You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-08 08:28:16

qKUqm3wtY4
Website

[Dual Monitors] Is One Workspace Per Monitor Possible?

I have dual monitors.  I want each individual monitor to act as it's own workspace.  I've been told Awesome Windows Manager is my best bet for accomplishing this.  How does Awesome handle notification based programs like Keepass, Skype, Transmission, etc?  I am used to XFCE and Fluxbox.  Is Awesome light weight like Fluxbox?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by qKUqm3wtY4 (2013-01-08 09:59:07)

I am a noob.  Ask me nothing.

#2 2013-01-08 08:56:55

SidK

Re: [Dual Monitors] Is One Workspace Per Monitor Possible?

I've never used awesome and I can't tell you how notifications are done, but for the question in the subject line, see Separate virtual desktops for different physical screens?

I use Xmonad, works wonderfully, so I assume awesome will do too, but I can't say how notifications are done.

Last edited by SidK (2013-01-08 08:58:59)

#3 2013-01-08 09:15:06

qKUqm3wtY4
Website

SidK wrote:

. . . I use Xmonad, works wonderfully, so I assume awesome will do too, but I can't say how notifications are done.

How does Xmonad handle notifications?  At worst I can just use Xmonad as my workstation wm and just switch back for leisure.  The thing is that I require skype while working.

Last edited by qKUqm3wtY4 (2013-01-08 09:32:56)

#4 2013-01-08 09:44:18

th3voic3

qKUqm3wtY4 wrote:

How does Awesome handle notification based programs like Keepass, Skype, Transmission, etc?

In the default configuration awesome already displays notifications in the upper right corner.

#5 2013-01-08 09:58:09

qKUqm3wtY4
Website

th3voic3 wrote:

In the default configuration awesome already displays notifications in the upper right corner.

Awesome...  Is it as lightweight as fluxbox or openbox?  This isn't a huge concern, but it would be a bonus if the answer is yes.

#6 2013-01-08 10:16:54

SidK

Define lightweight. See https://www.ohloh.net/p/fluxbox and https://www.ohloh.net/p/awesome
But if you mean the strain it places on your system, why not install it and find out? I suspect both fluxbox and awesome put a negligible strain on a standard computer.

#7 2013-01-08 10:41:47

qKUqm3wtY4
Website

SidK wrote:

Define lightweight. See https://www.ohloh.net/p/fluxbox and https://www.ohloh.net/p/awesome
But if you mean the strain it places on your system, why not install it and find out? I suspect both fluxbox and awesome put a negligible strain on a standard computer.

By lightweight, I mean non-resource hungry...  but, I see your point.  I will check them out and decide.

#8 2013-01-08 16:52:17

wuzzeb

I use xmonad, works great with one workspace per monitor.  For notifications, you have several options.  One is trayer, which presents a small system tray which would usually be combined with xmobar for the rest of the panel.  Another option, one I recommend if you are just starting out, is that you can run xmonad as the window manager for XFCE.  So you are still running XFCE and have the normal XFCE panel with all its features, just the window manager is xmonad.  You should probably start with this, and then try migrating to a full xmonad setup after you get the hang of it. See http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmon … ad_in_XFCE

#9 2013-01-08 17:10:58

chevy

If u want to stay with *box window manager I recommend u "openbox-multihead-git" package (it's a openbox fork with workspace per screen support). You will need to compile it by yourtself.

#10 2013-01-08 17:33:35

WonderWoofy

I use i3, and recently I wanted to see what kind of dual monitor support it has.  So I plugged my hdmi into my tv.  It works pretty great, and actually works by default just as you seem to want.

Of course, I think that you sound as though you seek a floating window manager. i3 is a tiling window manager primarily, but lets you float windows as well.  I am not sure what kind of user experience you would get if you just floated everything.  Also, I think that with many tiling window managers, minimizing windows is not a function (though I have heard that awesome is an exception).

#11 2013-01-09 18:54:46

ANOKNUSA

I may misunderstand you here, but is there a popular desktop environment or window manager that is not capable of this? 

Some examples I've used that can do what you're looking for:

KDE/Kwin
Openbox
GNOME/Mutter
Awesome
Subtle
i3
DWM
WMFS/WMFS2

Or are you asking to have only two workspaces maximum, with each monitor holding one?  Most WMs allow for that, as well

Last edited by ANOKNUSA (2013-01-09 18:57:59)

#12 2013-01-09 21:47:03

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

qKUqm3wtY4 wrote:

I have dual monitors.  I want each individual monitor to act as it's own workspace.  I've been told Awesome Windows Manager is my best bet for accomplishing this.  How does Awesome handle notification based programs like Keepass, Skype, Transmission, etc?  I am used to XFCE and Fluxbox.  Is Awesome light weight like Fluxbox?

Thanks in advance!

xmonad does one workspace per monitor out of the box, with the default config.

For notification, just install xfce4-notifyd and it will magically just work(tm)

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2013-01-09 21:48:03)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer