano visudo

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2013-01-07 17:16:24

tomk
Forum Fellow

DSpider wrote:

First of all, the video requires Flash player (I hate that crap).

What? I thought any geek worthy of the name would have stopped using flash for youtube long ago.

Then again, that's offtopic, so feel free to ignore. smile

On topic, if you need a video to help you install Arch, you probably shouldn't be using Arch.

#5 2013-01-07 17:30:00

Antoine

DSpider wrote:

VirtualBox gives you a wired connection based on the host OS's settings, and he says that he's on a wired connection.

My VB is set to "Bridged Adapter" which gets it a DHCP lease from my router; it's virtually a separate "wired connection." If I set the host to use my VPN, my VB Arch isn't on that VPN, for instance.

#6 2013-01-07 17:54:44

DSpider

Antoine wrote:

My VB is set to "Bridged Adapter" which gets it a DHCP lease from my router; it's virtually a separate "wired connection." If I set the host to use my VPN, my VB Arch isn't on that VPN, for instance.

NAT is set by default, unless you explicitly want it in "Bridged Adapter" or anything like that.

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#7 2013-01-07 18:10:05

denisfalqueto

To be really honest... I've posted this because I laughed a lot when he showed up dressed like a woman! smile But the tutorial per se is not that bad. He goes talking while he is working through the installation. Maybe it's useful to a newbie that wishes to know the steps in a high level explanation.

Satisfied users don't rant, so you'll never know how many of us there are.

#8 2013-01-07 20:04:21

fschiff

who could forget the spaceship and when the alien showed up.

burping the national anthem

the weird aside about the olympics

DSpider wrote:

he's a bit clueless...

and drunk

#9 2013-01-08 06:42:15

DSpider

Shit, that's not even how you check the fstab. On a low resolution display (no KMS, like on real hardware), nano will crop the content. He "checked" the fstab and deduced that it looks fine, when in fact he should've scrolled those lines to the right and saw that the mount options needed trimming. This is a bad video tutorial. Leaving aside the bad attempt of a humour and crappy so-called "jokes", it's a tutorial done by an inexperienced user; the blind leading the blind. You really shouldn't be following it, because he did it for shits and giggles (the "archshittybox" hostname is a good indicator). He's an attention whore, like most of the other Youtubers.

Last edited by DSpider (2013-01-08 06:46:10)

#10 2013-01-08 09:15:56

10PinkPanther

Vote Spatry!
Video might be funny if I was 30 years younger.

Last edited by 10PinkPanther (2013-01-08 09:57:05)

#11 2013-01-08 09:53:24

satanselbow

I've been avoiding watching the video for a couple of days in the hope that it will just go away... but it keeps getting bumped to the top of the heap... sigh...

1) Whoever told him he is "funny" is just plain wrong or at the very least needs to take some time to reflect on their own life and where it all went wrong.
2) He gives himself away in the 1st 10 seconds by mentioning the "U" word.
3) Yes he gives the Arch Wiki a mention - but then continually ignores the important parts or passes them off as trivial.
4) What a dick...
5) Hunt him down and give him a copy of W8 - he'll be very happy with it I'm sure.

Just sayin' ...

#12 2013-01-08 10:16:39

flipper T

This video is ok & serves a purpose & in my own opinion, members here should be a lot less dickish.

Yes, there are errors, but none of them are irredemable

He repeatedly points out that you should refer to the wiki & shows how easy and quick it is to get a system up & running.

These kind of videos provide a confidence boost to potential new arch users who may be under the commonly held assumptions that arch is both difficult & time consuming to install.

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#13 2013-01-08 10:30:56

satanselbow

flipper T wrote:

This video is ok & serves a purpose & in my own opinion, members here should be a lot less dickish.

Nice attempt at a flame war - 10 out 10 for effort.

If "dickish" = "willing to see things done efficiently and correctly" I'll take that one on the chin wink

flipper T wrote:

These kind of videos provide a confidence boost to potential new arch users who may be under the commonly held assumptions that arch is both difficult & time consuming to install.

No. It will leave lots of users with largely broken systems and do keep lots of Ubuntu users, using Ubuntu. As the guy says himself - no-one watches his videos anyway - so it's a non argument.

PS - Nice that "Ubuntu" gets flagged as a typo big_smile

#14 2013-01-08 10:55:59

flipper T

satanselbow wrote:

4) What a dick...

Which definition were you using ?

ps calm down.

just saying...

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#15 2013-01-08 12:32:21

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

satanselbow wrote:

If "dickish" = "willing to see things done efficiently and correctly" I'll take that one on the chin wink

Oh dear, that would not be my idiom of choice here.  It sounds like a problem with depth percetion.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer