You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-10 16:02:40

domanov

[SOLVED] qt and gtk programs hanging for seconds, minutes

Hallo all,

I experience since a while (can't track it back, but it started a couple months ago, probably after migration to systemd) a strange and mildly annoying behavior. Almost all graphical programs either needs a couple minutes to start up - kde programs, like kate and konqueror - or randomly hang for a minute or so (firefox, thunderbird), I believe unrelated to flash plugin. emacs doesn't hang.

Setup is: arch 64, no testing, systemd, dual head, ati graphic with open drivers. This pc got installed in 2008 and I always updated it. I already cycled through all .pacnew configs in /etc and in ~/.config/; loopback is up and running, ipv6 disabled by kernel command line, network is ethernet static configured with netcfg.

Any hint is much appreciated: where should I possibly look for in order to solve this problem? Some log??

Greets,
domanov

Last edited by domanov (2013-01-11 19:52:33)

#2 2013-01-10 20:32:43

CommanderC

Re: [SOLVED] qt and gtk programs hanging for seconds, minutes

Have you tried making a new user account? Does it happen with other DE/WM?

Last edited by CommanderC (2013-01-10 20:33:35)

#3 2013-01-10 21:11:04

astenorh

When running those applications from command line do you notice some strange errors?

Also if you think systemd is behind it could you list the services you are running!

#4 2013-01-11 11:33:08

domanov

@CommanderC yes I tried with a new user account. Same hanging in firefox, not in KDE applications. Other DEs... I didn't check yet (it's my pc at work, I cannot afford to "loose" so much time on trying new programs. But on weekend...)

@astenorh, no, that is the problem: no "strange" error message, also on KDE's program no log about any timeout or expiring request...

#5 2013-01-11 19:15:08

CommanderC

It seems that deleting ~/.kde is the solution to one of your problems. Have you tested firefox without any plugins/extensions? Some months ago, I had crashes in firefox. I had to remove my extensions one by one until I discovered which one was the culprit.

#6 2013-01-11 19:24:19

domanov

@CommanderC, I had already deleted .kde and .kde4 on my old user $HOME, and also .gconf, .gnome, .gnome2 but it didn't solve the issue.

Following your advice I just tried to launch gnome and kde both with my usual user and with a new one and... neither of them would start! So I probably have to go through the wikis to check if everything is fine on my side (installed packages, configurations...) before reporting here.

Thanks nonetheless.

#7 2013-01-11 19:57:26

domanov

Found it! It was a polkit problem.

there was another group in with ID 102 in my /etc/group, so the install script of polkit failed. I found it looking into errors in journalctl, and I found many entries giving problems with Authorization Manager... then googled it and found here in the bbs a similar case. Deleted that group entry, reinstalled polkit, done! Now KDE starts again with my "old" user, inside fluxbox the KDE apps launch instantaneously and... until now no hanging in firefox.

Much appreciated your help!
Life is good. Nice weekend to everybody smile

Board footer