You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-09 08:39:56

linux2647

[SOLVED] Console Font Gets Reset During Boot

I've recently switched to Arch Linux and am quite happy with it.  I've never had so much fun with Linux until a friend recommended Arch.  I have since installed it on both my MacBook Pro and Mac mini.  Everything has been pretty smooth, but I do have one issue.

During the boot process, the system starts up with its default console font, per the usual.  I have edited /etc/vconsole.conf to set the font to Lat2-Terminus16 and to set the keyboard layout to Dvorak.  Here's my current config:

KEYMAP=dvorak
FONT=Lat2-Terminus16

Part-way through the boot process, the font switches to use the new font.  So far, so good.  Shortly after, however, the screen gets cleared and continues to produce normal kernel messages until the screen is cleared once again and presents the boot prompt, but with the default console font as opposed to the font in vconsole.conf.  I am able to re-set the font again by using the setfont command, but this is a bit of an inconvenience.  The keyboard layout, however, is as it should be: set to Dvorak.  So, systemd-vconsole-setup.service is doing its job.

I have narrowed down the problem to that when agetty starts, it seems to be resetting the font back to the default.  I have tried adding nouveau (my machines have Nvidia) to the array of modules within /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and rebuilding initramfs, but I get the same results.  I have also tried adding vconsole.font=Lat2-Terminus16 to the boot arguments in GRUB, but I get the same results.  This is affecting both of my machines.  I have updated them with pacman -Syu, but the problem still exists.

I have found a workaround which is to add a service to systemd (I call it fontfix.service), set it to start after getty.target, and have it included in multi-user.target.  But is there a better way?  Or is something else other than agetty resetting the font?

tl;dr
agetty appears to be resetting the console font after systemd-vconsole-setup.service sets the font.  Is there a way to have agetty recognize what console font is currently is use?  Or is something else other than agetty resetting the font?

Last edited by linux2647 (2013-01-10 07:30:30)

#2 2013-01-09 09:49:02

DSpider

Re: [SOLVED] Console Font Gets Reset During Boot

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2013-01-09 16:04:42

bohoomil
Website

Adding nouveau to your modules array was a good step. However, you may want to add 'consolefont' (without quotes) to your hooks, preferably as the first variable, and rebuild the image.

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#4 2013-01-10 07:30:11

linux2647

Adding consolefont to the list of hooks did the trick!  Thanks.

Board footer