You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-05 18:17:26

equant

Can't Login as root or non-root after upgrade

I was trying to upgrade my system with pacman when my system froze.  No virtual consoles, no response to anything.  I let it sit for 20 minutes and then held my breath and reset the computer.  Now when I try to log in as root I get...

System is booting up.
System is booting up.

Login incorrect

... and when I try to log in as any user I get ...

System is booting up.

Login incorrect

I have no idea how to begin to fix this.  Searching through the forum I have found many posts with a similar problem, but they can all log in as root.

Thanks.

Last edited by equant (2013-01-05 18:18:34)

#2 2013-01-05 19:20:42

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Can't Login as root or non-root after upgrade

You will need to boot from a live medium and look through your logs to determine what needs fixing. See the wiki article on chroot.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2013-01-06 00:11:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

After the chroot, the simplest next step would be to attempt a `pacman -Syu`.  It may not complete, then you'll have to investigate.  But if it does, it may be all that is needed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2013-01-06 17:22:02

equant

Thanks for the responses.  I chrooted to my old system and tried `pacman -Syu` and got a lock error, so I (thought) I removed the lock file and tried again, same error.  I could 'cd' from dir to dir, but 'ls' showed no files in all directories.  I exited the chroot session and looked at the mount.  Lots of expected files.  The lock files was still there so I deleted it and chrooted back to my old system again.  Ran 'pacman -Syu' and it made it through, but there were errors.  I exited, unmounted and reboot.

Now a new problem.  When I boot now I get an error even earlier...

ERROR: device 'UUID=3f178....' not found. Skipping fsck.
ERROR: Unable to find root device 'UUID=3f178....'.
You are bing dropped to a recovery shell
      Type 'exit' to try and continue booting

Then if I type exit a few times to get through all of the partitions, I get a Kernel panic.

I double checked the UUID and it's the UUID of my root partition.  I also ran fsck over each partition on the disk and it reported no problems.

I don't know what it means when using the chrooted system I can't see any files, but I can execute binary files.

#5 2013-01-12 02:38:55

cfr

If you are booted from an Arch install disk, you can also run pacman without chrooting but specifying the appropriate root and cachedir options. Note that you need to be careful doing this and will likely have to do some tidying up afterwards even if it works.

But it would probably be useful to know *what* errors you got when running pacman. Just knowing there were some is not very informative. What do you mean that it "made it through"? It completed despite the errors? Or...?

There are quite a lot of threads about the can't-find-root-device error but given the history of your issue, I don't know whether those would be applicable or not.

Last edited by cfr (2013-01-12 02:41:26)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer