You are not logged in.

#1526 2012-12-11 00:28:55

ryzion

Re: Ranger, a textbased filemanager

ryzion wrote:
hut wrote:

[marquee]

I guess "draw_borders = True" is really only supported with "collapse_preview = False". It looks broken for me if I don't turn off the latter option. (ranger-1.5.5-master). I'll fix it at some point.

ryzion wrote:

I'm having trouble cutting(dd) and pasting(pp) large files (>800MB) to a mounted network share. 5-10 % of the file is stored to the new location, the old file still exists after op. any ideas? any information I can provide?

Does it happen every time? Maybe you stop the transfer with ctrl+C? Does it work with "!cp %c ." (while you are in the target directory in ranger)?

The error seemed to occur due to false permissions. The target directory was ro ... still don't understand why ranger copied the first 10%....

Something completely different: Is it possible to yank a selection in multiple directories? eg: file "foo" in home and file "bar" in /home/dir?(booth files are selected via <space>

Seems it hadn't anything to do with permissions.... I still can't copy files safely to my cifs share... I didn't stop the transfer with ctrl-c. ranger shows a red warning at the bottom left: closing mv i/o error

I've also tried starting ranger with --debug, same behavior, ranger doesn't quit.

During my testing I've also lost one file, ranger returned the i/o error, deleted the original file and left me with the stub...

Last edited by ryzion (2012-12-11 00:48:41)

#1527 2012-12-11 21:38:09

hut
Website

@ryzion: I think I patched the bug that deleted your file even though it was not successfully transferred. I also uploaded a patch that should - even in your case - make ranger print a traceback if you start it with --debug. Unfortunately I can't test any of it since this problem never occured to me.

EDIT: I should add that you can use the patches by getting ranger from git, for example by installing the aur package "ranger-git"

Last edited by hut (2012-12-11 22:10:59)

"hut_" or "h00th00t" in irc.freenode.net #archlinux
Ranger Mailing List: https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ranger-users

#1528 2012-12-12 12:45:12

Army

Hi, the recent commit of ranger crashes if I have an options.py in ~/.config/ranger.

ranger version: 1.5.5, executed with python 3.3.0
Locale: en_US.UTF-8
Current file: None
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/ranger/core/main.py", line 92, in main
    load_settings(fm, arg.clean)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/ranger/core/main.py", line 291, in load_settings
    module = __import__('options')
ImportError: No module named 'options'

I tried it with my options.py

autosave_bookmarks = False
preview_files = False
padding_right = False
mouse_enabled = False

and an empty one created with "touch options.py".

Is this a bug?

edit: No it's not, this goes into rc.conf. Seems like I forgot about this.. wink

Last edited by Army (2012-12-12 18:17:15)

#1529 2012-12-12 22:26:06

ryzion

hut wrote:

@ryzion: I think I patched the bug that deleted your file even though it was not successfully transferred. I also uploaded a patch that should - even in your case - make ranger print a traceback if you start it with --debug. Unfortunately I can't test any of it since this problem never occured to me.

EDIT: I should add that you can use the patches by getting ranger from git, for example by installing the aur package "ranger-git"

Hi, thanks a lot! The git version seems to work fine. I've copied a lot of huge files flawlessly. Working with thunar the last days almost drove me mad...

Is there a way to queue filetransfers so that I can copy/move files while another transfer is in progress?

Last edited by ryzion (2012-12-12 22:26:31)

#1530 2012-12-17 01:46:12

ImbaLocus

I've been using ranger for a cpl of months now. I find it being fast and slim greatly appealing.

Yet, a couple of days ago, my first delete, my first mishap.
I was in full cli-fu mode and as such when wanting to delete a folder i typed ":delete foldername"
What happened was NOT what I intended. Instead of deleting 'foldername', ranger deleted my currently selected folder.
Restored whatever was possible although, that's not the point.

