You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-11 01:59:21

Zonqt

[SOLVED] xfce+slim, suspend to RAM causes black and white strips

I recently installed a fresh copy of Arch. When I click the "suspend to RAM" xfce button the screen turns off as it should, but when I try to resume I see 5 columns of black and white stripes (like a flattened checkerboard ). Alternatively when I click the "suspend to disk" (hibernate) button the screen turns black but the backlight is still on, the only way to get out of this state is to do a force shutdown with the button.

I don't know if this is just an xfce problem, or if slim is also part of the problem, but it doesn't hurt to let you guys know about that as well.

Reading about this problem somewhere else as a probably graphics driver issue, here's my graphics card:
NVIDIA Corporation G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] (rev a1)

and I installed the Nvidia nouveau driver from here. I didn't see anything on that page about this kind of issue.

I also tried to add "ck-launch-session dbus-launch" to my .xinitrc file, I knew it probably wasn't the solution but I wanted to try anyways. didn't work.

I also have 2 gigs of RAM and 3 gigs in swap partition.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Zonqt (2013-01-12 02:37:59)

#2 2013-01-11 17:00:35

Zonqt

Re: [SOLVED] xfce+slim, suspend to RAM causes black and white strips

I have a slight newbie question that's related to my problem: after installing pm-utils am I supposed to have a file /etc/pm/config.d/modules? I reread the docs on suspend and standby here and the instructions are implying I should already have such a file, (since they say to modify it rather than create it), but I've installed and reinstalled the pm-utils and don't have any file there.

It's kind of important too, since i'm thinking I should put my graphics driver as one of those suspended modules...

Edit: one more interesting tid bit, when I use "pm-suspend" in the tty command line (by disabling the slim service and never going to xfce) I suspend fine. I need to have root privileges but I can just use sudo. (this is another reason why it could be a graphics card issue or I guess a privileges issue, hmm)

Edit2: I just tried to login as root from slim and hitting the suspend button, but got the same issue. So it's likely not a privileges issue. Strange.

Last edited by Zonqt (2013-01-11 17:10:49)

#3 2013-01-11 18:10:30

progandy

Try to open an XFCE session, then use a terminal to issue the pm-suspend command. What is the result then?

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2013-01-11 22:40:27

Zonqt

progandy wrote:

Try to open an XFCE session, then use a terminal to issue the pm-suspend command. What is the result then?

with slim disabled, I run "startxfce4" from the prompt, then after xfce4 loads I run "sudo pm-suspend" to get the same result as I mentioned before.

#5 2013-01-11 23:03:06

anonymous_user

Have you tried if using the nvidia/nvidia-304xx driver makes a difference?

#6 2013-01-12 02:00:21

Zonqt

anonymous_user wrote:

Have you tried if using the nvidia/nvidia-304xx driver makes a difference?

Actually I've tried to load the nvidia driver (by uninstalling nouveau) but strangely when I boot it, the default vesa driver loads instead. I'm using nvidia-304xx which should be what would use if I used nvidia proprietary drivers. When I tried the suspend button in vesa, the screen turns off like it should but when I resume the computer turns on and I assume works but the backlight is OFF (not black, no checkerboard, just off). In this state I have to blindly open a terminal and type a reboot command.

With vesa loaded I also found the suspend works fine when issued from console via the "sudo pm-suspend" command before xfce loads, just like nouveau.

Strange? I must need a different driver.

#7 2013-01-12 02:37:29

Zonqt

It works!! alright it was a video driver problem, and for some reason I think there is a problem with the nouveau driver and the kernel. I read this thread, and I don't think the problem is fixed yet. I reloaded the nvidia-304xx driver and suspend and hibernate work fine. The problem I had in loading the nvidia driver before probably happened because I forgot to re--generate the initial ramdisk image after removing "nouveau" from the modules array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (the Nouveau wiki talks about this).

Board footer