You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-10 20:03:52

appleworm

Wrong screen resolution

I know, this is a common problem, but after hours of googling and browsing Wiki and Forums I haven't fixed it. So...

I'm running the latest Arch + KDE on my new laptop, which has AMD graphics card and the display native resolution is 1366x768. But the system can't recognize it, so it runs at "default" configuration (1024*768) and I am not able to change it. It is a bit annoying, but I think I have tried almost everything. I have the open source ATI drivers installed. I have also MODULES="radeon" setting in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.

First thing I tried was adding the resolution using xrandr. I did the --addmode and --newmode, but --output gave me this error : xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed and after reboot, the added resolution disappeared from xrandr list, leaving "1024x768" as the only option.

I think I have some problems with the drivers than. What should I do to get them working properly ? Or is there any interference with VESA ? Even with the MODULES="radeon" setting ? Also, when I plug in an external 24" (1920x1080) monitor, still recognized just as "default" with 1024x768. I'm stuck. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

#2 2013-01-10 20:16:02

masteryod

Re: Wrong screen resolution

What drivers did you install exactly? Paste output of pacman -Qs xf86-video. And what glxinfo | grep -i render command returns? What's the situation with xorg.conf file? Paste somewhere (pasteall.org, pastie.org etc) content of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and give us link to it.

Also try to search "error : xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed"

Last edited by masteryod (2013-01-10 20:20:40)

#3 2013-01-10 20:49:39

appleworm

Output of pacman -Qs xf86-video :

local/xf86-video-ati 1:7.0.0-1 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.org ati video driver
local/xf86-video-trident 1.3.6-3 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.org Trident video driver
local/xf86-video-vesa 2.3.2-2 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.org vesa video driver

However...

bash: glxinfo: command not found

???

Xorg.0.log : http://pastebin.com/jyCPCXdy

There was no Xorg.conf file before. So I generated one (unfortunately don't remember the command) and I have tried manually edit it, but it didn't help. I think I did it wrong...

Xorg.conf : http://pastebin.com/qaMWycbF

And I have searched the Xrandr error before, but no topic helped me to fix my problem. That's why I am here. I always do googling before I ask :-)

#4 2013-01-10 21:19:05

Gusar

You've put radeon into the initramfs, but not the firmware. If you check dmesg, you'll see a failed firmware load attempt. So either put the required firmware into the initramfs, or remove radeon from it.

#5 2013-01-10 22:50:18

masteryod

appleworm wrote:

local/xf86-video-trident 1.3.6-3 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.org Trident video driver

What encouraged you to install drivers for Trident cards? You most probably don't need it (it shouldn't interfere but there's no point of having mess on your system)

appleworm wrote:

bash: glxinfo: command not found

If command is not found it means that it's not found on your computer i.e. most probably program is not installed. You need to install mesa-demos package.

appleworm wrote:

There was no Xorg.conf file before. So I generated one (unfortunately don't remember the command) and I have tried manually edit it, but it didn't help. I think I did it wrong...

Because nowadays xorg.conf is not mandatory. Although in many cases you'll need it. If you think you did it wrong go and read wiki about it and do it again right wink Talking that you did it wrong won't help anybody.

appleworm wrote:

And I have searched the Xrandr error before, but no topic helped me to fix my problem. That's why I am here. I always do googling before I ask :-)

Very good, also try to read logs. Oh, and my earlier post was kind of introduction to forums because you're new - basic lesson is: give people as many meaningful information about the problem as you can, hence logs questions, drivers etc. This way people will be in better position to help you.

Last edited by masteryod (2013-01-10 22:51:24)

#6 2013-01-10 23:51:31

Lone_Wolf

from your xorg.0.log :

[     2.375] (II) [KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported.

something might be wrong with your initramfs setup, please post /etc/mkinitcpio.conf .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2013-01-11 00:11:49

appleworm

1)Trident removed, no effect.

2)Dmesg : http://pastebin.com/aLCU3UP3 Where should I see the errors ? I can't see any errors, related to my problems. And where should I add the "firmware" ? I have tried the "HOOKS", but it gave me an error : "ERROR: Hook 'firmware' cannot be found" when running sudo mkinitcpio -p linux.

3) mesa-demos installed, http://pastebin.com/ysHE1fqg - glxinfo.

4)OK, as I post above, I have edited the "HOOKS", so here is the edited version of my mkinitcpio.conf (not working, as above) : http://pastebin.com/2QQ9pusp

Thank you for all replies !

#8 2013-01-11 00:36:37

Gusar

There's nothing at all about radeon in that dmesg output. That's just weird. Is the radeon module loaded? If not, what does dmesg say after you try to manually load it?

Edit: Did you at one point install the catalyst driver? If yes, you might have a file in /etc/modprobe.d or /usr/lib/modprobe.d that blacklists the radeon module. If so, remove that.

Last edited by Gusar (2013-01-11 09:56:36)

#9 2013-01-11 09:19:51

DSpider

appleworm wrote:

Xorg.conf : http://pastebin.com/qaMWycbF

Wait a minute, you have three cards?? And a combination of radeon an vesa... which isn't good. Either you use one or the other.

I suggest you move/rename the xorg.conf file somewhere and create a proper 10-monitor.conf file.

# mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
# nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf

Here's mine (obviously, replace nouveau with radeon):

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "DELL"
    ModelName      "U2311H"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 83.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 76.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nouveau"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Don't worry about the desktop resolution; the open-source ATI driver will set it to the default (native) resolution based on your monitor's EDID info.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#10 2013-01-11 09:57:52

appleworm

"sudo modprobe radeon" leads to black screen. CTRL+ALT+F1, then CTRL+ALT+F7 fixed it again, but everything is so slow now !

This is the new dmesg : http://pastebin.com/7syEPG8f.

modprobe.d directory is empty.

I will try to mess a bit with the Xorg.config.d, but I think the problem is in drivers.

Edit : Creating a file in Xorg.config.d leads to Xorg failure at booting. But when I removed it (just logged in tty1 and did "sudo rm ...), it works again...but still with the bad screen resolution, of course.

Last edited by appleworm (2013-01-11 10:21:21)

#11 2013-01-11 10:47:01

Gusar

You have radeon blacklisted somewhere. If not in /etc/modprobe.d, then in /usr/lib/modprobe.d. I don't see why it wouldn't load on it's own if that's not the case. That dmesg output is interesting. Do you have two radeon cards in there? That's a setup I don't have experience in, so good luck getting it running smile

#12 2013-01-11 11:52:27

appleworm

Wow, something is happening...but not sure if it was not trap big_smile Well, there was a catalyst.conf "blacklist file" in /usr/lib/modprobe.d. I have removed it and rebooted...however...

When PC started, the screen was just flickering (every 2 seconds), it was black with "something colorful" in the right corner. After 10 seconds the flickering stopped and I could see the mouse cursor. I tried a "blind login", because when I moved the cursor to the place, where the "enter password" should be, I have entered the right password and pressed enter. It must be the right one, because the screen started flickering again - every 2 seconds...the cursor disappeared...and after about two minutes the laptop froze sad no CTRL+ALT+F1 helped, I couldn't enter the tty1 (I could, before it was stuck), just hard shutdown helped sad...well, what now ? big_smile

And yes, I have two radeon cards there - one is integrated in A4-3300 APU and the second one is HD6650. It took me long time to get it working even on Xubuntu, but on Arch it's quite challenging :-) I thing some logs may store interesting information right now, but how to post them ? Should I try it with Lynx ? big_smile Well, some things are quite difficult without GUI...

Last edited by appleworm (2013-01-11 12:04:59)

#13 2013-01-11 12:07:34

appleworm

appleworm wrote:

Wow, something is happening...but not sure if it was not trap big_smile Well, there was a catalyst.conf "blacklist file" in /usr/lib/modprobe.d. I have removed it and rebooted...however...

When PC started, the screen was just flickering (every 2 seconds), it was black with "something colorful" in the right corner. After 10 seconds the flickering stopped and I could see the mouse cursor. I tried a "blind login", because when I moved the cursor to the place, where the "enter password" should be, I have entered the right password and pressed enter. It must be the right one, because the screen started flickering again - every 2 seconds...the cursor disappeared...and after about two minutes the laptop froze sad no CTRL+ALT+F1 helped, I couldn't enter the tty1 (I could, before it was stuck), just hard shutdown helped sad...well, what now ? big_smile

And yes, I have two radeon cards there - one is integrated in A4-3300 APU and the second one is HD6650. It took me long time to get it working even on Xubuntu, but on Arch it's quite challenging :-) I thing some logs may store interesting information right now, but how to post them ? Should I try it with Lynx ? big_smile Well, some things are quite difficult without GUI...

EDIT : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AT … spend_in_X Well, I should try this...I'll post the result.