I checked the man and sure enough, there's no such command as the one I tried.
:delete does delete either selected entries or what simply is currently selected.
No bug.

Although, perhaps, making this more explicit might help prevent mishaps like mine.
As it is now; one actually has to have READ the man to not screw a delete over.

Maybe;
a) if arguments are provided to delete, either parse and delete accordingly or give error and do nothing
b) have unselected delete SELECT the entry when confirming (for the visual feedback)

Still though, ranger is fantastic

Another thing, how come ranger asks for confirmation when deleting intentionally selected entries but not when deleting currently selected entry?

#1531 2012-12-17 07:22:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ImbaLocus wrote:

Another thing, how come ranger asks for confirmation when deleting intentionally selected entries but not when deleting currently selected entry?

Agree that this should be done, or at least optional.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#1532 2012-12-17 08:03:38

mentat
Website

ngoonee wrote:

"Unix never says 'please'." – Rob Pike
So please, if you add confirmation mechanism make it optional.
I see the delete seriously? mechanism as good for 90 percent use cases.

Last edited by mentat (2012-12-17 08:04:56)

#1533 2012-12-25 20:29:32

Army

In the status bar I have for example

-rw-r--r-- 1 army users 348 M 2012-11-29 10:16                               29.2G sum, 70.8G free  53/131  43%

(without code tags, so I can highlight the important part)

I think it would be better to remove the space between the value and the unit

-rw-r--r-- 1 army users 348M 2012-11-29 10:16                               29.2G sum, 70.8G free  53/131  43%

#1534 2012-12-25 21:53:43

Ape
Website

Is there a way to see progress and speed when copying a large file with ranger?

#1535 2012-12-25 22:49:13

Army

In ranger-git you see the progress, but not the speed. If you use ranger from the repos (I guess this version doesn't show the progess yet), give ranger-git from the AUR a try and see if you like this implementation.

#1536 2012-12-29 03:38:27

ImbaLocus

mentat wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

"Unix never says 'please'." – Rob Pike
So please, if you add confirmation mechanism make it optional.
I see the delete seriously? mechanism as good for 90 percent use cases.

Since my first unselected/singleselected delete I've come to do many more and I do appreciate to unconfirmingly delete single files, it does very much optimize my workflow.
Since one does have to type :delete to delete and there always is a selection then :delete works as a confirmation and the question of the multiselected delete becomes "confirm your selections".
To make it optional perhans one way would be to make "delete" always ask for confirmation and add another command "delete_noconfirm" or something (name starting with "delete", tabable from ":delete") which does not confirm.

Regarding delete with parameters, ":delete name_of_actual_but_non_selected_file" really should not delete selected file. Because, why else would one have provided an argument?
Perhaps either show an error or delete name_of_actual_but_non_selected_file.

#1537 2012-12-29 14:52:29

hut
Website

ryzion wrote:

Is there a way to queue filetransfers so that I can copy/move files while another transfer is in progress?

ranger does this automatically. It only copies one thing at a time, and if you copy something else, the existing copying process is paused and pushed back in the queue to run the new copying process.

ImbaLocus wrote:

I checked the man and sure enough, there's no such command as the one I tried.
:delete does delete either selected entries or what simply is currently selected.
No bug.

Well this is not ubuntu init scripts, so it actually IS a bug when ranger deletes unexpected files if you give it invalid arguments. I don't have much time atm though, I hope a fix can wait for a few days.

Army wrote:

I think it would be better to remove the space between the value and the unit

I'll do that.

By the way guys, I'm currently at the 29c3. If you are also there and like to meet me to talk about ranger or something, write me a mail or a query to hut_ at freenode. :D

#1538 2012-12-29 16:10:27

Army

hut wrote:

By the way guys, I'm currently at the 29c3. If you are also there and like to meet me to talk about ranger or something, write me a mail or a query to hut_ at freenode. big_smile

That would have been nice, but unfortunately I'm a Schwabe from Baden-Württemberg and Hamburg is too far away, so no, I'm not there.

