You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-11 13:17:52

nvb

Tool to build and install zfsonlinux automatically is search tester

Hello community,

after doing the same steps after and after on multiple machines, i wrote a simple tool to automatically download, build and install the zfsonlinux.
With zfsonlinux, i mean the (currently) four available packages maintained by demizer.

I wrote it by using apache-ant and the project is available on github.

Since it is working on my machines i am excited how and if it is working on other environments. I'm aware that this tool is no rocketscience. But it helps me keeping my machines and zfsonlinux up to date :-).

If you find bugs of have some feature requests, tell or fork it.

A quick howto is available on the wiki page.

Last edited by nvb (2013-01-11 13:19:12)

#2 2013-01-11 13:32:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Tool to build and install zfsonlinux automatically is search tester

How does this differ from a script with four lines:

$AURHELPER $pkg1
$AURHELPER $pkg2

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-01-11 16:22:24

nvb

I must assume this is the first time my eyes are reading "AURHELPER". I straight forward lock and search for "AURHELPER zfs" wasn't that productive. So i guess the main difference is the pure non existence of the script.

Even just searching for "AURHELPER" results in the AUR_Helpers page of archlinux itself. I took a look into Aura source and it looks like even a AURHELPER is not just a four liner.

As i wrote in my first post, i'm open for improvements. If you have a finished and working one, this is the area to go for.

[edit]
After searching a bit longer i found the yaour helper. As i assume, the main difference between a AURHELPER and my solution is "bash" vs. "apache-ant". Since i am using apache-ant at work, it was an easy task to write a build.xml ;-).

Last edited by nvb (2013-01-11 16:30:17)

#4 2013-01-11 16:42:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just meant that as *any* aur helper, as most archers already have a method of installing AUR packages.  That may be yaourt, packer, home-made scripts, etc.

I didn't mean to be critical, I'm just curious how/whether this is different than just updating 4 aur packages.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2013-01-11 20:16:11

Lone_Wolf

ZFS is much harder to update then most aur pacakges, check https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=155754 .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2013-01-11 21:40:26

nvb

I build up the script the way i can update zfsonlinux since a long time. In general it follows the following steps.
Uninstall current packages (zfs, zfs-utils, spl and spl-utils).
Doing an update (pacman -Syu).
Download the source. Build and install spl-utils, build and install spl, build and instal zfs-utils, build and install zfs. Since they are depending on each other you have to do it in this chain of building and installing.
All the steps are done by the ant targets my github project is providing :-).

If somebody else has an easier way, i am open for it.

[edit]
Sorry Lone_Wolf, i just read your linked thread fully after i wrote my entry here. So it looks like i am on the right path :-).

With my ant build you only have to do:
ant uninstall
pacman -Syu
ant

Last edited by nvb (2013-01-11 21:44:39)

#7 2013-01-12 00:00:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Cool, that makes sense.  Sorry If I sounded critical, I was just missing the point as I wasn't familiar with how 'finicky' those packages were.

#8 2013-01-12 02:17:32

nvb

No problem, thats what a topic is for.

Last edited by nvb (2013-01-12 12:13:25)

Board footer