You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-11 13:12:26

skipperx

Keyboard hesitation in Macbookpro

It is a recent install on a Macbookpro 9,2 in dual boot with OSX. When I start using the computer after installation, I am getting some erratic hesitation in keyboard input. For example, while I am typing in xterm, it would stop displaying in the terminal at random for about 4~5 key strokes. I keep typing and then it would display them all and catch up and continue. It would do it every few minutes. It feels as though the computer has to take a break from showing my keyboard input to attend to something else and then come back to keyboard. It is very annoying to work with. I think the touchpad input is having the same problem, but I am less certain.

I am booting through refind without grub and using xfce. I also installed laptop-mode tools to save power. I have read around a bit and could not figure out what is wrong. Can someone shed some light? Thank you.

#2 2013-01-11 13:14:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Keyboard hesitation in Macbookpro

This is not a keyboard problem, this is a lag in X, most likely do to high cpu load.

Check what else is running in a system monitor like top or htop.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-01-11 23:43:05

skipperx

Re: Keyboard hesitation in Macbookpro

Thank you for getting back. I also think that you were right. Actually I seem to recall having seen X using 100% CPU listed by top at one point. Somehow I stupidly thought it was normal. I came home to post the top list for you. But now it is not doing it and I am not seeing high cpu usage. I will report back when it comes back again.

I saw some error messages fly by during booting. I cannot seem to find a boot.log file.

Board footer