#1539 2013-01-02 13:23:45

ganastasiou

hut wrote:
TheLemonMan wrote:
starstuff wrote:

btw, why is your owl have only one foot?

It's a Hoothoot, never played Pokémon Silver/Gold ? tongue
Anyway, yesterday I copied an huge amount of data between disks and it was painful not having an indication of the progress.
I'd say to use rsync or cp with -v switch and parsing the output to be shown in the task window, maybe as a progressbar.

I dug up some old code from v1.2.3 where ranger had its own implementation of copying/moving. It turned out to be rather simple to add progressbar support to that implementation, though it has some drawbacks too. [see https://github.com/hut/ranger/commit/19 … 84bbd2e3b1]

There is a progressbar at the bottom which displays an average of all the progress bars of the currently running tasks, you can view individual progressbars and tasks in the task view (press w). In the task view you can move (j/k), reassign priorities (J/K) and kill tasks (dd). Only one task will run at a time.

There is also a new option:

# Draw a progress bar in the status bar which displays the average state of all
# currently running tasks which support progress bars?
draw_progress_bar_in_status_bar = True

EDIT: I should mention that you (if you use ranger-git anyway) should be extra careful and confirm yourself that after the upgrade, copying and moving works as expected on your machine before you copy/move around important files, since it is not thoroughly tested yet.

I tried to use the draw_progress_bar_in_status_bar in my gentoo machine, but i dont know where the probress bar apears, the version is 1.5.5. I tried both move/copy but none progress bar appears. Can you point me in which tasks does it appear ??

Thanks.

#1540 2013-01-03 05:47:03

darkfeline

I wrote a quick python script for previewing torrent files.  Shameless plug, but hopefully somebody will find it useful.  It depends on python2 and python2-bencode from the AUR.

https://github.com/darkfeline/torrent-preview

#1541 2013-01-05 12:06:10

pielgrzym

hut, wonderfull filemanager! Great job!

Got two questions:

1. When I first ran ranger inside tmux session I noticed a cool behavior: after some navigating in ranger when I opened new tmux window the shell was already in directory that I previously had opened in ranger's current tab. This fantastic behavior is now gone and I don't know if it's me updating ranger-git, me changing some magic ranger config opt, tmux opt or just God punishing me wink
2. hut, do you consider rewriting ranger to use Urwid? This would enable using 256 colors in colorschemes which would greatly improve filetype coloring thus making ranger experience even better smile I've got used to amazing colors trapd00r made for zsh and I miss them in ranger smile If you need hand I'd be glad to try my python skills in such task smile

#1542 2013-01-07 00:46:16

Bonster

Anyone know what script this is to show images in ranger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgBmKjp87JI

#1543 2013-01-07 01:08:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Looks like a frame buffer image viewer like fbi (extra/fbida).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#1544 2013-01-07 01:17:51

pielgrzym

Bonster

It's w3m, w3mimgdisplay to be precise. You can install it with: pacman -S w3m

Look here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@ … 34445.html
Also here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@ … 34447.html

Trilby, fbi will work with urxvt? Mine complains about VT_GETSTATE sad

Last edited by pielgrzym (2013-01-07 01:33:02)

#1545 2013-01-07 08:55:20

Bonster

yea the title already says what he is using, just wondering if any1 knew the script for it to work with ranger

#1546 2013-01-08 12:47:31

miek
Website

darkfeline wrote:

I wrote a quick python script for previewing torrent files.  Shameless plug, but hopefully somebody will find it useful.  It depends on python2 and python2-bencode from the AUR.

https://github.com/darkfeline/torrent-preview

What does your script show about the torrent files? Number of seeders/leechers and metadata?

#1547 2013-01-10 03:38:16

hut
Website

pielgrzym wrote:

hut, wonderfull filemanager! Great job!