Edit 2 : Sorry for double post sad

Last edited by appleworm (2013-01-11 12:08:16)

#14 2013-01-11 12:11:03

DSpider

appleworm wrote:

I thing some logs may store interesting information right now, but how to post them ? Should I try it with Lynx ? big_smile Well, some things are quite difficult without GUI...

See:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … leshooting

# pacman -S wgetpaste
$ wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.0.log

There's also http://sprunge.us.

$ curl sprunge.us -F sprunge=@/var/log/Xorg.0.log

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#15 2013-01-11 13:21:03

appleworm

OK, here is the log : https://gist.github.com/4510559

When I enter "startx" to tty1, it is stuck on "Loading extension GLX" and the screen flashes every 2-3 seconds and after 2-3 minutes the laptop freezes.

Edit : What does this mean ? "(WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa" (from the log).

Last edited by appleworm (2013-01-11 13:22:53)

#16 2013-01-11 20:12:04

Lone_Wolf

Vesa doesn't support EDID, so X has to use an older probe method.
The message is harmless.

I guess this is a laptop with an amd apu AND a discrete ATI videocard (HD 6550) ?

A friend of mine has a HP laptop with a similar setup.

Either way, i have some recommendations for you :

-  Upgrade your bios
NOTE : this tends to be easiest from windows

- check your bios settings carefully , on some systems it's possible to disable the built-in card and only use the discrete one

- switch to the latest kernel available ( 3.7.1-2 in testing, or even a 3.8 RC kernel)

- for testing X, don't use KDE.
instead login as root on tty1 and run startx there.
This will start a minimal WM configuration, get that working first.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#17 2013-01-11 20:57:16

appleworm

My BIOS version is up to date. I have A4-3300M with integrated graphics + discrete HD6650M, as I wrote above.

I don't use KDE right now, I was trying to get "startx" working, but no success.

I will try to disable the card, but I think there is no option like that.

Edit : As I thought - the BIOS options are very limited - I can set just time, password and boot priority sad. And I don't see any sense in disabling one of the cards - the integrated is for power saving and the discrete is for best performance (not on battery). I have got it working on Xubuntu, so there must be possibility to get it working also on Arch, is it right ?

Edit 2 : By the way, the Xorg looks just the same as KDE right now - I can see the cursor, I can even move it, but the screen is black and there are some colors and a few characters in the right top corner. And it flashes every 3 seconds. I am also getting message "GPU lockup CP stall for more than 10000msec" - trying to google it right now...

Edit 3 : I don't know if that will help anyone to solve this problem, but there are another errors :

[drm:r600_ib_test] *ERROR* radeon: fence wait failed (-35).
[drm:radeon_ib_ring_tests] *ERROR* radeon: failed testing IB on GFX ring
(-35).
radeon 0000:01:00.0: ib ring test failed (-35).
*ERROR* radeon: cp failed to get scratch reg (-22)
*ERROR* evergreen startup failed on resume

When googling, I came across this : http://askubuntu.com/questions/142506/h … o-discrete. Is it possible that the system just can't decide, which card to use ? If so, how do I set it up ?

Last edited by appleworm (2013-01-11 22:39:49)

#18 2013-01-12 19:53:05

appleworm

BUMP.

I have blacklisted it again to be able work in linux. Do you have some idea, how to solve this problem ? I will post any log you need, but I am quite desperate.

Another question - should I consider trying Catalyst drivers instead ?

Thank you for your help, but the problem is still not solved and it takes a lot of my time.

#19 2013-01-12 21:31:19

appleworm

Hmm, tried Catalyst, followed the wiki...and this is the result : https://gist.github.com/4520509

Unable to start Xorg, still able to access tty.

EDIT : When I disable xorg.conf file, it works -_- strange... this is the xorg.conf file, generated with "aticonfig --initial" : http://pastebin.com/RLpndZkG

lsmod | grep fglrx - no output sad

Also unable to start Catalyst Control Center. But "aticonfig --list-adapters" works and prints following :

* 0. 00:01.0 AMD Radeon HD 6480G
  1. 01:00.0 AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series

* - Default adapter

It seems I am still on VESA right now. The only driver that works...not really well, but works. Still no display settings available...actual Xorg.0.log : http://pastebin.com/NBEjyfKz

Thank you for any help !

Last edited by appleworm (2013-01-12 22:08:53)

#20 2013-01-12 22:07:53

DSpider

appleworm wrote:

BUMP.

"Bumping" is not allowed on this forum.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … te#Bumping

Black screen sounds to me like this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AM … _or_startx

You need to configure your xorg.conf file to use the two graphic cards. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AM … the_driver

#21 2013-01-12 22:20:49

appleworm

I am really sorry, but as you can see, I am trying not just BUMP, but also provide another information. OK, next time I will not use word "BUMP". I am very glad that you provide me a lot of informations and tips and as you can see, I am not prepared to give up fixing my problem.

I have nomodeset in my kernel options line, it was one of the parts of the drivers installation. And as you can see, in the log that I have post in my last post, there is something like :

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[   131.029]
Fatal server error:
[   131.029] no screens found
[   131.029] (EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
     at http://wiki.x.org
for help.

This disappears, when I move the xorg.conf file. And I am then able to start Xorg, but with VESA. The log is there : https://gist.github.com/4520509.

#22 2013-01-13 00:34:16

appleworm

OK, during the installation I have missed one (at least I think) important error :

Your kernel headers for kernel 3.6.10-1-ARCH cannot be found at
/usr/lib/modules/3.6.10-1-ARCH/build or /usr/lib/modules/3.6.10-1-ARCH/source.
error: command failed to execute correctly

I also want to try Catalyst 12.11 beta from AUR, so I have tried yaourt, but I have got the same error as above. I should get the drivers working at first, then I can "play" with xorg.conf.

I will try pacman -Syu to update my system (I have KDE, so it can take a long time to download these 700MB of packages), and if it doesn't help, I will try to google the problem. I think I am on the right way now :-)

#23 2013-01-13 01:41:36

appleworm

OK, installed succesfully. Now at least I get an output of lsmod | grep fglrx.

fglrx                5083345  0
amd_iommu_v2            7368  1 fglrx
button                  4663  1 fglrx

I have created xorg.conf with "aticonfig --initial" and rebooted. However, black screen appeared. I have switched to tty and here is the Xorg.0.log : https://gist.github.com/4521646

(WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@0:1:0) found - // this one looks suspicious -_-
...and this followed :

(WW) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version does *not* match driver.
[     4.124] (EE) fglrx(0): incompatible kernel module detected - HW accelerated OpenGL will not work
[     4.124] (EE)
[     4.124] (EE) Backtrace:
[     4.127] (EE) 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x36) [0x58a426]
[     4.127] (EE) 1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x18e279) [0x58e279]
[     4.127] (EE) 2: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f40ce2b2000+0xf1e0) [0x7f40ce2c11e0]
[     4.127] (EE) 3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so (swlDrmFreeSurfaces+0x42) [0x7f40cb72a022]
[     4.127] (EE) 4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so (xdl_xs113_atiddxDriCloseScreen+0x14d) [0x7f40cb6f49ed]
[     4.127] (EE) 5: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so (xdl_xs113_atiddxDriScreenInit+0x8b8) [0x7f40cb6f40a8]
[     4.127] (EE) 6: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so (xdl_xs113_atiddxScreenInit+0xaf9) [0x7f40cb6ee3a9]
[     4.128] (EE) 7: /usr/bin/X (AddScreen+0x85) [0x4380f5]
[     4.128] (EE) 8: /usr/bin/X (InitOutput+0x3f3) [0x4798a3]
[     4.128] (EE) 9: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x26786) [0x426786]
[     4.128] (EE) 10: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7f40ccf36a15]
[     4.128] (EE) 11: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x26cad) [0x426cad]
[     4.128] (EE)
[     4.128] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x888
[     4.128]
Fatal server error:
[     4.128] Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

Well, googling continues... sad

#24 2013-01-13 07:26:54

DSpider

I have nomodeset in my kernel options line, it was one of the parts of the drivers installation.

Which bootloader? GRUB? Maybe you forgot to re-generate a new grub.conf after editing /etc/default/grub. That's usually the reason for a black screen.

I think you need to configure an xorg.conf to use both graphics chipsets, based on the PCI:0:whatever that the Xorg.0.log mentions.

Last edited by DSpider (2013-01-13 07:28:22)

#25 2013-01-13 11:24:16

appleworm

DSpider wrote:

I have nomodeset in my kernel options line, it was one of the parts of the drivers installation.

Which bootloader? GRUB? Maybe you forgot to re-generate a new grub.conf after editing /etc/default/grub. That's usually the reason for a black screen.

I think you need to configure an xorg.conf to use both graphics chipsets, based on the PCI:0:whatever that the Xorg.0.log mentions.

No, I haven not forget it. I wrote that I've followed the wiki.

But HOW should the xorg.conf look ? This is the question.

Do you think that trying different kernel would help ? For example linux-lts ?

Thank you for your answers.

Board footer