You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-09 22:13:21

4ZM
Website

[SOLVED] rEFInd, initrd or kernel params?

Trying to install arch on a lenovo x1 with UEFI boot and encrypted root. It started out rather promising, but now I'm stuck.

When booting, after the initial installation, the nice graphical rEFInd menu is displayed. But selecting the arch option (\EFI\arch\vmlinuz-arch.efi), the system hangs with the output:

Starting vmlinuz-arch.efi
Using load options 'vmlinuz-arch.efi cryptdevice=/dev/sda2:root root=/dev/mapper/root ro rootfstype=ext4 add_efi_memmap initrd=\EFI\arch\initramfs-arch.img'

I'm not sure if this is a problem with my rEFInd setup, with the initrd or with the kernel params.

Any ideas about what might be wrong or any suggestions on how to trouble shoot?

Some more details about my setup.

/dev/sda1 <- contains the UEFI boot partition.
/dev/sda2 <- large encrypted LUKS partition. No LVM, just ext4 on LUKS.

I can luksOpen/Close and mount the /dev/sda2, when I boot from the arch cd, so that part seems ok.

This is how I configured the efiboot:
efibootmgr -c -g -d /dev/sda -p 1 -w -L "rEFInd" -l '\EFI\refind\refindx64.efi'

refind_linux.conf:
"FuBoot"  "cryptdevice=/dev/sda2:root root=/dev/mapper/root ro rootfstype=ext4 add_efi_memmap"

mkinitcpio.conf:
MODULES=""
HOOKS="base udev autodetect block usbinput encrypt filesystems shutdown fsck"

Last edited by 4ZM (2013-01-10 07:36:17)

#2 2013-01-09 22:22:03

srs5694
Website

Re: [SOLVED] rEFInd, initrd or kernel params?

I'm not sure what's causing your problem, but you can cross efibootmgr off your list of suspects; the fact that rEFInd is starting means that your efibootmgr command succeeded.

If you're using a relatively old kernel (prior to 3.5.0, IIRC), then it should display an error message if it can't read its initrd file; but if your kernel is older than that, it might not do so. This means that if you're using an older kernel, the initrd specification might be off and it would produce exactly the behavior you describe. With a newer kernel, though, you can cross that possibility off the list and focus on your kernel options.

#3 2013-01-09 22:40:33

4ZM
Website

Thanks for helping me narrow it down.

uname when booting from the installation medium says: "Linux archiso 3.6.11-1-ARCH" so I'm guessing that I have at least a 3.6.11 kernel.

#4 2013-01-09 23:22:02

4ZM
Website

GHAA!

Turns out there is no error after all...

It didn't hang. It was waiting for the LUKS password (without prompting for it).

#5 2013-01-10 01:37:41

WonderWoofy

@4ZM, please mark your thread as solved.  You can do this by editing your first post and prepending [Solved] to the title.

Board footer