Got two questions:

1. When I first ran ranger inside tmux session I noticed a cool behavior: after some navigating in ranger when I opened new tmux window the shell was already in directory that I previously had opened in ranger's current tab. This fantastic behavior is now gone and I don't know if it's me updating ranger-git, me changing some magic ranger config opt, tmux opt or just God punishing me wink
2. hut, do you consider rewriting ranger to use Urwid? This would enable using 256 colors in colorschemes which would greatly improve filetype coloring thus making ranger experience even better smile I've got used to amazing colors trapd00r made for zsh and I miss them in ranger smile If you need hand I'd be glad to try my python skills in such task smile

Thanks.

1. There's no feature like that. Maybe you started tmux in a directory X that's different from your home directory and forgot it after browsing around with ranger for a while. Later when you opened a new window, the shell was still in directory X even though you expected the home directory, and coincidently ranger was also in directory X. ranger was probably not related to it in any way.

There is a similar feature though documented in examples/bash_automatic_cd.sh that changes the directory of the current shell when you quit ranger.

2. I don't know Urwid, but you can already use 256 colors in colorschemes. Simply write fg = 123 instead of fg = blue in the colorscheme. Ranger's source includes a tool - doc/print_colors.py - that prints all usable colors.

[EDIT]
@ImbaLocus: The delete command now fails if you give it any arguments. Also, when it asks for a confirmation, it now displays all the files that it attempts to delete so you know what's happening. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I didn't think of that it would be intuitive to use ":delete <filename>" for some people.

@Bonster: /me slaps the author of that video around a bit with a huge trout for not sharing it with us. Damn, we could have this feature a year ago already.

Last edited by hut (2013-01-10 03:51:45)

#1548 2013-01-10 18:24:19

PotatoesMaster

I tried to play with w3mimgdisplay to reproduce the image preview behaviour shown in the video..
But it does not work, for several reasons:

1. Ranger does not expect a preview script to do anything apart from producing text on standard output.

2. Ranger caches the file preview, so the script is called once per file. Thus, and because w3mimgdisplay's magic is not text, the image is drawn only once (related to 1).

3. Ranger caches the right column preview and the full preview (the one accessible by pressing 'i') one after the other, so the image is drawn at two different sizes (related to 1).

4. The display is not refreshed after previewing a file. Glitches are left behind.

5. If the terminal window is hidden (minimized, for example), the previously drawn image disappears.

6. The scope.sh script cannot know the real terminal size, only the size of the preview pane.

Maybe it can be done better with a plugin (adding a hook function for get_preview would be nice for that).

But… I have a problem with plugins. I created the file ~/.config/ranger/plugins/plugin_extra_archives.py and it is not loaded. The following appears in the log view

Message Log:
ranger 1.5.5 started! Process ID is 4261.
Running on Python 3.3.0 (default, Dec 22 2012, 21:02:07) [GCC 4.7.2]
Error in plugin 'plugin_extra_archives'
ImportError: No module named 'plugins'

Here is the location of the error: main.py, l.279.

Last edited by PotatoesMaster (2013-01-10 20:04:45)

#1549 2013-01-11 20:10:57

hut
Website

Plugins work for me. Is that the newest ranger-git version? Does ~/.config/ranger/plugins/__init__.py exist? (it should've been created automatically)

About the numbers you listed: Everything except of 5 can probably be fixed, but I'd like to keep it simple and only read stdout from scope.sh for now

#1550 2013-01-11 21:16:29

PotatoesMaster

hut wrote:

Is that the newest ranger-git version? Does ~/.config/ranger/plugins/__init__.py exist?

Yes, sir.

After some investigation, plugins are not loaded when I use a custom colorscheme from ~/.config/colorschemes. The colorscheme is loaded without problem, though. I copied the default to be sure mine is not to blame. smile

Last edited by PotatoesMaster (2013-01-11 21:20:02)

Board footer